Sulaimon & Brandy

Overseas Joint Bank Account

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am unsure if this is the proper place to ask this question, if it isn't then I do apologize in advance. My husband and I have a joint banking account in his country. I am curious if anyone else has one as well and how do you wire money to the account. I have been just using western union to send him money to put in the account but I would really like to wire money to the account myself. If I use my bank it will cost me $35.00 at one bank and $50.00 at my other bank that's just the wiring fee. I know he takes the money to the bank but will that be enough for the interview or to prove that I also contribute to the joint account? I'm really just confused.

Mr. & Mrs. Adigun

do a google search titled something like this, "sending money to Gambia," and you will get alot of ideas of how to send money at very reasonable rates.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

my bank allows me 1 wire transfer (incoming or outgoing) for free per month maybe see if you can find another bank that will allow you to do that as well? But $35 is the pretty standard transaction fee for a wire transfer (thats what my bank charges if I do more than 1 in 30 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try a site called Xoom, I use it to send money to the Philippines all the time, but you will have to check about Gambia, but they do send money to many different countries,and they charge $4.99 per transaction. There maximum amount of transfer is $2,999.00 at one time. They also make money additional money on the transfer by not paying the full amount of the current exchange rate, it very minimal per each dollar, but it adds up when you send large amounts. Your bank transfers like you are currently using, do the same thing though, but Xoom only charges a flat $4.99 transfer fee.

My fiancé just sent me money through western union last month. $8 to be wired to my bank account.. Not sure about your country. Try checking western union?

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Timeline

Thank you all very much. I will look into other ways online and also look at Xoom. Does Xoom do bank transfers or is it like western union?

Nope The Gambia is not a country listed on Xoom. Sad face thanks for the info though.

Mr. & Mrs. Adigun

Timeline

My fiancé just sent me money through western union last month. $8 to be wired to my bank account.. Not sure about your country. Try checking western union?

Sure Ill check western union perhaps I can do a wired transfer through them.

Mr. & Mrs. Adigun

Timeline

Try XE.com but you will have to send as dalasi, they don't have fees though.

Ill take a look at XE.com. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Mr. & Mrs. Adigun

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Off Topic; topic is about wire transfers and not any immigration process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband wires money to my bank here in the states from ours in egypt they are different banks so might be possible for you to wire from your bank account in the states to the one in his country did you talk to you bank about it?

sara

My husband wires money to my bank here in the states from ours in egypt they are different banks so might be possible for you to wire from your bank account in the states to the one in his country did you talk to you bank about it?

sara

sorry i just read the fees both your banks charges serves me right for just glancing thru and not reading it all the way.............