17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I recently found out I was pregnant but there are complications as it is an ectopic pregnancy and my ovary is full of blood. There is a good chance I'm going to need surgery which will cost around $20,000. I'm 21, my husband is 20, we don't have money like that. We have filed for AOS (although it is currently on hold because we failed to send his W2's so we're in the process of sorting that out) but my K1 is now expired. Is there any way I can return to the UK for medical treatment then return to the U.S.without having to restart this whole process? I have no idea how we're going to pay for these medical bills otherwise; this has all happened since Sunday when I found out I was pregnant after ending up in an urgent care centre with severe abdominal pain.

Timeline

Did you also apply for EAD/AP at the same time?

I know there's an opportunity to go in and ask for an emergency AP.

I know you're in a risky situation but I would try my best to get at least AP before leaving the US.

I didn't, because I was really not expecting to need one. I'm considering calling the USCIS if I need to, but I'm not even sure if I'll be safe to fly.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I've already emailed the NHS asking if they know of any options, but they're still yet to reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obamacare.

You emigrated so NHS no longer relevant.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My prayers go out to you and your husband. Eptopic pregnancies are very scary and very dangerous. I wish I could provide you with a more desirable solution but if you know you can get the medical care you need by going back to England then I highly suggest you do so. I know you and your husband don't want to have to endure the whole immigration process being apart all over again but your life and health are what are important and what are at risk right now.

I hope someone here can provide you with a better solution where you can receive the care you need and not have to leave your husband's side. ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm not sure about the immigration end but I do know a lot about ectopic pregnancies. It is not safe to fly right now. First, the pressure changes can affect your body. You could easily bleed out in an hour. It happened to me. I had to have 10 units of blood and CPR twice on the operating table. DO NOT FLY! You can go to a not for profit hospital and have the surgery then ask for a write off for hardship. People do it all the time. Pay $5/month on your bill if you have to but do not fly. You could bleed out in the air and no one could do a thing about it. Have you asked the doc about methotrexate? Is it too late? Please message me if you have any questions. I do this for a living and I'm 100% sure that you are not okay to fly with an ectopic pregnancy.

Ah! After that being said, never mind. Do not fly back!

Praying for you.

I'm not sure about the immigration end but I do know a lot about ectopic pregnancies. It is not safe to fly right now. First, the pressure changes can affect your body. You could easily bleed out in an hour. It happened to me. I had to have 10 units of blood and CPR twice on the operating table. DO NOT FLY! You can go to a not for profit hospital and have the surgery then ask for a write off for hardship. People do it all the time. Pay $5/month on your bill if you have to but do not fly. You could bleed out in the air and no one could do a thing about it. Have you asked the doc about methotrexate? Is it too late? Please message me if you have any questions. I do this for a living and I'm 100% sure that you are not okay to fly with an ectopic pregnancy.

PLEASE listen to this advice…every passing day of an ectopic pregnancy is a danger to your health. Your fallopian tube could rupture at any minute with devastating consequences. You need to be back at the doctors NOW, ask about payment plans. Its not ideal but its life…..it kicks you in the ### at times but you will cope and get through it. Your life is worth more than $20,000!!!!!

Lots of luck, let us know how you get hon xx

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You need to go to your county's county hospital and from what I can work out for San Antonio that seems like it is http://www.universityhealthsystem.com here in Houston that would be Ben Taub, they should take you without insurance. You always need to take care of your health first and then deal with costs after the fact so please do this asap!

As stated you can have the surgery written off. You need to talk to the billing department. My husband had back surgery while he was a student and we had it written off, very easily done. We filled out one piece of paper. I do not know much about your condition but take care and receive care as soon as you can!

Timeline

You need to go to your county's county hospital and from what I can work out for San Antonio that seems like it is http://www.universityhealthsystem.com here in Houston that would be Ben Taub, they should take you without insurance. You always need to take care of your health first and then deal with costs after the fact so please do this asap!

Thanks, I'm actually already being seen by the UHS, but they are still billing us the full amount even though we have no money or insurance. I'm going for my 3rd appointment this week tomorrow and they're charging me over $100 each time I come in even though it's them asking me to keep coming in.

I'll look into having it written off. Every time we go to the hospital we ask how much it is costing and who is in charge of taking care of billing but no one ever seems to know!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As long as you are still being treated.

Surprised they do not want to get you signed up for Obamacare. Also look into Emergency Medicaid.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

As long as you are still being treated.

Surprised they do not want to get you signed up for Obamacare. Also look into Emergency Medicaid.

Good advice. Women can get emergency Medicaid for the term of their pregnancy if your income is below a certain level. You may also want to explore the Obamacare exchanges for a plan you may be able to afford.

AOS

I am the petitioner:
11/11/2013 filed I-130, I-485, and I-765 concurrently
11/19/2013 NOA1
11/29/2013 received biometrics appointment letter
12/06/2013 RFE
12/19/2013 biometrics completed
12/20/2013 RFE Response mailed to NSC
12/21/2013 RFE Response delivered to NSC
12/24/2013 Case placed in RFE Review status
01/16/2014 EAD in document production
01/21/2014 EAD mailed out
01/22/2014 I-485 placed in Testing and Interview status
01/23/2014 EAD received

05/07/2014 Received notification that interview is scheduled for June 12

06/12/2014 Interview. I-130 approved, but AOS pending decision

06/13/2014 AOS approved

06/18/2014 Notification that Green Card has been mailed

06/20/2014 Received green card and welcome letters

I-751:Removal of Conditions

03/19/2016 Mailed I-751 package to VSC via USPS Priority Express

03/21/2016 VSC received I-751

03/25/2016 $590 check cashed

03/28/2016 Received NOA1 dated 03/22/2016

04/08/2016 Received biometrics appointment for 04/18/2016
04/18/2016 Biometrics completed

03/25/2017 Received approval letter (date of approval was 03/19/2017)

04/04/2017 Received "New card is being produced" text messages and emails

03/19/2017 ROC approved

N-400: Naturalization

04/19/2017 Priority date

05/15/2017 Biometrics completed

06/16/2017 Case in line for an interview

12/04/2017 Interview was scheduled 

12/09/2017 Received interview appointment letter 01/09/2018

01/09/2018 Interview (passed tests and recommended for approval)

01/23/2018 Online status updated to "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled"

03/14/2018 Online Status updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed" (letter received 03/17)

03/28/2018 Oath Ceremony...wife is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Just curious how she would get public assistance to pay her medical bills if she's not yet adjusted status? Would she have any entitlement to assistance?

Isn't her petitioner responsible for her?

Genuine question....I'm not advocating one way or the other. I hope she gets the medical care she needs.

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

UK citizens can still possibly get treatment under the NHS in certain conditions. The NHS states this:

"You will be exempt from charges if you can produce evidence that you have been working abroad for less than 5 years and have lived in the UK continuously for at least 10 years at some point".

However, I would not recommend flying and would urge you to seek treatment locally as soon as possible; you are a ticking time-bomb and your health and life are more important than $20,000.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.