Alijan

i got engaged overseas while i was married in America and i had my green card

31 posts in this topic

i went to afghanistan a few months ago and then i got engaged on september 2013 in afghanistan while i was married in America and was waiting for my citizenship and then i got my citizenship on january 2014 and now i dirovreced my wife a few days ago so can i file for my fiancee in afghanistan or do i have to visit her again and then do engagement party everything once more and also i dont have money to travel again any suggestion any help

Filed: Other Timeline

i went to afghanistan a few months ago and then i got engaged on september 2013 in afghanistan while i was married in America and was waiting for my citizenship and then i got my citizenship on january 2014 and now i dirovreced my wife a few days ago so can i file for my fiancee in afghanistan or do i have to visit her again and then do engagement party everything once more and also i dont have money to travel again any suggestion any help

There is no legal requirement that you must be single when you first meet. The requirement is to have met within the previous two years, and that as of the date of filing for K1 that you are legally free to marry. Avoid engagement parties and celebrations as they may be viewed as a marriage. Present only the evidence of having met face to face.

so you want me wait alittle and also in the next few months can i take a trip to afghanistan and then re engaged and then bring proofs and then file for my fiancee after everything is finished now with my ex wife i have divorce certificate my passport citizenship

expat so you mean i can file for her right since i met her in afghanistan i really liked her and now we talk everyday my family is happy her family is happy i had engagement party pictures while i was in afghanistan 6 months ago, also my trip s ticket, copy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

There is no legal requirement that you must be single when you first meet. The requirement is to have met within the previous two years, and that as of the date of filing for K1 that you are legally free to marry. Avoid engagement parties and celebrations as they may be viewed as a marriage. Present only the evidence of having met face to face.

There is no 'legal' requirement, but he will most certainly have a difficult time...which is all I was saying. In his K1 petition he will have to show his divorce documents, plus his engagement which was prior to divorce and right at the time he was getting citizenship...plus Afghanistan is a high-fraud country. USCIS will take their time reviewing this to make sure it's not a fraudulent relationship.

He also hasn't shared any information other than he's engaged. Alijan, if you have significant proof of your relationship with the fiancée and its valid, you should not worry and go ahead and file. If you're speaking in terms of technicality, USCIS only "requires" you having met in person and been face to face one time within the last 2 years, which according to you was September 2013, so good luck to you. inshaAllah it will work out.

10/22/12 - Met online

04/19/13 - First trip to Morocco

11/22/13 - Second trip to Morocco

12/13/13 - Mailed I-129F Petition to Dallas Lockbox

12/19/13 - Received electronic notification for NOA1

12/30/13 - Received paper copy of NOA1

01/06/14 - Alien Registration Number was changed

02/13/14 - Third trip to Morocco

04/09/14 - Mailed Certified letter to Senator 1 requesting update on case

05/19/14 - Still no response from Senator 1's office

05/19/14 - Faxed request for intervention to Senator 2

05/21/14 - Spoke with my case officer, asked me for additional info to be faxed to her.

05/22/14 - Petition approved (as per tier 2 officer on phone and mailed)

05/28/14 - Approval sent to DOS for processing (still no paper copy of NOA2)

06/05/14 - NVC received approval from USCIS

06/10/14 - NVC registers petition; received case number

06/24/14 - In transit to Morocco

06/25/14 - Case is ready for interview

07/01/14 - Called consulate, they called my fiancé and scheduled the interview and emailed packet 3

07/15/14 - First interview

07/24/14 - Fourth trip to Morocco

08/05/14 - Fiancé relocated to Australia

Pending case transfer from Casablanca to Sydney

02/12/15 - Fifth trip together -- meeting in SE Asia

event.png

event.png

expat so you mean i can file for her right since i met her in afghanistan i really liked her and now we talk everyday my family is happy her family is happy i had engagement party pictures while i was in afghanistan 6 months ago, also my trip s ticket, copy

Avoid talking about getting engaged. It's not necessary to be engaged when you file for K1. This may sound a little confusing, but again it's only important to present the facts and evidence of having met face to face in the previous two years. If you decide to file for K1, then you both must submit a letter that you intend to marry within 90-days of entry to the US. The first step is to get your K1 approved by the USCIS.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

There is no 'legal' requirement, but he will most certainly have a difficult time...which is all I was saying. In his K1 petition he will have to show his divorce documents, plus his engagement which was prior to divorce and right at the time he was getting citizenship...plus Afghanistan is a high-fraud country. USCIS will take their time reviewing this to make sure it's not a fraudulent relationship.

He also hasn't shared any information other than he's engaged. Alijan, if you have significant proof of your relationship with the fiancée and its valid, you should not worry and go ahead and file. If you're speaking in terms of technicality, USCIS only "requires" you having met in person and been face to face one time within the last 2 years, which according to you was September 2013, so good luck to you. inshaAllah it will work out.

You're a little confused as to the legal requirements of the USCIS regarding Fiance Visa. Again, all that's necessary is to prove you are free to marry as of the date of filing for K1. There is no problem meeting someone face to face when you are still married. That is not even a consideration. The OP should avoid mentioning getting engaged while they were still married.

To the OP. Remember, there are two major phases of the K1 process. During the initial submission of the application, the USCIS will initiate background checks on both the petitioner and beneficiary. They will also look at the evidence to see whether you are both free to marry as of the date of filing. For this you must submit evidence of divorce using a copy of the divorce decree, or certified certificate of divorce. After the petition is approved it will move to the second stage of the process, which requires more detail about the beneficiary.

Second stage after approval

As another poster passionately commented, countries like Afghanistan will receive more scrutiny that other countries due to a high-incidence of fraud and US national security. For this reason it will be very important for you to carefully document the evolution of your relationship. You must show that you maintain contact and provide evidence in the form of phone records, photos, receipts, email, and so on. Just knowing something in your heart is not evidence enough. Focus on how your relationship has evolved since the date of your divorce.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Whether or not to provide evidence of an engagement party would be for the K-1 visa interview, and would depend on what is culturally normal for that country.

Getting the I-129F petition approved only requires that you are both free to marry at the time of filing and that you have been together in person within the 2 years prior to filing. Getting the petition approved is not really a challenge. It should not be forgotten that following the I-129F petition, the foreign fiance(e) will apply for a K-1 visa at the consulate in their country. The K-1 visa interview is where the relationship will be vetted and the CO will look at their case and decide if they have a real relationship or one that is just for immigration purposes only.

They will need to have plenty of proof to show that they did not simply get their US citizenship so they could bring over someone else from their country. The COs know all about how that works and watch out for things like that. The poster above that talks about extra scrutiny is absolutely correct. They should be aware of that and be prepared for it. I suggest the OP does some reading in the Middle East and North Africa(MENA) regional forum in order to prepare for the K-1 visa interview to come.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Sounds to me like you engaged in fraud by marrying a U.S. citizen, then divorcing her right after you got citizenship. Citizenship can be revoked if it was obtained fraudulently.

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like the US immigration system and maybe the USC (unless the USC was in on it) got used

Or K-1 Visa Journey:

- November 9th, 2013 : Sent I-129f package (FedEx)

- November 15th, 2013: Check was Cashed

- November 15th, 2013: NOA1 e-mail notification (TSC) smile.png

- November 21st, 2013: NOA1 Hard Copy arrived. (Official Notification Date - Nov 14th)

- November 21st, 2013: Alien Registration Number Changed

- February 7th, 2014: NOA2 received by text & email!! (85 days from NOA1 to NOA2) dancin5hr.gif heart.gif

- February 13th, 2014 (14th in Philippines...Happy Valentine's Day Surprise Babe!!rose.gif heart.gif ): I-129F shipped to Dept. of State to receive visa #

- February 14th, 2014: NOA2 hardcopy received.... Happy Valentine's Day!

- February 21st, 2014: NVC assigns visa number. Can now schedule online, interview for fiance at US Embassy

- February 24th, 2014: Now have interview date!! (May 5, 2014 @ 7:30 am)

- February 25th, 2014 (26th in Philippines): Fiance finished medical exam & vaccinations (all in one early & long day) @ St. Luke's & passed

- February 25th, 2014 (26th in Philippines): US Embassy - Manila (USEM) receives our case & is READY for interview

- February 26th, 2014 (26th in Philippines): Able to reschedule for a March 12th interview date! Whoo Hoo!!

- March 12th, 2014 (11th in US): Fiance interviews @ US Embassy....... APPROVED!!! YEA BABE!!idea9dv.gif dancin5hr.gif biggrin.png kicking.gif

Sounds like the US immigration system and maybe the USC (unless the USC was in on it) got used

I agree with you.

Many time people do, sometime they use the usc to travel to usa , and sometime they pay to someone to get marry to go to usa.

I smell that here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.