Master Semaj

Employment and Education from another country?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I'll be driving soon and I have my work permit so it's time to start looking around for work. My question is regarding all my education and qualifications I got in the UK educational system: is any of that going to mean anything here? Even down to the old stuff, are my GCSE's enough of an equivalent for a High School diploma? Do I need to take some kind of test or convert my UK grades into US?

Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? How have you dealt with it?

Current Status: AOS - Processing

Happily Married Dec 6th 2013 <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That covers a lot of different systems, I remember thinking the Chemists in Yugoslavia were good.

Might have changed since Tito went.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm looking for more specific information. My wife mentioned about getting my "transcripts" but I don't have anything like that from the UK, just my certificates from secondary school and from college which show my qualifications/grades, obviously they are under a different education system than what the US has.

My question is, do I need to get my educational achievements converted into a US acceptable version in order to successfully apply for jobs?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It's up to the individual employer to determine your educational qualifications. There is no centralized acceptable conversion that an employer has to accept.

A US college transcript has a student's grades and degree earned. You have this document - you just call it something else.

Do you need to have your transcript converted? Maybe. No employer has ever asked for my grades.

Timeline

My main concern is with pursuing college education in the US (an apprentice school, not quite proper college level but its above highschool and GED's) and whether my GCSE grades and my National Diploma (B-Tec) from a UK college will compute with them on an official level. Obviously my best bet is to ask them directly but I'm also looking to hear from other people and their experiences and knowledge.

Timeline

Varies so ask them.

WES is quite common.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yep

WES

Timeline

Yep

WES

What is "common" about it, you're not being very clear.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

WES = World Education Services

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

I used WES a lot, my grad school needed it, they asked for it when I applied for a state license and a national license.. The sad part is it cost something like $200 to get the evaluation done, and then everytime I ask them to send a sealed copy to someone, they charge me $40. I can't wait to get it over with and never have to deal with them again. Hopefully this year :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

To answer your question - you will need a GED or your A-levels to really be considered high school diploma equivalent. My husband ran into this issue because although he did a year more school than necessary (10th grade) and did go to trade 'college' in Denmark, it could not account for high school in terms of applying to colleges or trade schools here. He feels comfortable telling employers that he finished high school, because he technically did by Danish standards and took trade school courses, but the colleges are familiar enough to know that he needs gymnasium like you would need A-levels.

GED is easy cakes, though. He is taking it this week, but he passed the pre tests without even studying.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

so if you don't have your credentials, you can just take GED

Port of Entry : Los Angeles
POE Date : 2013-05-23
Married: 2013-09-16

Adjustment of Status
CIS Office : Dallas TX
Date Filed : 2014-03-24
NOA Date : 2014-04-02
Bio. Appt. : 2014-04-24
Testing and Interview : 2014-05-06
Interview Appt. : 2014-11-24. APPROVED.

Removal of Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center
Date Filed : 2016-08-29
NOA Date : 2016-09 -01
Bio. Appt. : 2016-10 -13
Testing and Interview : 2016- -
Interview Appt. : 2016- - .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.