missyouhoney

Nationality of the the affidavit letter writer

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello,

I´m about to ask a friend of us who is a legal alien in The U.S.A. ( H1B work visa ) to write a letter for us for the I-751. Is it OK if she´s an alien on an H1B visa, or do we need a U.S. citizen to write it? The other letter will be written by my husband´s boss who was born in Russia but is now a U.S. citizen. What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

M

I was told this by an expert on the immigration process: The letters that you talk about are considered "secondary evidence" and while asked for there are much more important requirements and evidence that are looked at first. So, in my opinion, you can get just about anyone to write these letters. For example, my wife had a filipina friend, at the time a 2-yr GC holder, provide a letter for her I-751 and I questioned it's validity with my trusted expert and the above is what he told me.

Best of luck!

As stated above, affidavits are considered "weak" as opposed to "strong" evidence and anyone can provide them. Even non-US citizens like the parents, friends or siblings of the permanent resident. While there is no harm in adding them to your packet, they can also be omitted completely. Good luck! :)

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Thank you very much carton025 and Cheezees. We will make sure then that our main evidence is gathered and well put into the packet. Good luck to you both too!!!

M

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't know where you guys got the impression affidavits are not important, it's weak etc.. I read hundreds of appeals and it clearly showed the Court considered every single affidavit submitted.Yesterday someone asked my help with an RFE, well the alien's mother wrote the affidavit and the Uscis adjudicator questioned many things his mother wrote in the affidavit, if they don;t give a damn then there was no reason for the adjudicator to ask all those questions right?

Did you guys read any RFE? well I can't copy and paste here, but most of them state " submit evidences such as affidavits from family and/or friends..." then please do not tell me affidavit is not important!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Well, I had none as I find the idea of asking people for affidavit on my marriage at least little strange, got approved with no issue. Now authorities in US are really trusting, but once can send tons of affidavits which authenticity will be impossible to verify...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I don't know where you guys got the impression affidavits are not important, it's weak etc.. I read hundreds of appeals and it clearly showed the Court considered every single affidavit submitted.Yesterday someone asked my help with an RFE, well the alien's mother wrote the affidavit and the Uscis adjudicator questioned many things his mother wrote in the affidavit, if they don;t give a damn then there was no reason for the adjudicator to ask all those questions right?

Did you guys read any RFE? well I can't copy and paste here, but most of them state " submit evidences such as affidavits from family and/or friends..." then please do not tell me affidavit is not important!

I think what people mean is that affidavits are not sufficient to prove a bona fide marriage. They have their place, but sending affidavits only is not enough to get approved, and they are probably not considered as strong evidence as proofs of co-mingled finances for example. Since the official USCIS instructions mention at least 2 affidavits, I sent some anyway.

Those instructions say nothing about the nationality of the people who can provide affidavits so I don't see why non-citizens couldn't write one. Worst case, they would just not be considered by the adjudicator.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

I agree with this and find it interesting that some would discourage others about submitting affidavits. To be honest, lawyers (or so-called immigration experts) don't always know what USCIS is thinking. I know because I used one for my AOS. As much as the legal firm helped me gather information, there were times when the legal firm was like "We don't always know what USCIS thinks." So I wouldn't put all my eggs in a basket by getting feedback from an expert. One thing I've learned is, if you're not sure about submitting something, go ahead and submit it (whether or not it's considered "weak") - because who knows, that may be one evidence your adjudicator needs to approve you.

With that said, I think it is important to also know that one can't just submit affidavits as the only evidence either. Just as one can't just send financial documents with no back up such as proof of joint residence and call it a day. For example, if someone decides to only submit joint bank statements as their evidence and nothing else but got an RFE, will the bank statements be considered "weak"?

ROC Journey:

4/24/13 - Submitted I-751 application

4/26/13 - I-751 officially filed

6/11/13 - Biometrics done

8/14/13 - Rec'd RFE

9/21/13 - Submitted RFE response

9/23/13 - RFE response rec'd at VSC

(about 2 months later)

11/21/13 - Service request via Tier 1 submitted

12/11/13 - Response to service request rec'd - vague info about processing times

12/12/13 - Service request via Tier 2 submitted

12/10/13 - APPROVED!!! (letter rec'd 12/14/13)

12/16/13 - 2nd Service request response rec'd

12/17/13 - Card production email/text rec'd (online case updated)!

12/24/13 - Notification rec'd via email regarding card mailed on 12/23/13 (online case updated as well)

12/26/13 - 10-yr card rec'd!

One thing I have learned on this journey:

There is no such thing as an "overkill" evidence package. Submit anything and everything you can. Who knows what will prevent you from getting an RFE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.