GeeH

AOS filed, requested EAD and Parole... how long before they arrive?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We sent off the forms yesterday and I am eager to get my social security number so I can get my ID cards and insurance etc sorted. I was told I could get a social security already, so I went to apply and a month on I am still waiting for them to process it (I called a few times and was finally told that the US embassy were having difficulty tracking my i-94?!)

Since I applied for Social already, and now sent of EAD, is there a chance there might be confusion with my social security number? What should I do if I get my social before EAD arrives?

Also what is the waiting time for a greencard these days?

I want to visit my family and be a bridesmaid at my best friends wedding in July, so I asked for Parole for that, but I heard that sometimes in can only be 6months from applying to get the greencard! How realistic is that?

Thanks!!

Adjustment from a K-1 can take around a year. It will either take ~8 - 12 months but you will just receive your green card in the mail, or it will take ~4 - 6 months but you will attend an interview at your local office. It seems to be around a 50-50 chance as to which will happen in your particular case.

Your EAD should be issued within 90 days. As a K-1 you are already entitled to a social security numbed without an EAD, provided you apply with at least 14 days of validity left on your I-94. It sounds as though they are not processing your SSN application correctly. Did you provide them with a copy of your I-94, and apply in your maiden name?

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

What hypnos said!

EAD and AP should arrive on a combo card together. Processing times right now are saying it should take right at 3 months. My husband applied a month ago and just had his biometrics appointment this week. We don't expect him to have his EAD/AP anytime before late January (if even then).

As for your green card, if you applied for EAD/AP, it doesn't really matter if it takes 4 months or 12 months since you'll have clearance to work and travel with the EAD/AP which should arrive within 90 days.

As for your social security card, I agree that they're doing something wrong. You should have your I-94 printed out (since I believe you needed it for AOS), so you hopefully took this to the social security office. I'm not sure what their issue would be if you took this document with you. I'd call the office and ask to talk to a supervisor. And/or schedule an appointment at your local social security office.

And I'm not sure I understand your question about what to do if you get the social security number before EAD arrives....Your social security card will have a message that it is only valid for work in conjuction with the proper documentation (EAD). But you will need your social security number before EAD arrives in order to find employment.

Also, you just sent the forms yesterday, so not sure why you think EAD is having confusion with your social security number. I assume you did not put a social security number on your AOS/EAD/AP forms since you did not have one. The EAD is being processed independently of your Social, so I can't see any way that it would affect it.

Good luck with everything!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

We sent off the forms yesterday and I am eager to get my social security number so I can get my ID cards and insurance etc sorted. I was told I could get a social security already, so I went to apply and a month on I am still waiting for them to process it (I called a few times and was finally told that the US embassy were having difficulty tracking my i-94?!)

Since I applied for Social already, and now sent of EAD, is there a chance there might be confusion with my social security number? What should I do if I get my social before EAD arrives?

Also what is the waiting time for a greencard these days?

I want to visit my family and be a bridesmaid at my best friends wedding in July, so I asked for Parole for that, but I heard that sometimes in can only be 6months from applying to get the greencard! How realistic is that?

Thanks!!

I looked at your timeline. You had 76 days from your US entry to get a SSN as a K1. The window is now closed so you likely won't get one if you go back to try to sort it out, unless is was already issued.

You sent your AOS package yesterday. Within 90 days you will get work authorization (EAD) and advance parole (AP). When you get the card, you can go back to social security and get a SSN based, not on K1, but on having EAD. You can work with your EAD card and travel to the UK with the AP. Once you get a greencard, you no longer need the EAD/AP card because the greencard allows work and travel.

Also, it wasn't the US Embassy having a problem with your I -94. You finished with the embassy when you got your visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I applied for Social Security on November 13th. I was told a 4 week wait to get my card but to call in advance as when it's issued it's on the system and I can go to the office and they can print it out. All I need is the number not the card it self. Anyway, I called a couple of times and they kept saying it was pending. The last and third time I tried it happened to be the man that took my paper work in. I had taken my I-94 to the appointment printed out, which he had made a copy of, along with my visa and passport. However, he also found that it was pending, so he dug around in the office and found a note from USCIS I guess (that's what he said) that they wanted him to send in a printed copy of my I-94 because they were having difficulty of some sort finding me. That's what I was told. He said that it would be another 30days from that point on and that was a week ago.

SInce I put in the process before the 76 days I assume it will be going through. My concern about EAD and social getting mixed up is that I thought I would be getting a Social issued with EAD too, if there is a chance that my social number from my original visit does go through I was just wondering if this would confuse Social security at all when it comes to issuing me one with EAD.... does that make sense?

The EAD is separate from the social security number, so no worries on getting two!

And dang...that social security office sounds like a mess! Although at least that last guy seemed helpful. Hopefully it's on its way!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

You don't get a social security number when you apply for EAD. Having an EAD gives you the ability to apply for one, you have to go do that yourself at the SS office. Or you can get one with the I-94 while it's still valid, which is what you've done. If you still don't have the number by the time you get your EAD, just go back to the office with the EAD, should be no problem then.

Edited by Lainie B

I counted wrong. I was looking at your interview date, not POE. You have until Christmas Eve(ish) to be issued a SSN as a K1. Hope they sort it for you by then.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.