63 posts in this topic

So just to make sure I am understanding you properly...

Are you saying that because we have such high liquid assets that we could get away with declaring the apartment value in assets with only submitting the tax assessment and mortgage statement for it? (If this is the case, are we at any risk of getting a checklist if they decide that it is insufficient proof?)

or

Are you saying that because our liquid assets are so high, that we simply should be approved without declaring the apartment value at all?

Second one ^^^^

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

So just to make sure I am understanding you properly...

Are you saying that because we have such high liquid assets that we could get away with declaring the apartment value in assets with only submitting the tax assessment and mortgage statement for it? (If this is the case, are we at any risk of getting a checklist if they decide that it is insufficient proof?)

or

Are you saying that because our liquid assets are so high, that we simply should be approved without declaring the apartment value at all?

Either or both. It won't hurt to declare the apartment value and document the equity (value minus mortgage) with a tax assessment value and mortgage statement. If they don't like your documentation, at least they know of the approximate value and you'll qualify based on the liquid assets anyway. It can only help, to add positive information.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My 2013 tax return transcript is finally available to download from the IRS website. However, there is a slight problem. On my 2012 and 2011 transcripts, it shows my total income as 0. On the 2013 one, it says “-36,000”. Every year on my 1040, I list my income as, for example “(36,000)” because the instructions say to list foreign earned income with parenthesis to show it is negative when you fill out the 2555EZ (foreign earned income exclusion). I don’t know why the transcripts for 2012 and 2011 would have “0” there and the 2013 one would have the negative amount when I filled them out the same way each time. Do you think someone at the IRS messed up? Now I am afraid I will get a checklist… Should I still write the values exactly as they appear on the transcripts “0” for 2012 and 2011 and “-36,000” for 2013?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

I-130 approved 2014-05-14

NVC received 2014-05-23

DS-261/AOS bill 2014-07-01

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

Yes. They will expect your affidavit to match the tax return transcripts. You are qualifying on assets anyway.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yes. They will expect your affidavit to match the tax return transcripts. You are qualifying on assets anyway.

I called NVC last night and finally got my case number. While on the phone, I also asked about the tax return amount question that I just asked you. The person on the phone gave the same response as you, so thanks for being correct as usual.

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

Just found out my joint sponsor had a little unemployment last year. His earnings plus his spouse's earnings combined without the unemployment is already over the poverty line by about $2000 and they have tons of assets. Is it even worth including the unemployment or does it just look bad?

If we did include it, what documents are required?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

If the unemployment is from last year, then it's going to be on the tax return and included in the 2013 income stated on the form anyway.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I have an important question. My dad (joint sponsor) mailed me his I-864 but he made a mistake on a couple of the pages where he needed to hand-write something that wouldn't fit in the box if typed. He did it wrong. If I was to just print and write on those pages myself and replace the new ones with the ones he made a mistake on, would NVC be able to tell? I know it has that bar code on the bottom. Would it end up not matching the other sheets or something? I can have him send the whole thing again but it will take several more days.

I have another question. Our joint sponsor also sent us documents like pay stubs and financial asset statements. On these statements he wrote all kinds of stuff explaining what they are in pen and circled important numbers. This would be an alteration of the original document. I always thought that we would have to explain things like that on a separate notes sheet. Is NVC going to accept files that are written on like that or are we going to get a check list if we submit them?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

Also my joint sponsor's household member calculated current annual income using GROSS pay from pay stubs but wouldn't it need to be the value of NET pay?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

I have an important question. My dad (joint sponsor) mailed me his I-864 but he made a mistake on a couple of the pages where he needed to hand-write something that wouldn't fit in the box if typed. He did it wrong. If I was to just print and write on those pages myself and replace the new ones with the ones he made a mistake on, would NVC be able to tell? I know it has that bar code on the bottom. Would it end up not matching the other sheets or something? I can have him send the whole thing again but it will take several more days.

I have another question. Our joint sponsor also sent us documents like pay stubs and financial asset statements. On these statements he wrote all kinds of stuff explaining what they are in pen and circled important numbers. This would be an alteration of the original document. I always thought that we would have to explain things like that on a separate notes sheet. Is NVC going to accept files that are written on like that or are we going to get a check list if we submit them?

You can write on the pages you already have. No problem that he made notes on the statements.

Also my joint sponsor's household member calculated current annual income using GROSS pay from pay stubs but wouldn't it need to be the value of NET pay?

Gross pay is correct.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

You can write on the pages you already have. No problem that he made notes on the statements.

Gross pay is correct.

Thank you again for the quick reply. So just to clarify, I CAN go ahead and just re-print and hand write myself on pages that he screwed up and replace them completely? My concern is that the paper color/ thickness or the color /texture of the pen used and also handwriting will differ from the other pages of the I-864. I also am honestly curious about the bar code. It says that it changes as you fill it out. Aren't they going to be able to tell that it was printed and prepared by different people at different locations?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

Thank you again for the quick reply. So just to clarify, I CAN go ahead and just re-print and hand write myself on pages that he screwed up and replace them completely? My concern is that the paper color/ thickness or the color /texture of the pen used and also handwriting will differ from the other pages of the I-864. I also am honestly curious about the bar code. It says that it changes as you fill it out. Aren't they going to be able to tell that it was printed and prepared by different people at different locations?

No, that's not what I said. I said you can write on the pages you already have. Why would you need to print new pages? Be specific.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

No, that's not what I said. I said you can write on the pages you already have. Why would you need to print new pages? Be specific.

Sorry. Specifically what I mean is that my father hand-wrote in some fields but he crossed stuff out in pen and then re-wrote it and what he wrote goes outside the boundaries of the provided field (he wrote outside the lines). I know NVC will checklist us for that. So, what I was thinking was that since only 2 of the pages of the I-864 that he physically mailed me have mistakes, I could just re-print them (using a printer) and then write in the parts that he messed up on again myself, replacing the ones that had mistakes and keeping the originals he sent for the rest. The only page that normally he would physically need to write on is the one that requires his signature but our foreign address is too long to fit in one of the fields so hand writing it allows it to fit, but he still screwed it up and wrote it wrong. There are other pages where he wrote "N/A" by hand a bunch because the way the PDF file is formatted, it doesn't allow for certain character inputs so he couldn't type it. So, if I was to physically write something on the form using a different pen than him and having different hand writing, I worry that if they compare it to other sheets, they will be suspicious. I also am concerned because the bar codes may differ if printed at different times from different computers. Do you get what I am worried about? Should I just have him re-do it and send the whole thing again by FedEx?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

Re-do it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***One hijack post and six replies to it removed. If you have a question about your own case, please start your own thread.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.