Solomon&Anne

Spinster affidavit

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok, pls dont rip on me .... first background ...we were denied K-1 visa we were put in AR in Sept when he had his interview and USCIS sent me a text that our case has been terminated and to wait for a letter.....We got the expiration letter 2 months ago....None of it makes sense to me and Im over trying to find out why, obviously they are never gonna tell us....we believe it was because we met in South Africa instead of going to Nigeria to meet his family was the reason we were terminated....

But now we are moving on Im going to Nigeria to get married to my man and file for CR1 when i return....my main question is DO I NEED A LETTER STATING IM NOT MARRIED FROM A GOVT OFFICE HERE IN THE USA TO TAKE WITH ME IN ORDER TO GET MARRIED IN NIGERIA....if so where do i get this so called paper ....Remember this is Nigeria we are talking about so other countries rules and regulations most likely wont work.... I need to hear from couples married in Nigeria...

The reason we never got legally married when we met in South Africa was due to not having this paper we even went to the embassy and they wrote a paper stating no such paper exists in the United States and it still wasnt good enough for the South African govt....so we still had a life commitment ceremony under god which was good enough for us but not for all the govt officials lol

Thank you in advance any advice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would be remiss to not mention this, but I assume since you're on the board here, you might already know this, but here goes.

If you go there, and get married, and come back and file the papers, they're gonna take their "own sweet time" in processing them. If the K-1 timeframe was painful, then the "I went and got married just to spite you, and here's my K-3" is going to be LONG and agonizing.

I wish you the best of luck as a fellow Oregonian, but that would make me nervous.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok, pls dont rip on me .... first background ...we were denied K-1 visa we were put in AR in Sept when he had his interview and USCIS sent me a text that our case has been terminated and to wait for a letter.....We got the expiration letter 2 months ago....None of it makes sense to me and Im over trying to find out why, obviously they are never gonna tell us....we believe it was because we met in South Africa instead of going to Nigeria to meet his family was the reason we were terminated....

But now we are moving on Im going to Nigeria to get married to my man and file for CR1 when i return....my main question is DO I NEED A LETTER STATING IM NOT MARRIED FROM A GOVT OFFICE HERE IN THE USA TO TAKE WITH ME IN ORDER TO GET MARRIED IN NIGERIA....if so where do i get this so called paper ....Remember this is Nigeria we are talking about so other countries rules and regulations most likely wont work.... I need to hear from couples married in Nigeria...

The reason we never got legally married when we met in South Africa was due to not having this paper we even went to the embassy and they wrote a paper stating no such paper exists in the United States and it still wasnt good enough for the South African govt....so we still had a life commitment ceremony under god which was good enough for us but not for all the govt officials lol

Its not easy getting married in a country that neither one of you are citizens.

there is no such piece of paper. It's basically your word that you are free to marry you and him. happy married life.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Here is the Nigeria marriage act http://www.nigeria-law.org/Marriage%20Act.htm Make sure the marriage is registered per the law especially if you do it near Lagos or Abuja as the consulate stops by and checks that books to be sure the marriages they are seeing are proper. Do not be trempted to pay more for skipping the marriage bond posting period.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I would be remiss to not mention this, but I assume since you're on the board here, you might already know this, but here goes.

If you go there, and get married, and come back and file the papers, they're gonna take their "own sweet time" in processing them. If the K-1 timeframe was painful, then the "I went and got married just to spite you, and here's my K-3" is going to be LONG and agonizing.

I wish you the best of luck as a fellow Oregonian, but that would make me nervous.

Thank you for your input....Yes, we know it is still going to be a long journey.... we arent going to file K-3 we are just going to file CR1....Yes the waiting is going to be long.....we arent getting married to spite the govt....as far as we are concerned we are married under god which is much better than govt.....but for the govt sake we have to do this not just for the visa even tho the Lagos Embassy told us, it was one of two options if we wanted to be together, but we are starting a business together and for business purposes and of course the visa making our marriage legal is the best thing for us to do at this point in our lives....

we have been totally honest about our relationship with the govt. If they dont want to believe us after this petition I have no problem moving to his country it wont be easy but I will get my man one way or another....Wish you the best in your visa journey also....Its nice to see another Oregonian on here

Thank you everyone you have put my mind at ease.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Africa: Sub-Saharan regional forum. Topic is about marriage procedures in Nigeria and not about the US Spousal Visa process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

My husband and I were married in Warri last year and even though I got divorced only 2 months before our wedding we had no problem. I didn't have to show any paper work. They accepted my word that I was legal to marry and all was well.

Timeline

Just to be sincere, its not really a long wait, cos i see a few people make it sound like it takes ages. All things being equal, you are looking at eight months.

Best of luck to ya'll.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

They always find reasons to deny people. During my Fiancee's K1 Interview, she was asked why I did not go to meet her in the UK since she was in the UK for a long time. So, logically, meeting in SA should not be a reason for the denial.

Regarding your question, if you were married previously, they will need to see your final divorce decree. Good luck.

Timeline

They always find reasons to deny people. During my Fiancee's K1 Interview, she was asked why I did not go to meet her in the UK since she was in the UK for a long time. So, logically, meeting in SA should not be a reason for the denial.

Regarding your question, if you were married previously, they will need to see your final divorce decree. Good luck.

Thank You neither have been previously married....

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Just to be sincere, its not really a long wait, cos i see a few people make it sound like it takes ages. All things being equal, you are looking at eight months.

Best of luck to ya'll.

Awwh I was so encouraged when I saw your post. That gives us hope, we are March 2014 filers. I am praying that my husband is here by the end of this years God willing.

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Timeline

Well I just got married in Lagos and Yes you do need a spinster affidavit ..... take your tax papers with you that show you are single if you filed head of household on the copy you give them you need to check single also they will accept this....Thank god I had mine saved in my computer.... or the other alternative is you go to the Embassy with your tax papers if you dont want to leave your tax papers with the registry and have them notarize a statement from you that you are single this is also accepted....So good luck to all those who are yet to marry in Nigeria......About Nigeria dont believe everything you read on the internet....lol

Timeline

Well I just got married in Lagos and Yes you do need a spinster affidavit ..... take your tax papers with you that show you are single if you filed head of household on the copy you give them you need to check single also they will accept this....Thank god I had mine saved in my computer.... or the other alternative is you go to the Embassy with your tax papers if you dont want to leave your tax papers with the registry and have them notarize a statement from you that you are single this is also accepted....So good luck to all those who are yet to marry in Nigeria......About Nigeria dont believe everything you read on the internet....lol

They were just giving you wahala. There is no such thing as a spinster affidavit in Nigeria. It isn't required or needed. They will have Americans run around chasing their tail to get all manner of documents and such that they know is not required. If you went to embassy they would laugh at you.

Honestly they wanted to see your tax papers to see how much money you make. It is a game they play to see your kidnapping worth. Just like the Nigerian embassy requesting some wanting to visi Nigeria to submit their bank statements. Really for what? It is not required or necessary.

Know your rights and don't play their game. I had to say something to this misinformation. Sorry they played you like that.

If anyone finds an issue at any registry on proving singleness go to another registry. It is not required. Go to the embassy and complain. Heck all you have to do is say "I will go to American Embassy" and you would be surprised how they back up their games.

Your passport and birth certificate is all that is required and needed.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.