arul4mathur

marry US citizen on tourist visa and have religious ceremony but not legal ceremony

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello. Hoping for some guidance.

I am a US citizen. She is an Indian citizen. She has a 10+ year US tourist VISA that she has had since before she met me. My research indicates we have two options for marriage: she comes here on tourist VISA and then after 60+ days we get married or I file for a K-1 VISA but that can take an year.

With either of these options, will there be any issues with us doing a religious, not legal, ceremony in India before she comes or before she gets the K-1? So we'd have a "wedding" but it wouldn't be "official" as we wouldn't register it with the Indian government.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

entering the US with a visitor visa with intent to marry and adjust status is visa fraud. If you marry, religious or not, registered or not, married is married, you will not be eligible for a k1 visa, you will have to file an i130 for a spouse visa.

Stop trying to circumvent the system just because you want to be together faster, we have all had to wait. You have 2 choices. an 129f for k-1 and get married in the US within 90 days after her entry on the k-1. Or get married first in India and file an i130 for cr1 spouse visa. Any religious ceremony, registered will be construed as marriage by USCIS and by the consulate. The US has immigration laws for a reason.

Nothing stopping her from coming over on her tourist visa, getting married (legally and religiously) and returning to India while your I-130 is being processed for a spousal visa. You don't have to wait 60 days from when she arrives to have the ceremony. The important part is that a) she doesn't adjust status while visiting and b) she goes home during processing. The I-130 results in a CR1 visa, which will allow her to work and travel immediately as well.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~inquiry about spouse vs. fiancé(e) visas~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

entering the US with a visitor visa with intent to marry and adjust status is visa fraud. If you marry, religious or not, registered or not, married is married, you will not be eligible for a k1 visa, you will have to file an i130 for a spouse visa.

Stop trying to circumvent the system just because you want to be together faster, we have all had to wait. You have 2 choices. an 129f for k-1 and get married in the US within 90 days after her entry on the k-1. Or get married first in India and file an i130 for cr1 spouse visa. Any religious ceremony, registered will be construed as marriage by USCIS and by the consulate. The US has immigration laws for a reason.

Thank you. I did not realize the first option was fraud. I am not trying to circumvent anything. Do you know how long the I-130 for CR1 takes? And more importantly, what do you mean by "any religious ceremony, registered"? What if it is not registered in India and we just have the religious ceremony part?

Nothing stopping her from coming over on her tourist visa, getting married (legally and religiously) and returning to India while your I-130 is being processed for a spousal visa. You don't have to wait 60 days from when she arrives to have the ceremony. The important part is that a) she doesn't adjust status while visiting and b) she goes home during processing. The I-130 results in a CR1 visa, which will allow her to work and travel immediately as well.

The information you are saying conflicts with what the person above is saying. Is it Visa fraud or not to come here on tourist visa with the intent to marry? How long does the I-130 for CR1 take? And are you saying to do the legal and religious part in America or in India?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

About entering with tourist visa or visa waiver and then getting married, do google and you'll find plenty of info on it. As for the marriage ceremony at home before coming over on K-1, that shouldn't be an issue. In fact, we are planning just that. We'll be having a ceremony at a buddhist temple, with bride's parents and all, and then come home to the States and then get the marriage license/certificate taken care of at the City Hall.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If you are married in a religious ceremony in India it is a legal marriage both in India and in the United States and you will be considered married and probably denied a K-1 visa.

I got married in India with just a religious ceremony and my husband just got approved for a CR-1 visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You can marry on a tourist visa, the fraud comes in if you decide to Adjust status (AOS)... Entering the USA as a tourist with the intent to marry and adjust status is illegial... But marrying here, then filing for spouse visa with her returning to India to process is fine.

Be careful with religious ceremonies that aren't "legal" there is a predicament that some who have chosen to do this find themselves in... That is the USA consulate determines you are "too" married for a K1 but not married enough for the CR1 ... It is hard to straighten out and can cost you another year apart... Think about it...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

1) The fraud comes if you enter on a tourist visa with the intent to immigrate. Marriage while on a tourist visa is not fraud.

2) Any ceremony than resembles a marriage ceremony can and most likely will be deemed as evidence of marriage, and therefore, you no longer meet the conditions for a fiance (K-1) visa.

The information you are saying conflicts with what the person above is saying. Is it Visa fraud or not to come here on tourist visa with the intent to marry? How long does the I-130 for CR1 take? And are you saying to do the legal and religious part in America or in India?

As others have said above, there is no problem coming in on a tourist visa with the intent to marry. It's the intent to stay and adjust that is not permissible. We were living abroad together, came to the US to get married, then returned to the UK to file the I-130, and go through CR1 processing. We did Direct Consular Filing, so I have no idea how long the CR1 takes, but I believe it's about a year.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

The problem with having a religious ceremony for family and friends is that there are always people with cameras, and in these times (when social media is global) someone will post them on the internet.

We already know that USCIS check Facebook, Twitter and other social sites as part of your "check" so if they see anything that even vaguely resembles a ceremony then you are married in their eyes. Too married for a fiance visa, not married enough for a spousal one if it wasn't registered.

If you don't want to spend MORE time apart than you have to while it is sorted out, you have three realistic choices:-

1. Get married in the US on a tourist visa and your new wife returns home while the CR1 is processed. When she comes to the US her visa will allow her to work immediately.
2. Get married in her home country and she waits there while CR1 is processed.

3. File the K1 Fiance visa, get married in the US once the visa is granted and THEN go back to her country and have a celebration of marriage ceremony for her family once she has either her greencard or Advanced Parole document.

You will always see conflicting opinions on the internet. There are always people who will suggest that you can get around any legality - and that's true, BUT if you are caught (and there's a good chance you will be) those people won't be the ones paying the price.

Being apart for a year is a hardship until you put it in context. You are, theoretically, going to be married to this person for the rest of your life. A year is nothing compared to that. It also gives your lady time to build up lots of memories with friends and families, to say long goodbyes, because once she arrives here, she's not going to have easy access to her old life and she probably will be lonely and miss them. That time can be precious, if you plan ahead.

Best of luck to you, OP. :)

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Hello. Hoping for some guidance.

I am a US citizen. She is an Indian citizen. She has a 10+ year US tourist VISA that she has had since before she met me. My research indicates we have two options for marriage: she comes here on tourist VISA and then after 60+ days we get married or I file for a K-1 VISA but that can take an year.

With either of these options, will there be any issues with us doing a religious, not legal, ceremony in India before she comes or before she gets the K-1? So we'd have a "wedding" but it wouldn't be "official" as we wouldn't register it with the Indian government.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if anyone has really made this point yet, but there is often a problem with having anything that even looks like a wedding when you're trying for a K1. It kind of renders you "too married for a fiance visa but not married enough for a spouse visa."

I suspect that there are religious reasons for wanting to be married in your (or her) religion before you live together, but if you're going to do that, get thoroughly married and file for a spousal visa.

Which would have been crazy advice a year ago when the spousal petitions were taking FOR. FREAKING. EVER. but it seems like they're starting to speed up and by the time you two are "all married up" and applying there is reason to believe that the wait period will be back at reasonable levels.

You can, of course, go for a K1, but if you do, DO NOT have any kind of ceremony that would even possibly look like a wedding to anyone. Ever. Not even an engagement ceremony. Nothing. Or you'll probably get rejected, have to get married, apply for the spousal visa etc etc etc.

Good luck and all the best to the two of you!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm not sure if anyone has really made this point yet, but there is often a problem with having anything that even looks like a wedding when you're trying for a K1. It kind of renders you "too married for a fiance visa but not married enough for a spouse visa."

I suspect that there are religious reasons for wanting to be married in your (or her) religion before you live together, but if you're going to do that, get thoroughly married and file for a spousal visa.

Which would have been crazy advice a year ago when the spousal petitions were taking FOR. FREAKING. EVER. but it seems like they're starting to speed up and by the time you two are "all married up" and applying there is reason to believe that the wait period will be back at reasonable levels.

You can, of course, go for a K1, but if you do, DO NOT have any kind of ceremony that would even possibly look like a wedding to anyone. Ever. Not even an engagement ceremony. Nothing. Or you'll probably get rejected, have to get married, apply for the spousal visa etc etc etc.

Good luck and all the best to the two of you!

Yes, I pointed that exact thing out in my previous post! Read above

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Ah, just so that OP won't have a wrong impression, we already have K-1 in hand and we'll be having an unofficial ceremony right before coming over to the US side. I didn't realize OP was asking before getting K-1.

Edited by goatess

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.