Scott & Kath

Please help me, Visiting the UK (Scotland) for the first time for 3 months.

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I'm an American and I've been digging around through Google and the forums and found answers for many of the questions I've had, but there's still a few things bugging me that I couldn't find a clear cut answer to, especially for my specific situation. I hope you guys can help us out, it all has me really anxious. sad.png

1. I'm coming from the United States to visit for 3 months in the UK (Scotland) to finally spend time with my girlfriend who I've been with for almost 4 years. Will I automatically receive a tourist visa or anything upon arrival at the airport granting me permission to visit the UK? Or will I have to apply for a visa beforehand?

2. The visit will take place at my girlfriend and her mother's home in Scotland, thus: room and board, food, and travel will already be covered. However I will be bringing a few hundred dollars/pounds with me (e.g. $300-$500) for any additional expenses. Will the funds be seen as enough or do I need more?

3. What proof of ties will I need in addition to my return flight ticket, ID, and U.S. passport? As I'm currently unemployed and do not have a driver's license, nor am I a student of any school, but currently living with my mother.

4. We are also planning to get engaged (NOT to marry) and have an engagement party during the visit, then apply for the K1 Visa/I-129F Petition once I return to America so my girlfriend can immigrate into the US. Will I be allowed to propose during my visit (I'm bringing the ring with me) so long as I DON'T intend to marry within the UK, or will I potentially end up getting denied entry due to the UK Border Agency assuming the worst?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never had trouble entering the UK, even for a few months. I don't think I've ever been asked how much money I had either. Mind you, that's coming from Canada. They do come across as quite stern though.

Hi, I'm an American and I've been digging around through Google and the forums and found answers for many of the questions I've had, but there's still a few things bugging me that I couldn't find a clear cut answer to, especially for my specific situation. I hope you guys can help us out, it all has me really anxious. sad.png

1. I'm coming from the United States to visit for 3 months in the UK (Scotland) to finally spend time with my girlfriend who I've been with for almost 4 years. Will I automatically receive a tourist visa or anything upon arrival at the airport granting me permission to visit the UK? Or will I have to apply for a visa beforehand?

2. The visit will take place at my girlfriend and her mother's home in Scotland, thus: room and board, food, and travel will already be covered. However I will be bringing a few hundred dollars/pounds with me (e.g. $300-$500) for any additional expenses. Will the funds be seen as enough or do I need more?

3. What proof of ties will I need in addition to my return flight ticket, ID, and U.S. passport? As I'm currently unemployed and do not have a driver's license, nor am I a student of any school, but currently living with my mother.

4. We are also planning to get engaged (NOT to marry) and have an engagement party during the visit, then apply for the K1 Visa/I-129F Petition once I return to America so my girlfriend can immigrate into the US. Will I be allowed to propose during my visit (I'm bringing the ring with me) so long as I DON'T intend to marry within the UK, or will I potentially end up getting denied entry due to the UK Border Agency assuming the worst?

1) You don't need a visa if you're an American citizen. You turn up and ask for your stay and you'll hopefully be given the usual 6 month stamp.

2) That money might not be enough, but they never asked my husband on any of his visits about money. That's not to say they won't ask you.

3) You can only bring what you have. My husband was unemployed all the times he came to see me and was fine.

4) You're allowed to propose!

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

I've never had trouble entering the UK, even for a few months. I don't think I've ever been asked how much money I had either. Mind you, that's coming from Canada. They do come across as quite stern though.

Thanks for the info, gives me more confidence. Hopefully I'll get to be as lucky as you. happy.png

1) You don't need a visa if you're an American citizen. You turn up and ask for your stay and you'll hopefully be given the usual 6 month stamp.

2) That money might not be enough, but they never asked my husband on any of his visits about money. That's not to say they won't ask you.

3) You can only bring what you have. My husband was unemployed all the times he came to see me and was fine.

4) You're allowed to propose!

Very much appreciated, hopefully I won't need too much money though, but I can try and get more. Fingers crossed they won't ask me. I think I can get some bank statements before I go for the visit to help with the ties, but other than that I can't really think of anything. Very relieved about the proposal. smile.png

The responses definitely made me feel better, thank you both. biggrin.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't stress about money, their main concern seems to be terrorists,and foot and mouth disease. Even when moving to Scotland on a visa they apparently don't worry too much about money. Relax and enjoy, be sure to see the gorgeous beaches, it's a very very beautiful place.

My fiance came over at Christmas to visit for the first time. He didn't need a visa. I wasn't sure about that when we first booked the air ticket as I normally travel to see him, due to the fact he hardly gets time off work. Any way he asked a travel agent and they said you don't need one and they were correct.

When he arrived they asked him who he was visiting and he said I am visiting my fiancee for Christmas, he had a return flight so there was no problem with that either, no secondary questions no nothing. Money was never bought up in the questions, but they might ask, they might not.

I've seen many programmes about border control here on television and if you have very little money they don't deny you, they just ask who will support you whilst you visit. I doubt they will even go into it in detail. My fiance bought a letter from his employer, wage slips the whole lot and they were never asked for, not even mentioned! He did come for only a week, so 3 months they may ask who is going to sponsor you, they just want to make sure you wont work whilst you are visiting.

Finally, its fine to propose we do allow it!!! Lol. I doubt they will be looking through your bag for signs of an engagement ring. I think the key thing here is your return ticket but I would advise to have your girlfriends/fiancee ( to be) phone number, in case they want to ask questions about her supporting you during your visit. Enjoy your time in Scotland and congrats on your forthcoming engagement.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That amount may be marginal for a few weeks, for 3 months no way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I wouldn't stress about money, their main concern seems to be terrorists,and foot and mouth disease. Even when moving to Scotland on a visa they apparently don't worry too much about money. Relax and enjoy, be sure to see the gorgeous beaches, it's a very very beautiful place.

Heh, yeah I'll try to be as calm as I can be as it's also my first time flying so that'll be an entirely new experience in itself. Definitely looking forward to the scenery, thank you. biggrin.png

My fiance came over at Christmas to visit for the first time. He didn't need a visa. I wasn't sure about that when we first booked the air ticket as I normally travel to see him, due to the fact he hardly gets time off work. Any way he asked a travel agent and they said you don't need one and they were correct.

When he arrived they asked him who he was visiting and he said I am visiting my fiancee for Christmas, he had a return flight so there was no problem with that either, no secondary questions no nothing. Money was never bought up in the questions, but they might ask, they might not.

I've seen many programmes about border control here on television and if you have very little money they don't deny you, they just ask who will support you whilst you visit. I doubt they will even go into it in detail. My fiance bought a letter from his employer, wage slips the whole lot and they were never asked for, not even mentioned! He did come for only a week, so 3 months they may ask who is going to sponsor you, they just want to make sure you wont work whilst you are visiting.

Finally, its fine to propose we do allow it!!! Lol. I doubt they will be looking through your bag for signs of an engagement ring. I think the key thing here is your return ticket but I would advise to have your girlfriends/fiancee ( to be) phone number, in case they want to ask questions about her supporting you during your visit. Enjoy your time in Scotland and congrats on your forthcoming engagement.

I remember reading elsewhere that the longer you intend to stay, the more likely you are to get questioned about things which is why we ended up avoiding the near 6 month visit, as much as we wanted to go for it (plus it would be more money). So hopefully 3 months won't be a big deal. Also it's funny you should mention the tv shows as I recently got interested in watching some of UK Border Force on Youtube, which was quite eye-opening lol. And I'll definitely be giving them her phone number, thank you very much and I will. smile.png

That amount may be marginal for a few weeks, for 3 months no way.

Even with them covering all my living conditions and travel? I can go higher, but I don't think I can go over $1,000 at the moment as I'm not currently working.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My girlfriends sister works for the Border Agency and I think (purely an opinion) that your main problem with taking so little cash for a long stay is that they'll suspect you are coming over to work illegally.

Even with food and accommodation being provided they would expect a visitor to have money for incidental expenses.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Its less than a Fiver a day?

What will you be doing?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My girlfriends sister works for the Border Agency and I think (purely an opinion) that your main problem with taking so little cash for a long stay is that they'll suspect you are coming over to work illegally.

Even with food and accommodation being provided they would expect a visitor to have money for incidental expenses.

I had a feeling that's what they would think, even though I have zero intentions of such as I'm well aware of the terrible consequences it would cause along with ruining our future with the immigration to the US. I'd imagine I'd get to explain my situation if the questioning ever got that far, or do you think it would just be hopeless? If they call her while she's down in arrival would her and her mother explaining things over the phone do any good? sad.png

Its less than a Fiver a day?

What will you be doing?

Nothing extravagant and it wouldn't be made use of every single day, only really planning on seeing the sights around her hometown of Tain which would be on foot, a few resturaunt visits (none of the expensive ones) and a possible drive down to Inverness to see the sights, then drive back to Tain the same day. The engagement party would be at her grandmother's house which is only a few blocks away with other family members, other than that and just spending personal time together at her home, there's nothing else.

Edited by Scott & Kath

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had a feeling that's what they would think, even though I have zero intentions of such as I'm well aware of the terrible consequences it would cause along with ruining our future with the immigration to the US. I'd imagine I'd get to explain my situation if the questioning ever got that far, or do you think it would just be hopeless? If they call her while she's down in arrival would her and her mother explaining things over the phone do any good? sad.png

Nothing extravagant and it wouldn't be made use of every single day, only really planning on seeing the sights around her hometown of Tain which would be on foot, a few resturaunt visits (none of the expensive ones) and a possible drive down to Inverness to see the sights, then drive back to Tain the same day. The engagement party would be at her grandmother's house which is only a few blocks away with other family members, other than that and just spending personal time together at her home, there's nothing else.

Of course it's not hopeless, you should just be aware of what they will be thinking.

Try to look at it from the point of view of an outsider. Not many tourist's would spend three months just pottering around the house with just an occasional day trip to civilisation (just looked at the map, Tain really is in the ####### end of nowhere!)

Even when I go away for a few days, or a week I try to have a few hundred quid spending money. I'm by no means wealthy but the UK can be expensive. Just the petrol for your day trip to Inverness and back could be anywhere between £30 and £50, although I do grant you that it's well worth it to be driving through some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world in my opinion.

Basically you need to avoid giving the Border Agency any reason to be suspicious about your intentions.

Good luck and enjoy Scotland, your first purchase with that money could be one of the national delicacies, deep fried, battered candy bars :)

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Of course it's not hopeless, you should just be aware of what they will be thinking.

Try to look at it from the point of view of an outsider. Not many tourist's would spend three months just pottering around the house with just an occasional day trip to civilisation (just looked at the map, Tain really is in the ####### end of nowhere!)

Even when I go away for a few days, or a week I try to have a few hundred quid spending money. I'm by no means wealthy but the UK can be expensive. Just the petrol for your day trip to Inverness and back could be anywhere between £30 and £50, although I do grant you that it's well worth it to be driving through some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world in my opinion.

Basically you need to avoid giving the Border Agency any reason to be suspicious about your intentions.

Good luck and enjoy Scotland, your first purchase with that money could be one of the national delicacies, deep fried, battered candy bars smile.png

To clarify, google maps is kinda awkward with Tain, she's from Tain, Ross Shire which is about 40 miles (I think) from Inverness as opposed to the Tain thats way up near Thurso. Sorry about that.

But yeah, I know what you mean they're just trying to narrow out the scammers. I wish it didnt have to affect the honest people though, but I'll make sure I'm truthful about everything and try not to get nervous and such. Thank you and I'll definitely look into those. :)

Personally, I would get a letter of sponsorship from your girlfriend. My husband (then fiance) came to the UK to stay with me in England for 4.5 months last year (he is American), and he is unemployed. He did so the previous year also for 3 months. The first time the UKBA guy was really lax (my husband forgot my address the first time around) and let him through. He asked him how he'd be supporting himself and he said he had a credit card for emergencies but room and board would be paid for by me.

The second time, we were a bit more cautious and I scanned into my PC and sent him a signed letter of sponsorship from me, saying I would be paying all of his expenses, my employment information, how much I earn, the reason for our stay and that we would be returning to the US together. I put my mobile number and told them to call me if they needed anything from me when he passed at the border. I also put I would be waiting for him at the airport as the UKBA site recommends that I do. Sure enough, the Border Agent called my mobile when I was waiting at the airport, took my husband into secondary and grilled him. He has bad social anxiety so he panicked and froze up and couldn't answer the questions properly, so they called me and grilled me instead. Even asked how we will support ourselves in the US when we get out there and what our immigration plans were. Asked if he had to be in England "so long" to finish up my K1 visa process. Probably to make sure my man wasn't trying to stay in the UK illegally. In the end he just said "thank you, you've answered all of my questions" and then hung up. My husband came through the gates about 20 minutes later at which point I was freaking out and my mum was shouting at the airport staff and threatened to go through the "No Entry" gate to find out what was going on XD.

So, word of advice - as you're unemployed and just to be safe, get a sponsorship letter from your girlfriend and have her pick you up at the airport. The UKBA website recommends this. You can also find other suggestions on the UKBA website. I spent an hour or two looking at it before hubby flew up and sent him everything/brought everything with me that they could possibly ask for. If they hadn't had my phone number and been able to speak to me, my husband is certain he wouldn't have been allowed in. You could get through easily, but there is always the chance you could get someone with their nuts in a twist like we did the second time.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Have you thought about staying for maybe just a month or so or maybe less? This might be better from a border perspective, but also because staying with someone else so long without helping out financially can be quite a burden on them. I assume you are young, but very extended houseguests are expected to buy groceries and contribute in a monetary capacity. I'm a little worried that despite what they've said to you about this, that it might be perceived rude not to.

Just some food for thought.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.