LittleFox

Possible issue at Port of Entry?

26 posts in this topic

Dear All,

After receiving my K1 Visa, I decided to buy my flight ticket to be finally reunited with my fiancé.

I decided to by a one way trip and found a really not expensive ticket between Xmas and New Years Eve. I jumped on the occasion and booked it with Opodo.fr.

On my confirmation receipt: everything is fine, it is considered as a one way ticket. But on the itinerary, the company booked me a round way trip with a flight back home that I have never asked for... Of course, I called the booking company to understand why they booked me a round way trip and not a one way trip like I ordered. The nice customer service guy told me on the phone that they booked me a round way trip in order to provide me the lowest price, the only thing I have to do is to not take the plane back home.

Do you think it could be an issue at Port of Entry?

Thank you so much in advance for reassuring me.

No problem.

Aloha Ke Akua

Dear All,

After receiving my K1 Visa, I decided to buy my flight ticket to be finally reunited with my fiancé.

I decided to by a one way trip and found a really not expensive ticket between Xmas and New Years Eve. I jumped on the occasion and booked it with Opodo.fr.

On my confirmation receipt: everything is fine, it is considered as a one way ticket. But on the itinerary, the company booked me a round way trip with a flight back home that I have never asked for... Of course, I called the booking company to understand why they booked me a round way trip and not a one way trip like I ordered. The nice customer service guy told me on the phone that they booked me a round way trip in order to provide me the lowest price, the only thing I have to do is to not take the plane back home.

Do you think it could be an issue at Port of Entry?

Thank you so much in advance for reassuring me.

No problem. God Bless

Another option which I took is, once you arrive, rather than cancel the ticket - postpone to a much later date - up to a year away. That way you can always use for a trip home. I travel back to the UK several times a year since I arrived.

Another option which I took is, once you arrive, rather than cancel the ticket - postpone to a much later date - up to a year away. That way you can always use for a trip home. I travel back to the UK several times a year since I arrived.

Simple but brilliant suggestion. I wish I had though of that myself!

Aloha Ke Akua

I thought of that but you will always have an unused leg unless you go back home and stay permanently. I did book the return leg for 89 days after my then fiancée arrived as a just incase things did not work out. I cancelled the return leg and have kept the confirmation number of that cancellation even thought I doubt I need it now, but I will keep it until my wife gets her citizenship.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I came here to ask the same question. If all goes well for my fiancee, we will get his ticket tomorrow. The original plans were to use my Skymiles but since we are booking the ticket for (hopefully) less than two weeks away and during the holiday season, my Skymiles are not enough. I found that a round trip ticket is over $400 cheaper so we were worried if we book a round trip ticket he will have trouble at his POE. What exactly will they say when he enters if he has a round trip ticket or do they even question it? Delta said if we don't use it for a visit, we can credit it back to our account for future travel. He should be coming in through Atlanta. Also, does anyone have a suggestion on how long of a layover he might need at the POE? I was told that they take immigrants into customs and talk to them for a while. I am seeing 2-3 hour layovers for teh flights we are looking at. It jumps up to 8-9 hour layovers after that. I hate to have him stuck at an airport for 8-9 hours if not necessary.

February 13, 2011 I met the love of my life!!

February 21, 2013 He proposed in Rio de Janeiro at Ipanema Beach Post 9!!!!!

May 1, 2013 Petition mailed to USCIS
May 3, 3013 Petition Received by USCIS
May 7, 2013 NOA 1
September 11, 2013 Text and email saying USCIS APPROVED
September 13, NOA2 received
October 10, 2013 files sent to NVC
October 18, 2013 file received by NVC and I was given case number over the phone.
October 22, 2013 marked as IN TRANSIT
October 23, 2013 Consulate received and later that same day marked as READY
October 31, 2013 Packet 3 &4
November 27, 2013 INTERVIEW DATE!!!

December 16, 2013 FINALLY APPROVED!!!!!!

December 18, VISA IN HAND!!!!

Flight to USA January 15, 2014

Arrives in Michigan January 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM!!!!

Married in Lapeer, Michigan on February 21, 2014 Exactly 1 year after we were engaged!!

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

I have never seen a case of a return trip being an issue at POE. IF they ask him about it, he can simply tell the truth, that two-way flights are cheaper and that you plan on either cancelling or postponing the return flight.

As for the layover, have you read reviews on Atlanta POE? From what I've read, they seem to be pretty calm and easy-going there. I would still think that 2-3 hours is way too short. Even something simple as his flight from Brazil getting delayed might throw things off. I understand the 8-9 hour wait is a pain, but it might be best to be on the safe side.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.