Lisaashley

Fiance visiting restrictions after K1 visa is issued

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This information is very helpful! thank you! Do you know if after the Fiance Visa is put in my fiance's passport, can he still "visit" the states and come in officially on the fiance visa at a later date or once he has the visa and visits the states then does that automatically starts the 90 days?

I ask bc we are planning to get married in July, and have him move here in May.

but he wants to visit in March and this could be after his interview date.. ( we are awaiting the interview date at the moment)

thank you,

Lisa

Timeline

Do you know if after my Fiance's interview and after he has recieved the Fiance Visa in his passport, can he still "visit" the states and come in officially on the fiance visa at a later date or once he has the visa and visits the states then does that automatically starts the 90 days?

I ask bc we are planning to get married in July, and have him move here in May. (approx 80 days before our intended wedding date)

but he wants to visit in March and this could be after his interview date.. ( we are awaiting the interview date at the moment)

thank you,

Lisa

Hi Lisaashley! I'm pretty sure you can only enter the US once after you get your K-1 visa and that counts as the start of the 90 days. I found this on another visa website (and the US government website also says the same thing): 'The K-1 visa allows a fiance(e) to enter the U.S. one time only. If your fiance(e) leaves the U.S after entering with a K-1 visa already approved, he (she) may not re-enter on the K-1 visa'.

I think before the visa is approved, you're allowed to enter as a visitor, but only if you can prove that you're really intending to go back to your country after the visit, as otherwise they will think you're trying to stay illegally.. I was thinking of visiting my fiance before getting approved, but I'm not going to risk it.. :(

Our journey so far:

27 Mar '09: Met at work in Holland and started dating.

30 Nov '13: Got engaged in Scotland!

10 Jan '14: Sent I-129F package to Dallas Lockbox.

22 Jan '14: NOA1 received.

29 Jun '14: Congressman Lobiondo inquired at TSC about our case.

16 Jul '14: Senator Menendez inquired at TSC about our case.

21 Jul '14: NOA2 approved!! (180 days)

23 Jul '14: Case sent to NVC.

01 Aug '14: Received NVC case number.

07 Aug '14: Case sent to Dutch consulate.

13 Aug '14: Packet 3 received, completed the DS-160 form.

15 Aug '14: Sent Packet 3 back to the consulate.

21 Aug '14: Packet 4 received with interview date.

02 Sep '14: Medical examination.

16 Sep '14: Interview --> APPROVED!!

20 Sep '14: Passport with visa returned.

12 Oct '14: POE, entered the USA!

14 Nov '14: Married! <3

24 Dec '14: Filed AOS/EAD.

31 Dec '14: AOS/EAD NOA1's received.

29 Jan '15: AOS RFE received for 2014 tax return.

23 Feb '15: AOS RFE response sent.

13 Mar '15: EAD RFE received for legal married name affidavit.

17 Mar '15: EAD RFE response sent.

29 Apr '15: Filed InfoPass to find out why I still didn't get biometrics appt.

06 May '15: Biometrics appointment.

14 May '15: Received EAD (finally!)

22 July '15: Interview waived.

08 Sep '15: Got my Green Card!

nZV0p1.png

Hello there,

Would it be possible to move the interview date to after his visit in March? I am pretty sure if he were to visit you in March with the K-1 visa in his passport that would count as entry to the US with the intent of getting married. Once he would leave the US, the K-1 visa would be void no allowing entry to the US in May for your marriage in June. You could visit him.

Best of Luck!

June 11 - "Welcome to America" letter received!!!!!! WE WENT GREEN!
March 10 - Packet sent to CSC
March 13 - Delivered
March 15 - Check Cashed
March 17 - NOA Arrived

Timeline

AlissaCarly... that is what i thought... & makes sense... thank you for your input. hope your process goes smoothly!

PCV, It is totally possible that his interview date would be after he visits in March, which would work out amazingly... but as of now, my i-129F petition expires on February 23rd... so we may get a date before then, if not, then the March trip can happen and i would just send the notorized letter with him to the later interview...

but its all a lil risky to plan... so on to the next plan which may mean that i visit him. ;-)

Good Luck to you too!

Edited by Lisaashley

Filed: Timeline

If you go to the K-1 interview and you've been approved the next time you see your fiancees passport it will have a K-1 visa inside. After that point your fiancee can only enter on the K-1. If your fiancee can legally enter the US before the interview no problem but visiting is off the table after the interview.

Timeline

This information is very helpful! thank you! Do you know if after the Fiance Visa is put in my fiance's passport, can he still "visit" the states and come in officially on the fiance visa at a later date or once he has the visa and visits the states then does that automatically starts the 90 days?

thank you,

Lisa

Hi! I think this is an information only thread, so both of our comments are most likely going to get deleted, but my understanding is that when the visa is in your passport you have to use it next time you enter the US. You can no longer visit on a tourist visa when your K-1 has come through.

My K-1 visa interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13931 Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I wrote this very quickly and am not able to go back and edit it!

My POE interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?trim=no&poe=JFK&page=1&dfilter=0

Native Northumbrian

100px-Flag_of_Northumberland.svg.png

Adopted New Yorker

100px-Flag_of_New_York_City.svg.png

Met in London, UK - 8th October, 2010

Fiancee moved back to NYC - October 2011

Two year long-distance relationship

I-129f sent - 10th September 2013

I-129f NOA1 - 24th September 2013

NOA2 - 18th October 2013 (so fast!!)

DS-160 sent - 14th November 2013

Readiness form submitted - 4th January 2014

Medical examination - 13th January 2014

Interview date - 11th February 2014

Visa approved!

Entered the US at JFK - 30th March 2014

Married! - 25th April 2014

Mailed AOS package - 8th May 2014

Recieved NOA for AOS - 12th May 2014

EAD/AP approved - 23rd July 2014

Received EAD/AP - 31st July 2014

Began working again! - 1st August 2014

Do you know if after my Fiance's interview and after he has recieved the Fiance Visa in his passport, can he still "visit" the states and come in officially on the fiance visa at a later date or once he has the visa and visits the states then does that automatically starts the 90 days?

I ask bc we are planning to get married in July, and have him move here in May. (approx 80 days before our intended wedding date)

thank you,

Lisa

If you aren't ready for an interview and visa so quickly, then don't send the readiness for interview form to London immediately or have a medical exam. That will stall the interview assignment.

You can also request a date to fall after March ? because he will be out of the country. We did exactly that because a trip had been booked long before NOA2. Then it became apparent an interview would likely fall during the trip. So he requested an interview date be assigned after his return. London will work with you if you make a request via their online contact form. You can't really speak to anybody by phone in the immigrant visa unit. If you call, you will get the non-immigrant people who will confuse you with other visa information.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** post from another, unrelated topic split and merged with this one. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

AlissaCarly... that is what i thought... & makes sense... thank you for your input. hope your process goes smoothly!

PCV, It is totally possible that his interview date would be after he visits in March, which would work out amazingly... but as of now, my i-129F petition expires on February 23rd... so we may get a date before then, if not, then the March trip can happen and i would just send the notorized letter with him to the later interview...

but its all a lil risky to plan... so on to the next plan which may mean that i visit him. ;-)

Good Luck to you too!

The embassy can extend the expiration date of the petition (up to 4 months, I think). It shouldn't be a problem to just schedule his interview for after the trip in March.

07/19/2011 - Met while we were both working in Kuwait

03/18/2013 - I left Kuwait at the end of my contract and returned to the States

07/19/2013 - Got engaged!

09/24/2013 - Mailed in the I-129F packet to TSC

10/01/2013 - Received NOA-1

11/05/2013 - Received NOA-2

12/02/2013 - NVC receives the paperwork

12/03/2013 - Case number assigned

12/06/2013 - Case shipped to embassy

12/29/2013 - Case received by embassy

01/02/2014 - Interview scheduled for January 15th

01/07/2014 - Medical exam

01/11/2014 - Interview pushed back to January 22nd

01/22/2014 - Had the interview, was put into AP pending more documentation

01/26/2014 - Visa approved!

03/18/2014 - She entered USA

04/04/2014 - Married!

05/01/2014 - Filed AOS

05/09/2014 - AOS NOA

06/05/2014 - RFE for tax returns I didn't have when we filed

07/06/2014 - Biometrics appt in STL

08/13/2014 - The dreaded NPIW letter

04/25/2015 - E-mail notification of Green Card Approval!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

thank you,

Lisa

Why not delay the interview if its before you want. Don't send in paperwork to have an interview schedule even. Since you are a VWP he uses that to come and visit in March when he goes back send in the paperwork you need to get the ball rolling on your interview slot.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Once the K-1 is issued, on next arrival to the US it's used, and I believe your visitor visas get invalidated once it's issued as well.

Waiting to file the readiness forms seems to be your best bet.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.