21 posts in this topic

So, I'm 1 day off my 2 week mark from entering into the country. I thought I'd give it a try today because tomorrow I am not around to go.

I went in, and told the woman I was here to apply for a SSN. I told her I entered on a K1. She goes, "Can a K1 work with just a SSN?" To which I replied, "No, I have to wait for the EAD so the back of the SSN states I can't work"

She then proceeds to agree and tell me, "Yes, well see you don't need a SSN then. We don't give them out. You can't work with it, so you don't need it."

I told her yes I was entitled to one, and I pulled out my handy dandy printout that states our class of viasa are eligible for a SSN but just can't work.

So she got huffy, typed my name in and said I wasn't in the system yet.

She told me to come back on Friday and ask for the Supervisor to see if I was in the system, and then she shut the window right in my face.

I wasn't trying to tell her how to do her job or anything, I just came prepared with literature and back up.

Let's hope Friday goes well. I can't do squat without a SSN.

I just wanted to share.

Have a great day!

Adjustment of Status 2008

May 6, 2008 ~~~~~~~ I751 package mailed to Vermont

May 17, 2008 ~~~~~~~~Check Cashed

May 19, 2008 ~~~~~~~~ NOA1

June 20, 2008 ~~~~~~~ Fingerprinting appointment

April 1, 2009 ~~~~~~~~ APPROVED!!!!

K-1 Visa

October 11, 2005 ~~~~~ Mailed I129F (Vermont)

October 25, 2005 ~~~~~ NOA2 in email (yay)

February 8, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview Day! APPROVED!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

March 27, 2006 ~~~~~~ Mailed AOS, EAD, AP to Chicago

March 29, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS, EAD, AP arrives at Chicago Lockbox

March 31, 2006 ~~~~~~~ NOA's for all 3

April 18, 2006 ~~~~~~ Biometrics Appointment in Providence

May 15, 2006 ~~~~~~ RFE in the mail-more financial info

May 26, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS touched

June 19, 2006 ~~~~~ EAD Card in the mail

July 27, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview for Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yeah, same thing happened to me. Though I don't think I got the window shut in my face. Hey, it's always better to have back-up! Sometimes you know better than those people, especially if they haven't had experience with a K1 before. Just go back again soon and hopefully you'll be in the system then. Best of luck! :)

January 10, 2003: K1 NOA

October 23, 2003: AOS NOA

November 10, 2005: AOS approved w/o interview (749 days!!)

September 30, 2009: German Beibehaltungsgenehmigung

February 9, 2010: Naturalization interview and Oath Ceremony!

View profile for detailed timeline

So, I'm 1 day off my 2 week mark from entering into the country. I thought I'd give it a try today because tomorrow I am not around to go.

I went in, and told the woman I was here to apply for a SSN. I told her I entered on a K1. She goes, "Can a K1 work with just a SSN?" To which I replied, "No, I have to wait for the EAD so the back of the SSN states I can't work"

She then proceeds to agree and tell me, "Yes, well see you don't need a SSN then. We don't give them out. You can't work with it, so you don't need it."

I told her yes I was entitled to one, and I pulled out my handy dandy printout that states our class of viasa are eligible for a SSN but just can't work.

She told me to come back on Friday and ask for the Supervisor to see if I was in the system, and then she shut the window right in my face.

I wasn't trying to tell her how to do her job or anything, I just came prepared with literature and back up.

I just wanted to share.

Have a great day!

I had to insist on going up through two levels of supervisors and thrusting their own handbook under their eyes before i could get them to agree to process my SSN from a K-1........Received it within 10 days after that :)

I just wanted to share.

Have a great day!

Welcome to the U.S. :lol: Unfortunately, you're going to find a good number of "civil servants" (no pun) behave similarly. Most could never function in industry and seek out jobs where they can suck the life out of the rest of us; just leeches and parasites....... :no:

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Which SSA office was this (City and State) and address if you have it?

The Social Security office sucks big time! My local office has been just as rude to me the two times I have been there. I also went armed with my literature from MD Young and like you said, they close their ears off to you when you try telling them what it says!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Next time you go back, remind them the SSNs aren't only used for working. You need an SSN to even think about applying for credit, and banks prefer to have them when you open an account, so that they can report interest earned to the IRS.

G

I-129F Filing

G (USA)

L (Scotland)

2005-02-05 Sent to TSC

2005-03-02 NOA2 rcvd

2005-04-27 Medical - 3:40 pm in Edinburgh

2005-05-19 Interview - approved!!

2005-06-12 G & L fly to Florida

2005-08-20 Wedding day!!

2005-09-15 Sent AOS docs

2005-09-23 NOA1 rcvd for 485, 765, and 131

2005-11-28 AP rcvd

2006-01-03 EAD rcvd

2006-03-08 AOS interview - Success - pending FBI name check!!

2006-04-05 Rcvd the 'Welcome To America' email. Name check is done!!

2006-04-17 Green Card Received!!

2008-02-05 Sent I-751 to remove conditions

2008-02-11 I-751 received in Texas

2008-02-25 Check finally cashed!!

2008-03-19 Biometrics completed in West Palm Beach

2008-12-23 Rcvd notification of GC production

2008-12-30 Rcvd notification of confirmation letter going in the mail.

"Just as our DNA is unique, so too is our visa processing experience."

G 3/31/05

Filed: Timeline
Next time you go back, remind them the SSNs aren't only used for working. You need an SSN to even think about applying for credit, and banks prefer to have them when you open an account, so that they can report interest earned to the IRS.

Oh that will make then shake in their boots and bring them to their knees. LOL

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100201005

RM 00201.005 Program Use of the Social Security Number (SSN)

Program use is any use of the SSN solely to maintain individual records under the Social Security program. Program uses include:

Maintaining earnings records of individuals whose work is covered under the Social Security Act, and

Controlling claims on, and payments made under, the Social Security Act.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

C. POLICY - INVALID NONWORK REASONS

Following is a list of benefits/services for which an SSN may be requested but which are not valid reasons for SSA to assign an SSN for nonwork purposes:

1. Federal and State Income Tax Purposes

Under U.S. tax law, taxpayers and certain other individuals must provide a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to IRS (26 USC 6109(e)). The TIN may be either the SSN assigned by SSA, or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), a 9-digit number assigned by IRS.

IRS will assign an ITIN to a taxpayer, spouse or dependent who needs a TIN for tax purposes but does not otherwise meet SSA’s requirements for an SSN.

2. Banking/Monetary Purposes

With limited exceptions, an individual must provide a Tax Identification Number (TIN) to a financial institution for an account or other monetary transaction (loan, mortgage, stock/bond purchase) for tax purposes. The TIN may be either the SSN assigned to the individual when applicable, or an ITIN assigned by the IRS.

If the alien has been present in the U.S. for less than 6 months, he/she is exempt from providing a TIN for banking purposes and should ask the financial institution for Form W-8, Certificate of Foreign Status. IRS will assign ITINs for banking purposes to aliens not authorized to work who have been present in the U.S. for 180 days or more. However, SSA does not assign SSNs solely for this purpose.

I wasnt in the system yet, but the lady was real friendly, told me to wait and she'd call me into the office. We all got to sit down whilst paperwork got prepared to verify my status. An a couple of weeks later SSN was in the mail. Like stated before, suppose we sometimes know better purely for the fact that we've actually been through it huh.

I have to be honest in saying, I trust ppl's opinions and advice on here more than I ever will the advice they give me on immigration hotline!

12/07/05 - receive K1 & K2 visa from embassy

12/09/05 - flew to Lincoln, NE - moving to USA to be with my hun :)

12/27/05 - apply for SSN

02/03/06 - receive SSN

02/04/06 - WE TIE THE KNOT :):)

02/09/06 - applied for State ID - learning to drive.....

02/13/06 - re-applying SSN - married name

02/15/06 - starting AOS and EAD process

02/18/06 - finally got everything in the post (certified mail via USPS)

02/20/06 - package delivered to Chicago (on Presidants Day??)

02/27/06 - NOA1 for 2x AOS and EAD

03/04/06 - biometrics letters received for 2x AOS & EAD

03/13/06 - biometrics appointment in Omaha, NE

03/14/06 - both AOS and EAD got touched... as a result of biometrics?!

06/09/06 - EAD approved

08/03/06 - AOS interview - APPROVED!

11/05/06 - found out we were pregnant :):):):):):):)

07/09/07 - Gabriella is born 7lbs 4oz. - 20 inch. long - an Angel sent from above

05/02/08 - Immigration again... removing conditions this time....

05/09/08 - My son received his extension letter

05/13/08 - I receive my NOA1 - here for at least another year!

05/28/08 - getting my biometrics done

09/30/08 - GC APPROVED - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!!!!!!

<a href="

I think we are so lucky, everything Claudeth had to do was done easily and quickly.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Pretty much the same thing happened to us. We went prepared with all the "paperwork" and nobody there seemed to care. They all acted like we were from another planet :hehe: Finally, the Security Guard was the one who got us to the Supervisor. She really wasn't too much help either (after 3 hours of waiting...) she made a copy of the Visa page and handed us a "form letter" saying if we don't hear something in four-six weeks that we should come back.

As I was obsessing about going back to the office -- the card came. Exactly four weeks and one day since we were there....

In Illinois you can't get a State ID card or Drivers License without the SS card. Can't open a bank account or do much of anything. I think I would have lost my mind if someone told me that he didn't "need" it because he was not authorized to work :angry:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
Pretty much the same thing happened to us. We went prepared with all the "paperwork" and nobody there seemed to care. They all acted like we were from another planet :hehe: Finally, the Security Guard was the one who got us to the Supervisor. She really wasn't too much help either (after 3 hours of waiting...) she made a copy of the Visa page and handed us a "form letter" saying if we don't hear something in four-six weeks that we should come back.

As I was obsessing about going back to the office -- the card came. Exactly four weeks and one day since we were there....

In Illinois you can't get a State ID card or Drivers License without the SS card. Can't open a bank account or do much of anything. I think I would have lost my mind if someone told me that he didn't "need" it because he was not authorized to work :angry:

My husband had to wait for his EAD to get his social. The social security office would not get it processed. They'd take the info and documentation and then look at us like we were crazy and I think they just threw the application away once we left. So my hubby couldn't drive till he got the EAD either. It really sucked.

AND in Illinois yes you can open a bank account without a social. there is a special form they fill out for the situation. My hubby was on my account 2 days after we got married.

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I think we are so lucky, everything Claudeth had to do was done easily and quickly.

I have to agree, my process went very nicely as well. Luck of the draw, I guess.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OK, we add our experience now, TRYING to get Social Security card....

I brought my fiance from Viet Nam on K-1 visa, and 2 weeks later, we married.

We went down the next week to get our certified copy of Marriage License and certified copy of Affidavit, so we could go to the Social Security office , do name change since my wife wants to take my married name...The County said we take those papers with her passport/visa/I-94 and that is normal procedure

BUT....Social Security office looked at her passport and and did not even look at the marriage license or affidavit, and said

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.