rica30

I got my green card several months ago... Now what?

13 posts in this topic

Hi! I got my green card several months ago (less than a year)... What's the next step? I read people posting about N400 and when I researched what it means, it says filing for naturalization. Is that my next step? Can I opt for dual citizenship instead? And how long before I can start applying for these?

Any info and opinion will be appreciated. Thank you!

Have you filed for removal of conditions? When does your card expire?

You are not yet eligible for naturalization.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Your timeline says you got married 11/11/11 and you got your GC 10/03/13 so you need to file for removal of conditions in 2015, within the period 90 days before your GC expires.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

It says my card expires Sept. of 2015. What should I do next?

Did you get your green card through marriage? Is it a conditional green card?

Yes, I got it through marriage.

Your timeline says you got married 11/11/11 and you got your GC 10/03/13 so you need to file for removal of conditions in 2015, within the period 90 days before your GC expires.

What happens after that? And how do I apply for removal of conditions?

Removal of conditions is form I-751 and you will be eligible for naturalization in 2016.

Read over the I-751 instructions.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Harpa is correct that you need to file for ROC, removal of conditions which will replace your 2 year conditional green card with a permanent 10 year green card. After that then you will be able to file for the N-400 which is citizenship. As far as dual citizenship is concerned, it depends what country you come from an allow dual citizenship, and not sure about the Philippines, My wife is from Poland and it taking the oak ceremony on Feb 12th, 2014 and Poland allows her to keep her Poland citizenship. If they didn't allow it I know she would not become a citizen of the U.S. She if very Polish, you can take the Pole out of Poland but not the Polish out of the Pole.

Removal of conditions is form I-751 and you will be eligible for naturalization in 2016.

Read over the I-751 instructions.

Okay. Thank you very much!

Harpa is correct that you need to file for ROC, removal of conditions which will replace your 2 year conditional green card with a permanent 10 year green card. After that then you will be able to file for the N-400 which is citizenship. As far as dual citizenship is concerned, it depends what country you come from an allow dual citizenship, and not sure about the Philippines, My wife is from Poland and it taking the oak ceremony on Feb 12th, 2014 and Poland allows her to keep her Poland citizenship. If they didn't allow it I know she would not become a citizen of the U.S. She if very Polish, you can take the Pole out of Poland but not the Polish out of the Pole.

Hahaha! That's good that her country allows dual citizenship. I will have to check with mine.. Thank you for the information and congratulations in advance to your wife!

Hahaha! That's good that her country allows dual citizenship. I will have to check with mine.. Thank you for the information and congratulations in advance to your wife!

If you are Filipino? Yes! our country allows dual citizenship.

Good luck!

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

hello everyone just wanna get an idea if its okay for me to file my citizenship i had my removal of condition and granted till July 2023 and i was a resident here march 30,2011

i have read here that i am eligible to file my citizenship. cause i was here straight 3 years and never went outside US ifever i am qualified when can i file for my citizenship? thanks

hello everyone just wanna get an idea if its okay for me to file my citizenship i had my removal of condition and granted till July 2023 and i was a resident here march 30,2011

i have read here that i am eligible to file my citizenship. cause i was here straight 3 years and never went outside US ifever i am qualified when can i file for my citizenship? thanks

You should go to http://www.uscis.gov/n-400 and review the instructions. The "eligibility worksheet" will be very helpful in determining your eligibility. You can also download the application form and its instructions.

I also strongly recommend reading "A Guide to Naturalization" (USCIS M-476) which you can obtain at http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/guide-naturalization.

VJ has a guide on naturalization but it has not been updated for the new version of the form which came out recently.

See under "Becoming a US citizen" at http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.