Kathryn41

This is disturbing. . Canadian denied entry to US for cruise due to medical depression - how did border get restricted private medical information?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

It's stupid. There is that law in the USA that allows them to look into whatever they want in Canada. The law (same one that created homeland security etc..) made it so many provinces, including Alberta, amended their privacy laws. Apparently Ontario needs to look at theirs more. (and the rest of the provinces as well, just to be sure that what our doctor's know, actually stays between us and our doctors!)

Also these officers should be sued. Hello discrimination?!

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's stupid. There is that law in the USA that allows them to look into whatever they want in Canada. The law (same one that created homeland security etc..) made it so many provinces, including Alberta, amended their privacy laws. Apparently Ontario needs to look at theirs more. (and the rest of the provinces as well, just to be sure that what our doctor's know, actually stays between us and our doctors!)

Also these officers should be sued. Hello discrimination?!

I don't think you can sue immigration officers for denying someone entry.. They wouldn't be able to do their jobs if they were open to such suits. You can appeal it, and they did give her that option with a medical exam and a waiver application.

As far as her medical history, she was pretty public about it, even wrote books on it. I don't know if that made her medical history more accessible or not, but she hasn't hid most of her history of depression.

Adjusting from F-1
AOS

08/23/2013 - Package Mailed

08/25/2013 - Package delivered
08/29/2013 - Email/text notifications received
09/03/2013 - NOA hard copies received

09/09/2013 - Biometric appointment letter received
09/23/2013 - Biometrics appointment (completed)

10/01/2013 - status online changed to "Testing and Interview"

10/28/2013 - EAD in production
11/06/2013 - EAD received
11/08/2013 - Interview/Approved with RFE for long form birth certificate

12/03/2013 - sent in birth certificate

12/14/2013 - got notification green card in production
12/24/2013 - Green card

They denied entry over something stupid. Depression? Really? What, are they going to deny entry to someone with Autism? Down's syndrome? It's ignorant. I understand needing the waiver to immigrate but not to visit. She was merely passing through the USA as well.

The officer cannot be sued I agree (I wish they could) but the CBP can have media exposure (as has happened, but should have included the officer's names) and several letters written to the CBP about this. I know my husband would write a sternly worded letter and then follow up to see what's happened about it all. Apparently they've referenced something she has not written about which is what the issue is. They accessed her medical record so this person's private medical history has been violated.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I really dislike the direction the world is taking in general... /end rant Enjoy everyone. /leaves convo

Most states/provinces have laws regarding reporting patients who are involuntarily admitted to mental health facilities to the local authorities, and it SHOULD be that way. At a minimum, the patients information appears before a judge within the first 72 hours of confinement (Ontario). Who knows how much information ends up within the judicial system once it gets sent to a judge. It basically says in the article she was involuntarily admitted. Do you really want someone who's been involuntarily admitted 20 times for whatever reason to be able to enter the US at will without some form of informative review?

I admit the border agent was probably over reacting.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

wow.. insane..

"U.S. border guards are allowed to bar anyone they deem a threat to themselves, others or their property."

There is the excuse. I would surprised if they had any medical records, it must have been a police report (she had three suicide attempts including one where she became paralyzed form the waist down)... Very surprising they would do such a thing.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There's always more to it than meets the eye

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.