RachelleMyke

Surprise visit after K-1 sent in

44 posts in this topic

Although your circumstances re job and lack of lease haven't changed, the fact that you have officially applied for your fiancee visa shows them that you are doing it the legal way. Perhaps if you plan ahead and take a letter stating your intent to spend a couple of weeks with your fiance, that you will return to Canada on X date using the prebooked ticket and you will not be getting married during this visit it may go some way to pacifying any suspicion of intent to work around entry.

You could always try being upfront with them and stating that you were turned away (they will have a record in the system anyway) but you now have the receipt for your visa application. Don't know if you have started booking anything for your wedding, but any evidence for that would certainly help, too. :)

When I visited my now husband while the K1 was processing I didn't have a job and was living with my parents. They didn't ask a lot of questions, but did "remind" me that I shouldn't be getting married during this visit.

Good luck and I hope your visa gets processed smoothly. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you have any criminal charges at all that would affect your ability to cross the border, even if its minor (or seems minor) in nature? It seems weird that they wouldn't even give you a chance to show proof of ties to Canada, but then again border crossing can be so random. Was it your first visit? Did you have a number of extended visits previously?

My boyfriend got denied entry to Canada when we were driving back to my home a few years ago because of a petty misdemeanor charge from almost 10 years ago (even though he had visited previously with no issues) ... that and we didn't even think to bring any proof of ties either (so naive at that point in time lol). I had to drive him to Minot so he could fly back home and then drive back alone to Canada to work- yeah I was super devastated and so sad for a long time, it was awful. When I came to spend last summer with him in the US, I got pulled into secondary screening for a while because I was planning on staying a few months and didn't buy a return ticket, and the CO asked me about that incident (so I guess expect your previous entry attempt will be documented when you try to enter). They let me visit, and I have been to the US 4 times since then with no problems, but I was surprised that my fiances inability to cross into Canada was documented on my passport.

If you enter and they deny you, you shouldn't get "banned", but you will have to return home. Just be prepared to face that reality again, because every crossing is a new adventure.

M

No criminal charges whatsoever! Not at all my first visit, I had visited 4 times in 2013 for 1-2 weeks at a time only. I think it was just the border agent... He wasn't mean or anything but I feel like had we gotten another person it would have been a totally different situation.

I think I will just try it, judging by the responses are getting. My flight will be to Philly then Boston so worst comes to worst it'll be a $300 flight to Philly for a cheesesteak and turn around and go home and cry for a week again. And I'll only tell my fiancé once I'm back in Canada so that he doesn't get sooo excited for a visit like we always do and then get crushed.

Thanks for the reply!

Timeline

Although your circumstances re job and lack of lease haven't changed, the fact that you have officially applied for your fiancee visa shows them that you are doing it the legal way. Perhaps if you plan ahead and take a letter stating your intent to spend a couple of weeks with your fiance, that you will return to Canada on X date using the prebooked ticket and you will not be getting married during this visit it may go some way to pacifying any suspicion of intent to work around entry.

You could always try being upfront with them and stating that you were turned away (they will have a record in the system anyway) but you now have the receipt for your visa application. Don't know if you have started booking anything for your wedding, but any evidence for that would certainly help, too. :)

When I visited my now husband while the K1 was processing I didn't have a job and was living with my parents. They didn't ask a lot of questions, but did "remind" me that I shouldn't be getting married during this visit.

Good luck and I hope your visa gets processed smoothly. :)

Thank you so much!!

Filed: Timeline

This is something you don't need to worry about. CPB won't ban you at a point of entry. The worst they can do is turn you around and send you home tell you to wait out the K-1. CPB sending you packing won't affect the K-1 as long as you answer the questions about this truthfully.

All they care about is misrepresentation and overstay. If you lied you have misrepresented. Did you lie to CPB the last time you got denied entry? If so than don't trying another entry as they will then have conflicting answers on file; they can affect you K-1 packet. If you were truthful about your intentions at your last try you have nothing to worry about. Try again.

Bring with you to the point of entry your NOA 1 and a copy of your I-129f. If you are asked if you have a pending immigration case say yes. I have an I-129f on file and have an NOA-1. I will return to Canada to complete the interview. I have a copy of my I-129f and NOA-1; would you like to see it? That's it. Don't babble. If they ask why do you want to see your finance say I miss him. Keep it simple.

General rules: If they don't ask anything don't say anything. If they ask just answer the question truthfully without long explanations. Don't lie. There's no reason to. You don't need to present massive amounts documents to prove you'll go back to Canada; they're not going to want to see them. That in it's self is cause for suspicion. When was the last time you saw someone at any boarder control put anything on the counter other than a passport and a customs slip.

Wow. Alright!

Last time when I was denied, they asked me if I had a return flight, I said yes. They didn't ask for proof. They took our phones, and asked if the confirmation for the flight was in mine, I said yes. They didn't mention it again. They then asked how I had gotten so much time off of work so I explained my work wasn't busy during winter (BBQ tech support). I said, I have a letter from them that says when I'll be back. He didn't want to see it. He did mention I had a lot of stuff with me. It was all clothing. In the end, when he told me I wouldn't be crossing, his sole reason was because of lack of significant ties to Canada. He said had I had bank statements and proof of a lease (which I don't have, I explained, i live with my mother) then I may have gotten in. If I try this, I will definitely have every piece of paper with me possible... And hope for the best. I just don't want to deal with the emotions of being so hopeful of spending time together and then being crushed all over again.

At least since I'm planning to surprise him, he won't be disappointed if I can't cross because he won't know I'm on my way there.... His sister would be picking me up at the airport...

If CPB is not convinced of your intentions the reason for entry denial will always be that one piece of paper you didn't have. It's just lip service to get you to go away. All you can do is try and be truthful.

No criminal charges whatsoever! Not at all my first visit, I had visited 4 times in 2013 for 1-2 weeks at a time only. I think it was just the border agent... He wasn't mean or anything but I feel like had we gotten another person it would have been a totally different situation.

I think I will just try it, judging by the responses are getting. My flight will be to Philly then Boston so worst comes to worst it'll be a $300 flight to Philly for a cheesesteak and turn around and go home and cry for a week again. And I'll only tell my fiancé once I'm back in Canada so that he doesn't get sooo excited for a visit like we always do and then get crushed.

Thanks for the reply!

What airport in Canada are you flying from? I know some airports in Canada have pre immigration clearance but don't know which. At worst you might just get turned around in Canada.

Timeline

What airport in Canada are you flying from? I know some airports in Canada have pre immigration clearance but don't know which. At worst you might just get turned around in Canada.

Flying from Halifax, NS

This is something you don't need to worry about. CPB won't ban you at a point of entry. The worst they can do is turn you around and send you home tell you to wait out the K-1. CPB sending you packing won't affect the K-1 as long as you answer the questions about this truthfully.

All they care about is misrepresentation and overstay. If you lied you have misrepresented. Did you lie to CPB the last time you got denied entry? If so than don't trying another entry as they will then have conflicting answers on file; they can affect you K-1 packet. If you were truthful about your intentions at your last try you have nothing to worry about. Try again.

Bring with you to the point of entry your NOA 1 and a copy of your I-129f. If you are asked if you have a pending immigration case say yes. I have an I-129f on file and have an NOA-1. I will return to Canada to complete the interview. I have a copy of my I-129f and NOA-1; would you like to see it? That's it. Don't babble. If they ask why do you want to see your finance say I miss him. Keep it simple.

General rules: If they don't ask anything don't say anything. If they ask just answer the question truthfully without long explanations. Don't lie. There's no reason to. You don't need to present massive amounts documents to prove you'll go back to Canada; they're not going to want to see them. That in it's self is cause for suspicion. When was the last time you saw someone at any boarder control put anything on the counter other than a passport and a customs slip.

I didn't lie at all last time, he actually said he was allowing me to retract the application for entry because he knew we were being honest.

Thank you. I haven't booked the flight yet but I think I will go ahead now. I appreciate it!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

You never know what is that little thing that makes the Officer hesitant to let you in. During my last visit, while waiting for the Visa interview, I had to go through second screening. I had everything with me (papers from NVC, showing that we have been approved, proof of ties (like my lease, credit card bills, utility bills etc), return ticket and so on). They didn't want to see any of this. They kept asking me the same questions over and over again, as quickly as they could, as if they were trying to catch me lying. Anyway, they let me in...

I, too, don't think that there is a reason for banning you. Banning occurs under very specific conditions.

Just an idea....would it be possible for your mother to add you to the lease?

My advice is (as everyone always says) be truthful and DO NOT volunteer any information. Let them ask you, before you say anything. That advice was given to me from a fellow VJer. I didn't follow it and...I had to go to the second screening!!! :):):)

I hope everything works out! Good luck and enjoy your visit!

greek_american_flag100.gif

Vda4m4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Canadian us border sure gave us some grief too a few timed. Don't know if I would risk it.

08-20-2011 Married

Work Visa

03-04-2012 Obtained L1-B Visa at Champlain, NY POE

Green Card

(Day 0) 03-13-2014 Mailed AOS package to Chicago Lock box

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Bio-metrics appointment letter received (appointment 05/02/2014)

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Successful Bio-metrics walk-in @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 53) 05-05-2014 Received hard copy of Interview Letter.

(Day 82) 06-03-2014 Day of AOS interview, Approved on the spot, given an approval letter.

(Day 89) 06-09-2014 Green Card in hand delivered after only 89 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Citizenship

(Day 0) 03-19-2018 N-400 Application Submitted Online

(Day 21) 04-09-2018 Bio-metrics Appointment @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 77) 06-04-2018 Received Interview Letter

(Day 114) Naturalization Interview - Approved on the spot @West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 116) Naturalization Oath Ceremony @ West Palm Beach, FL

________________________________________________________________________________________

Passport

(Day 0) 07-20-2018 Applied for passport (Non-Expedited) @ Clerk of Country, Port St Lucie Florida

(Day 17) 08-06-2018 Passport Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They can do all sorts of things including deport, a ban.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband come for a visit in February. We had an i-130 pending approval and I was very worried he would be denied entry. He is currently unemployed and his name isnt on the lease where he lives. When he went to the airport i had him bring a letter from his mother stating that she expected him back by a certain date and that she was dog sitting for him, i also had him bring his return flight itinerary. At customs in the Montreal airport they didnt ask him for ANY proof of ties or even ask if we had purchased a return ticket, they just stamped his passport and sent him on his way, no questions asked. It really all depends on the customs agent you get. Luck of the draw.

Timeline

Do this and remove any doubts ahead of time - http://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip

I honestly don't understand it... Can you explain a little clearer than the site?

You never know what is that little thing that makes the Officer hesitant to let you in. During my last visit, while waiting for the Visa interview, I had to go through second screening. I had everything with me (papers from NVC, showing that we have been approved, proof of ties (like my lease, credit card bills, utility bills etc), return ticket and so on). They didn't want to see any of this. They kept asking me the same questions over and over again, as quickly as they could, as if they were trying to catch me lying. Anyway, they let me in...

I, too, don't think that there is a reason for banning you. Banning occurs under very specific conditions.

Just an idea....would it be possible for your mother to add you to the lease?

My advice is (as everyone always says) be truthful and DO NOT volunteer any information. Let them ask you, before you say anything. That advice was given to me from a fellow VJer. I didn't follow it and...I had to go to the second screening!!! :):):)

I hope everything works out! Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Thank you!

The Canadian us border sure gave us some grief too a few timed. Don't know if I would risk it.

Yikes... This goes against what everyone else is saying.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
all depends on the customs agent you get.

He was smuggling?

all depends on the customs agent you get.

He was smuggling?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The site I posted is where you go to make a claim that you were wrongly denied entry to the US and can provide the supporting documents to prove that, if they agree with you then they pre clear you for entry so you don't get any unpleasant surprises at the border.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.