flicki

Changes in I-130, "evidence that bona fides your marriage"

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I noticed on the new I-130 form (expires 11/30/07 not 1/31/07) that USCIS now wants evidence that bona fides your marriage via:

1) Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3) Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or

4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

Does anyone have any experience with submitting this type of evidence? They are all "or's" so I assume that one of the above is sufficient.

For my particular case, I'm thinking of having both our parents sign affidavits saying they were present at the wedding and include a picture.

Notice that the instructions say "should submit", not "must". I think it is not a requirement, and they are trying to collect all of the possible documents that the consulate may want to see. But if I were filing today, I'd certainly go ahead and submit whatever evidence I could find. I think also it's more important for AOS than CR-1, since for many like myself it would be difficult to provide evidence of valid marriage, being we have not lived together yet.

View pictures of my April/May trip to the Philippines

View pictures of my Sept trip to the Philippines

Gary (California, USA) filamflag.gif Fely (Zambales, Philippines)

09-11-06 Married

10-12-06 I-130 Mailed Priority

10-14-06 Delivered to CSC

10-16-06 CSC receipt date

10-18-06 NOA1 date

10-19,20,21-06 Touched

12-28,29-06 Touched and very happy about it

12-28-06 NOA2 date

01-15-07 Received at NVC & DS3032 & AOS bill sent

01-20-07 AOS fee bill received

01-30-07 eMailed DS3032 choice of agent

02-05-07 Received email approval for DS3032

02-20-07 Received I-864 package

02-23-07 Received IV fee bill

02-27-07 Paid IV fee

03-12-07 Info packet generated

03-20-07 Mailed I-864 package

03-31-07 Received info packet

04-04-07 RFE mailed by NVC

04-26-07 Mailed RFE response & DS-230 packet to NVC

04-30-07 NVC receives papers

05-10-07 Case complete

05-22-07 Case left NVC

05-24-07 Received pkt 4 in California

06-07-07 Medical Exam

06-28-07 Interview (approved)

06-24-07 - 07-16-07 Gary's trip to Philippines, and I brought Fely home

07-27-07 SSN card received

08-13-08 Green card received

07-10-09 I-751 mailed

08-15-09 Lifting of conditions approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't have experience with this (used the old for for K3) but it also wouldn't hurt to show proof of visits, letters, email, phone calls, gifts, etc.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Timeline

flicki,

The instructions say "submit one or more".

An interesting addition to the instructions. The first 3 items might be applicable if the alien spouse is already living in the USA, but are unlikely to be applicable if they are not. Looks like most people will be going with item 6.

An affidavit saying 'I was at the wedding', and photos of the wedding, do not address the issue of whether or not the marriage is bona fide - the fact that a wedding took place is well enough established by the marriage certificate. (Except in places where a wedding is not required for marriage, in which case these things prove nothing at all).

A joint US tax return would be excellent evidence, as would a joint bank account, both of which can be obtained while the alien spouse is still in their home country.

Yodrak

I noticed on the new I-130 form (expires 11/30/07 not 1/31/07) that USCIS now wants evidence that bona fides your marriage via:

4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

Does anyone have any experience with submitting this type of evidence? They are all "or's" so I assume that one of the above is sufficient.

For my particular case, I'm thinking of having both our parents sign affidavits saying they were present at the wedding and include a picture.

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm worrying about that now. Mels house was passed down from his Grandparents. My name will never be on it. We can open a joint Bank Account together, I hope that will be enough. I am on his Medical Insurance and I will be added to the car insurance. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. We can get Affadavits from many people though.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
flicki,

The instructions say "submit one or more".

An interesting addition to the instructions. The first 3 items might be applicable if the alien spouse is already living in the USA, but are unlikely to be applicable if they are not. Looks like most people will be going with item 6.

An affidavit saying 'I was at the wedding', and photos of the wedding, do not address the issue of whether or not the marriage is bona fide - the fact that a wedding took place is well enough established by the marriage certificate. (Except in places where a wedding is not required for marriage, in which case these things prove nothing at all).

A joint US tax return would be excellent evidence, as would a joint bank account, both of which can be obtained while the alien spouse is still in their home country.

Yodrak

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

I am having my husband added to the lease of the house, even though he is not here yet, we do not own property.

I also contacted my bank and they will not add him to the account until he has a valid social security number and can come in "in person" with his IDs and sign...they said something about the Patriot Act requiring this.

We are also filing joint for 2006 taxes so I will provide a copy of everything related to that.

(F) ~Kiyah~ (F)

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

Filed: Timeline

Kiya,

Different banks have different interpretations of what it takes to be in compliance with the Patriot Act. Many are quite strict, as yours is, others are not so strict.

The credit union where I bank gave me a signature card to send to my wife. She mailed it back directly to the bank. I forget what else we provided in the way of ID for her, perhaps a copy of the ID page of her passport. Needed a SSN for only 1 person on a joint account, for tax purposes, so mine was adequate and she did not need one.

Yodrak

flicki,

Yodrak

I also contacted my bank and they will not add him to the account until he has a valid social security number and can come in "in person" with his IDs and sign...they said something about the Patriot Act requiring this.

We are also filing joint for 2006 taxes so I will provide a copy of everything related to that.

~Kiyah~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I also think that goes back to the AOS or spouse and you living in the same country..maybe even DCF.

I believe the Government understands there is only SO MUCH you can do to be married and live in different countries, and does not have unrealistic expectations. These new instructions, as stated before, are not REQUIRED but SUGGESTED!

If you have good solid evidence of any kind as listed throughout the application, I would think it is sufficient (notwithstanding other factors unique to your case)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

You can visit us at: www.BradAndVicky.com

CR-1 Process (I-130)

06/02/06 - I-130 received @ USCIS Texas Service Center

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Dated 6/22 & check cashed

08/29/06 - Approved by email - 91 DAYS!!!

09/05/06 - NOA2 received by mail

09/20/06 - NVC assigned Case #

10/02/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/04/06 - DS3032 Shortcut Emailed & AOS Fee Bill Shortcut Sent

10/06/06 - Received email acceptance of DS3032

10/18/06 - Received & Returned IV Fee Bill

10/20/06 - I-864 Package Generated, Shorcut Sent

11/01/06 - DS-230 Package Generated, Shortcut Sent

12/01/06 - Case Complete!!!

12/07/06 - Case sent to US Embassy, Bogota

01/15/07 - Received packet from Bogota!

01/30/07 - Bogota Interview - Approved! (visa received same day)

02/08/07 - Welcome to the E.U. mi Amor!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I have found it difficult for anyone to help in regards to help my wife and I merge our finances. The bank wants her to be there in person, the apartment complex needs her to be there in person.... Obviously that isn't going to happen until she gets here..

I-129F Timeline

07-14-06-I-129F Sent

07-16-06-I-129F Arrived in Chicago

07-20-06-I-129F NOA 1

07-27-06-Touched

10-23-06-Touched

11-18-06-Touched

11-22-06-Touched

11-24-06-Approved

11-27-06-Touched

12-04-06-NVC Received

12-06-06-NVC Left

12-14-06-Arrived at Consulate

01-04-07-Packet 3 Received

01-05-07-Packet 3 Sent

01-10-07-Medical Examination

02-13-07-Interview in Johannesburg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yes this one puzzled me too as we dont want to mix our finances together - it isn't essential for a bona fide marriage these days.

Similarly there is no point putting my house in joint names when we will be selling it soon and going to the US hopefully...

So all I did was to emphasise that we both shared the same address here in the UK with our bank statements (individual) and correspondence to each of us from credit cards etc

actually i did send em a joint bank account - it has 10 quid in it !

but to open that account isnt easy and proves she is in the UK in person with the right residency documents to open a bank account

so we are relying on the 'other information' only...

hope they dont want proof of consumation as sending a video of that through the mail might invoke 'moral turpitude' on the visa application...

It gets dafter..

alan

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
hope they dont want proof of consumation as sending a video of that through the mail might invoke 'moral turpitude' on the visa application...

It gets dafter..

alan

ok that made me snort.......LMAO

google.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have found it difficult for anyone to help in regards to help my wife and I merge our finances. The bank wants her to be there in person, the apartment complex needs her to be there in person.... Obviously that isn't going to happen until she gets here..

Bank of America allowed my now husband then fiance to add my name to his accounts and to issue a credit card for me on his account while I was still in Canada. I didn't have a SSN until several weeks after I moved to the States, 6 months after my name was added to the account. Statements were, of course, mailed to his US address.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

alan

Absolutely hilarious! :lol:

USCIS (CR-1)

06/30/2006 Mailed I-130 USPS Overnight Mail to Nebraska (NSC)

07/03/2006 Express Mail signed for at NSC

07/08/2006 Found out on VJ that my case is transferred to California (CSC)

07/21/2006 NOA1

11/02/2006 NOA2

NVC

11/13/2006 NVC Case # Assigned

11/20/2006 DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill generated

11/21/2006 Emailed Choice of Agent (from wife/non-USC) in lieu of DS-3032

11/21/2006 Sent AOS Fee Bill Payment via USPS Overnight Mail

11/30/2006 NVC Processed AOS Fee Bill Payment (still no record of receiving Choice of Agent Email)

12/04/2006 Sent DS-3032 Choice of Agent USPS Overnight

12/11/2006 Received I-864 Affidavit of Support (AOS) in mail

12/11/2006 Sent I-864 AOS to NVC via USPS Overnight

12/11/2006 Immigrant Visa (IV) Fee Bill Generated

12/18/2006 Received IV Fee Bill in the mail

12/18/2006 Sent IV Fee Bill payment to NVC via USPS Overnight

01/03/2007 Sent DS-230 USPS Overnight

01/08/2007 NVC processed DS-230

01/12/2007 Received DS-230 (Part 1) and the list of "Documents You Need to Obtain" for Embassy Interview in mail

02/06/2007 Case Complete @ NVC

02/13/2007 Case sent to Embassy

Embassy

03/15/2007 Received Interview Instructions (aka Packet 4)

04/03/2007 Lab Tests

04/04/2007 Medical Exam

04/10/2007 Interview (Conditional Approval)

04/12/2007 Visa Approved!

04/18/2007 Visa in Hand, Gracias a Dios !!!

04/19/2007 Arrival in USA !!! (POE = Atlanta)

05/29/2007 Received Green Card in mail

www.MarriageBuilders.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.