honeyallpie

Mistake when filling out US application to petition children over 21

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Trying to help out my Filipino mother-in-law here: when she filled out the application to sponsor two of her children to bring them to the USA, she marked "Unmarried" on the application for her married son. Even though later in the application she listed the information on the son's wife and children, now she has received notice that the application has been approved, but the son is again listed as "Unmarried" on this approval notice.

Does anyone have experience with this, and does this present a major problem with her application process?

Thanks in advance!

Trying to help out my Filipino mother-in-law here: when she filled out the application to sponsor two of her children to bring them to the USA, she marked "Unmarried" on the application for her married son. Even though later in the application she listed the information on the son's wife and children, now she has received notice that the application has been approved, but the son is again listed as "Unmarried" on this approval notice.

Does anyone have experience with this, and does this present a major problem with her application process?

Thanks in advance!

Sad to say but getting married automatically invalidates the original petition.. sad.png Even if it was a mistake coz when US embassy finds out that he/she is married, you category changes and everything else.

Edited by merkin78
event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks in advance!

yes it matters. Married children is a whole different category, she will have to file another petition with the correct information.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes it is a major issue especially if MIL is not a US citizen yet.

LPRs cannot file for their married children (this voids the i130), only US citizens can (if this is the case, she has to correct the category from F1 to F3).

Called USCIS today, everythings is gonna be ok they are considering it a Typo mistake and will issue a new NOA approval form with the correct information.

Wow! Really? Good for them , we did not get the full story on this issue though , is your mother in law a US Citizen?(as green card holders can't petition married son /daughter ), I might say that they already corrected the situation prior to the approval & USCIS made a typo on the category afterwards.

Good luck !

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

3/7/12.. Visa on hand
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png

Stepson I-130 Petition

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

NVC Stage

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

4/24/14... Case Complete

Timeline

Just let mother know that waiting time for F3 category Philippines (Married sons/daughters of USC) is 21 YEARS.

Timeline

Their case files will be stored somewhere until their priority dates become current.

The waiting time for the unmarried daughter over 21 is 13 YEARS under F1 category.

Edited by apple21

USCIS approve my mother in law K3 petition for her 21 yrs older married son and unmarried daughter already.

she applied last July of 2012.

This is a recent visa bulletin as of February 2014...

You're sister inlaw's category is:

Third: (F3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences.

As of February 2014: the visa they are processing on this category in the Philippines is with priority dates of

Feb. 8, 1993 which is still 21 yrs ago.

Just prepare your mother in law as her married sons visa won't be current until at least 21 yrs wait.

Here's the link for visa bulletin from US Department of State. You can check priority dates of unmarried children too..

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin/2014/visa-bulletin-for-february-2014.html

Good luck!

Edited by merkin78
event.png
Our I-129F Journey

3/7/12.. Visa on hand
4/24/12... AOS Mailed

Stepson I-130 Petition

NVC Stage

4/24/14... Case Complete

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

USCIS Extends Relief Measures for Filipino Typhoon Victims

Release Date: January 14, 2014

WASHINGTON U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds those affected by Typhoon Haiyan, which struck the Philippines on Nov. 8, 2013, of agency efforts to provide relief to victims of the typhoon.

Filipino nationals in the United States should visit www.uscis.gov to learn about a series of existing relief measures that may be available to them if requested. These relief measures include:

A change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even when the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired;

An extension of certain grants of parole made by USCIS;

An extension of certain grants of advance parole, and expedited processing of advance parole requests;

Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;

Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens;

Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate; and

Assistance to LPRs stranded overseas without immigration or travel documents, such as Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards). USCIS and the Department of State will coordinate on these matters when the LPR is stranded in a place that has no local USCIS office.

In addition, USCIS has proactively identified and is expediting pending I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, forms that have been filed by U.S. citizens for their Filipino immediate relatives. Our standard security checks remain in place.

Timeline

Children 21 years old and over are NOT classified as immediate relatives. They are not included in the expedited cases because their visa category is limited and bound by visa quotas. Sorry.

You can google VISA BULLETIN to see the current priority dates being processed by NVC per visa category and country.

Edited by apple21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.