kutran

I-130 and K-4 To bring step-child to the US

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

I am a USC and my wife is K-1 approved and now pending I-485. Is it possible to for me to file I-130 on behalf of step-daughter and then file K-4 once we receive the NOA from I-130?

Thank you.

Assuming you married before the child turned 18 you file an I-130 as their step-parent and can seek an CR-2 immigrant visa instead. K-4s are rarely issued.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Two choices.

Choice 1. Pursue the K-2 non-immigrant visa. The cutoff date the US Embassy can issue a K-2 is one year after the issuance of the K-1. Daughter will need to adjust status to get a green card.

Choice 2. Pursue the CR-2 immigrant visa. US citizen stepparent files I-130 for stepchild. Child automatically gets a conditional green card upon entering the US with the CR-2.

I believe the K-2 is quicker by several months. The cost may be a bit more than the CR-2.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

my 2 cents:

The K-1 interview was in Tokyo on 2013-09-23. Chase a K-2 this week in Tokyo with the IV Unit there.

Child not in Tokyo? inquire via the Guangzhou IV Email Webform thingie if you can run a K-2 through on the child, giving over the consular casefile number. If they say no, because of the K-1 interview in Tokyo,

then

File an I-130 on the child, chasing a CR-2 visa. Don't waste time on any K-4, do not file the I-129F after filing the I-130 - it's a waste of time.

However, if Guangzhou IV Says YES! - then chase a K-2 on the child immediately with the IV Unit .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K-4's are issued ONLY in conjunction with a K-3, which is not available to your wife. K-4 is a derivative of a K-3, NOT a separately available visa.

The I-129F would need to have been filed for a spouse, NOT your step-child.

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/k3-k4-visa/k-3k-4-nonimmigrant-visas

A child may be eligible for a K-4 visa if:

• He or she is unmarried, under 21, and the child of a qualified K-3 nonimmigrant visa applicant

So, yes - the OPERATIVE I-129F is the one you already filed for your fiance. The step-daughter may be eligible for a K-2, as Darnell pointed out. If not, the I-130 is the way to go. No I-129F may be filed.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.