gorgehiker

I'm new to this & very nervous!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline

I'm just beginning here! My fiance is in Tanzania and I will try to plow through this application without an attorney. I'm nervous I will miss something or discover we don't have enough $$ to satisfy AOS. If he has two school-age children whom we do not plan to bring to US for another year or so, I understand they still need to be included on his application. But does our AOS need to reflect a family of 4 then? :-(

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Introducing Our Members to K1 Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Financial requirement is 125% poverty for the number of people living in the USC home when you apply. Only USC income counts toward this number.

Down the road he will need to meet the requirements for the number of people who will be living in the home when you bring your children. If you bring over two children. Total would be (4) $29,437

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

As an aside, this is an expensive process. There are many expenses beyond the actual Visa costs. A person who is truly just at 125% poverty will have a difficult time. (at last count, I have spent right around $12,000 this year getting my wife here and through the AOS.) YMMV

Edited by slowlyman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If they will be following-to-join within a year on a K-2 visa, then they need to be listed on the I-134 where it states, "Name of spouse and children accompanying or following to join person:"

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline

Okay, thanks everyone for your advice. This forum really helps! One more question: Do I submit $340 with the I-129 as well as $240 for the K1 visa, or am I misunderstanding something? Basically, I guess I need to know what the fee is to begin filing the I-129, but the website links are so confusing. And really, I am a smart, college-educated person, but really I feel overwhelmed in plowing through all the details..........sigh.

Only $340.

$240 is paid at the embassy stage/interview stage

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.