mygrade100

RFE for marriage certificate

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello VJers,

I got an RFE for I 130 marriage certificate, stating that they need the certificate in my native language. Mine is issued in English and is not issued from the government in my native language. What should I do about this?

Any suggestions?

Mar 07, 2013 : NOA 1

Nov 19, 2013 : Request for Evidence mail received

Nov 25, 2013 : Documents send in response to RFE

Dec 03, 2013 : NOA 2 ( I 130 approved)

Dec 09, 2013 : Case reached NVC

Jan 08, 2014 : NVC assigned Case Number

Jan 15, 2014 : Paid I 864 (AOS) bill online

Jan 16, 2014 : Completed DS 261 (choice of agent) online

Jan 21, 2014 : Express mailed AOS package

Jan 27, 2014 : Paid DS 260 bill online

Jan 29, 2014 : Express mailed DS 260 civil docs

Jan 29, 2014 : Submitted DS 260 online

Feb 13, 2014 : Received False checklist for civil docs by email

Feb 24, 2014 : Case Complete

April 14, 2014 : Interview. YAY!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

This is very strange i have heard about. Usually they ask all docs to be translated in English if the docs r in our native language. Do u have marriage certificate in native language coz i dont think now a days they issue any docs in native language unless asked for specially.....

Which part of India r u from??? I am frm Gujarat and i also hav submitted I-130 but i hav submitted mrg cert in english. They issue mrg cert in guj in english only....

Pls do keem posted here /....

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

November 14 2013 I-130 Sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 15 2013 I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox Facility

November 18 2013 Email from USCIS about Petition Acceptance (PD Nov 15 2013)

November 19 2013 I 797 NOA 1 received by mail

March 24 2015 Received E Mail and Text Notification about Case transfer to another USCIS Office

March 28 2015 Received Hard copy of Transfer Notice from USCIS

March 31 2015 Case Approved by USCIS

April 1 2015 Received Email and Text message for Case Approval

April 4 2015 Received Hard Copy of NOA2 from USCIS

NVC STAGE

April 16 2015 Case received at NVC

April 24 2015 Case Number and IIN received on Call

April 27 2015 Paid AOS Fees and Submitted DS-261

April 29 2015 Welcome Letter from NVC in Email

May 05 2015 DS-261 reviewed over phone

May 06 2015 AOS & Civil Documents sent to NVC

May 07 2015 Documents received at NVC

May 08 2015 Email from NVC to pay IV Fees

June 08 2015 IV PAID

June 10 2015 Submitted DS-260

July 13 2015 Case Completed

July 29 2015 Finally....Got Interview Date

Sep 18 2015 Interview (Approved)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello VJers,

I got an RFE for I 130 marriage certificate, stating that they need the certificate in my native language. Mine is issued in English and is not issued from the government in my native language. What should I do about this?

Any suggestions

That is strange.

Edited by rocketman

Timeline

I am from kerala and they only provide English marriage certificate. I know its starnge nobody has heard about this. This is the first time.So is it better to notarize a document saying that it is issued only in English and that is the true copy.?

This is very strange i have heard about. Usually they ask all docs to be translated in English if the docs r in our native language. Do u have marriage certificate in native language coz i dont think now a days they issue any docs in native language unless asked for specially.....

Which part of India r u from??? I am frm Gujarat and i also hav submitted I-130 but i hav submitted mrg cert in english. They issue mrg cert in guj in english only....

Pls do keem posted here /....

I understand what you are saying. This is probably best asked in the India forum, but in the meantime...

Let me ask you this.

Under what marriage act did you marry in India?

The Reciprocity schedule here http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9215#docs

says there are different types of marriages and that many are not normally registered with the government anyway.

Do you have any religious marriage documents in a local language at all?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Hindus and Muslims often only do a religious wedding, then they get it registered under the Special Marriage Act if they need a piece of paper for legal reasons. For a number of reasons, this process being one of them, I chose to get the Special Marriage Act waalaa with my wife immediately after my religious marriage (actually we went to register it before the ceremony even began, but that's another long story). Special Marriage Act certificates, which is probably what the OP has, are issued in English.

OP, you need to call the USCIS disinformation line and demand to speak to a Tier 2 Supervisor. Do not accept a Tier 2, ask for THEIR SUPERVISOR. Put in a service request with them. Then if that does not work or you have doubts you need to go to the USCIS Ombudsman's office ASAP.

http://www.dhs.gov/ombudsman-case-assistance

I-130 Sent: 11 November 2013

I-130 1st i-797(NOA-1): 12 November 2013, Vermont (Dis-)Service Center (1 day in transit)

I-130 2nd i-797(NOA-2): 30 May 2014, Vermont (Total Dis-)Service Center (199 days in USCIS hell)

I-30 Received at NVC: 11 June 2014 (11 days in transit)

NVC Case # Assigned: 27 June 2014 (15 days to case number assigned)

DS-261 Completed: 15 July 2014 (18 days to DS-261 available)

AOS Fee Bill Paid: 17 July 2014

AOS Fee Bill Shows "Paid": 22 July 2014

AOS Package Sent Out:23 July 2014

AOS Package Recieved: 28 July 2014

DS-260 Completed: ?

IV Fee Bill Paid: ?

November 2014 USCIS Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqgp_fafY_R6dFI3cDREc2tNWV9qV09mMzN3WXR2dEE&usp=sharing#gid=3

Timeline

I am from kerala and they only provide English marriage certificate. I know its starnge nobody has heard about this. This is the first time.So is it better to notarize a document saying that it is issued only in English and that is the true copy.?

I am from Kerala too. My certificate is completely in English and no onuce of Malayalam in it. We did a Christian Wedding and registered our marriage with the municipality ( which is required now). Call USCIS and explain that you are from a State that heavily uses English in its governance. My i-130 got approved with no issues.

Strange thing is my wife's Birth Certificate from Kerala has English and Malayalam.

Edited by scienceworks

I am from Kerala too. My certificate is completely in English and no onuce of Malayalam in it. We did a Christian Wedding and registered our marriage with the municipality ( which is required now). Call USCIS and explain that you are from a State that heavily uses English in its governance. My i-130 got approved with no issues.

Strange thing is my wife's Birth Certificate from Kerala has English and Malayalam.

Calling USCIS won't help.

The answer may be to respond to the RFE with an explanation that the one submitted is the marriage cert, but before I would do that, I would make sure that no stone is left unturned.

Often people have the wrong marriage cert and they don't know. The OP may have another marriage document. The RFE may be for another thing.

OP: If you could type the RFE here that would help, and tell the forum about your marriage in India.

Improperly responding to the RFE can lead to a denial. So if the answer is that the OP has the wrong document, and the OP sends a note back saying "that's all there is," the OP can be denied.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

YES I DID REGISTER IN THE GOVERNMENT

u did not tell us under which act you registered in india

was your marriage certificate registered with govt

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Get a certified document from the local authorities about this and submit. This should be in the India forum I believe, check out the section for a similar problem.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.