Kajikit

What do you think makes a 'good' parent?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If motherhood (or parenting in general) was a position that required a job interview, what would you be looking for in the candidates? IQ? Physical appearance? Health? Training? etc. What do you think are the basic requirements for being a good parent?

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ability to care for a child....home, money, stable household...education (mandatory parenting classes) including assessments to make sure they "Got it"

Examine number of children the mother has already and how they are supported (mentally and financially)

I'm not saying the parent has to be rich - but have enough funds AND a realistic idea of what it takes to care for a child.

I hate to do this - but I think there should be an age limit on it (hey this is hypothetical right?) I see too many pregnant teens...many of whom have MULTIPLE pregnancies before the age of 18...I think they should have to complete HS first.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I don’t have kids, so I’ll go by how I was raised. My parents were strict but fair, put our day to day needs before their own, but also disciplined us when we were bold…and we were devils!! They helped us with our homework and brought us to the library once a week to get books. They involved us in sports (hurling, basketball, swimming and rounders) and we visited my Grandparents every 2nd week and played on their farm.

As we got older, if we acted like kids…we were treated like kids, if we acted responsibly, they allowed us a little more freedom. We worked part-time jobs as soon as we were allowed, and gave a certain amount of our wages to our parents as “mini-rent”. We were never pressured into areas (jobs, school, college) we did not want, instead they focussed on our strengths.

They hugged each other a lot, and were always messing and joking around together. In a nutshell, they’re just down to earth people who I believe, respected us as individual people, but were never afraid to give out to us and make us learn from our mistakes (which were many!!). Plus, they’re great craic to be around too!!

I just haven't the slightest clue how they're still sane after raising us or how they kept us on the straight and narrow. Mam said it just comes to you naturally :)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

The most important quality of a good parent would be selflessness. They need the ability to put the health and welfare of the child before their own. The happiness and success of the child before their own.

Another important quality is confidence. The confidence in your ability as a parent to know it's ok to discipline and to trust yourself.

I guess the third important quality is respect. A child, though young, is still a human being deserving of respect.

Other things that I think are important include responsibility (providing healthy meals, establishing schedules and bedtimes), intelligence (to teach the child), maturity (to handle all the various obstacles life throws without breaking down), and a good work ethic (to be a good provider, provide healthy surroundings for the child to grow up in).

I forgot a couple of the most important: tenderness and compassion.

Edited by MissLiss

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline
A good parent is one who gives his or her child any kind of candy they want, when they want it, without any fuss.

:lol::lol::lol: that's probably what I used to think too.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

First requirement......a sense of humor.

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

the ability to say something and stick with it. ie: set boundaries and be consistent when they are broken.

children also deserve to be smothered with love & happiness ... if parents are not happy with themselves or relationship, they have no right to bring a child into this world.

it usually happens that one generation of morons creates another generation of morons ... remember, you're not raising a child, you're raising an adult.

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

as much as ya'll would like to, it is impossible to "sum up" what makes a good parent. It's not the individual qualities, it's the whole picture. It's not a certain quality, it's the ability to have ANY and EVERY quality needed to deal with ANY kid, as all kids are different and need different things.

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

Filed: Timeline
A good parent is one who gives his or her child any kind of candy they want, when they want it, without any fuss.

I agree.

its funny you said that. that was the reason I picked my mom. I was adopted.

she gave me some butter scotch - man oh man. she was my favorite person in the world that day.. :lol:

shon.gif

patience..understanding...guidance..and compassion...and direction...not afraid to discipline and make mistakes..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Someone that doesn't try to be the child's best friend or buddy. Someone that will make the decision that's in the child's best interest, not the most popular one.

i agree with that...too many friends not enough parents...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
I'm not saying the parent has to be rich - but have enough funds AND a realistic idea of what it takes to care for a child.

This sounds good, but to be honest I don't think anyone really knows until after the fact. Basically, if you think you know ... you have probably underestimated. But I agree that there are too many kids having babies thinking things like the baby will love me and this will make my boyfriend stay ...

The truth is, you have to be prepared to love unconditionally and not always get it back. When your child says he/she loves you it feels wonderful, but when the words are "I hate you" it's very heartbreaking even when you know it isn't true.

Kids require a lot of time and patience. More now than ever and yet parents often have less time to give them now. When I was growing up I didnt receive homework until 5th grade and my parents rarely had to help me with it. Homework starts in kindergarten and at the younger ages almost always requires the parents help.

To be a good parent requires a person to be prepared to put the needs of the child(ren) before everything else. It requires a lot of sacrifice.

Edited by meddykomp

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F