78 posts in this topic

He's a victim because a gate agent wasn't cheery to him?

Really?

Next time someone is rude to me in store I'm going to chock it up to being Northern European in origin, yah know because we are a minority around here.

There is real racism and pretending that a maybe not so friendly gate agent is an example of it demeans people who really are victims.

People can tell when someone is rude to them because they are racist and just rude because they are having a bad day. Big difference.

Since you don't have to face this you do not understand.

Um..no. He's not a victim but you have got to be kidding me if you think Airport personnel don't treat asians/africans/middle eastern people as "less than worthy" than White europeans. It's so blatant that anyone denying it's existence is either a) in denial or b) has probably treated others with the same level of disrespect and can't face it honestly.

Racial profiling at the airport isn't exactly "news". I found it funny when they picked out the blondest bluest eyed person in the room to have their bags searched after they pretty much singled out every single brown person in the waiting area at Heathrow airport while coming to the States. Just so that they wont be accused of profiling. But it was profiling. Anyone with a pea sized brain could see that.

So the gate guy had a bad day while talking to an Asian but his day was going just fine when he was talking to the tall blond gentleman in front of you? Yeah right.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

People can tell when someone is rude to them because they are racist and just rude because they are having a bad day. Big difference.

Since you don't have to face this you do not understand.

No, I wouldn't know anything at all about what it is like to have a mixed race child or be married to someone mixed race being that I've had those experiences and all. Presumptuous, no?

I also wouldn't know what it is like being the only person with brown eyes within eyeshot or being the short, dark haired/eyed outsider (which I do). I've had airport security harass me in the US and abroad... I've had gate agents be bitchy to me and I've dealt with people's attitudes. However, I don't have the audacity to claim I'm some sort of mind reader. You have NO certainty as to what another person is thinking unless they explicitly tell you so. To go around assuming people are racist when they have not uttered a racist word or obviously done something racist is BS.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Timeline

As someone who has worked in the ER before --

maybe she was annoyed because of why you brought your kid to the ER? You see a lot of judgment from ER staff in that arena, especially if it really was a complaint that should have been handled through a primary care doctor. Sometimes seeing the 908340983th kid that day brought in for the sniffles or a low-grade fever that family can't be bothered to treat can (unfairly to the patient) set a triage nurse on edge.

No, I wouldn't know anything at all about what it is like to have a mixed race child or be married to someone mixed race being that I've had those experiences and all. Presumptuous, no?

I also wouldn't know what it is like being the only person with brown eyes within eyeshot or being the short, dark haired/eyed outsider (which I do). I've had airport security harass me in the US and abroad... I've had gate agents be bitchy to me and I've dealt with people's attitudes. However, I don't have the audacity to claim I'm some sort of mind reader. You have NO certainty as to what another person is thinking unless they explicitly tell you so. To go around assuming people are racist when they have not uttered a racist word or obviously done something racist is BS.

So if a guy stands in front of you and licks his lips and looks at you as if he wants to devour you, and grabs himself, what would you think?

"Ow he is not a pervert. Why would I be so silly as to think this?"

Let's not pretend that certain actions cannot be an indicator of what the person is thinking.

What a long thread over what might or might not (the popular vote) be racism -- I think the point has been made and beat into the ground. headbonk.gif

journey.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Firstly, you are allowed to feel however you want to feel. I think Oprah (sorry to have to quote her) said it best "all pain is the same". So whether you felt justified in your annoyance or frustration or not, you had to deal with it and feel it. I think perhaps, it would help, to understand that some people just don't have tact and you shouldn't get so upset. Sometimes people just say stupid sh*t without thinking and if you're the one who's blood is always boiling in anger because someone was insensitive, the only person who's losing out is you.

I mean, I am a minority but was born and raised in Canada. I am a second generation Canadian, meaning my parents were also both born in Canada. Yet, I have dealt with racism even in my own hometown. I am asian and I remember getting into a fender bender. It wasn't my fault and I had many witnesses pull over to give me their contact information if I needed it. When the other driver finally got out of their car too, they said to me "Oh, are you from here?". Sure, I could've taken it as if they were being racist, but what was the point? I just answered "born and raised. Why? Do I have an accent?". I've encountered so many people who tried to make me feel less than them because I 'look' a certain way. I've had a lot of people complain about the "asians" taking over our country... Whatever. I just feel sorry for them and the fact that their lives must be consumed with that much negativity to have to pour that onto someone else.

Like I said, you have the right to feel whatever you want to feel. But at the same time, you have the control to let is roll off like water off a ducks back.

Firstly, you are allowed to feel however you want to feel. I think Oprah (sorry to have to quote her) said it best "all pain is the same". So whether you felt justified in your annoyance or frustration or not, you had to deal with it and feel it. I think perhaps, it would help, to understand that some people just don't have tact and you shouldn't get so upset. Sometimes people just say stupid sh*t without thinking and if you're the one who's blood is always boiling in anger because someone was insensitive, the only person who's losing out is you.

I mean, I am a minority but was born and raised in Canada. I am a second generation Canadian, meaning my parents were also both born in Canada. Yet, I have dealt with racism even in my own hometown. I am asian and I remember getting into a fender bender. It wasn't my fault and I had many witnesses pull over to give me their contact information if I needed it. When the other driver finally got out of their car too, they said to me "Oh, are you from here?". Sure, I could've taken it as if they were being racist, but what was the point? I just answered "born and raised. Why? Do I have an accent?". I've encountered so many people who tried to make me feel less than them because I 'look' a certain way. I've had a lot of people complain about the "asians" taking over our country... Whatever. I just feel sorry for them and the fact that their lives must be consumed with that much negativity to have to pour that onto someone else.

Like I said, you have the right to feel whatever you want to feel. But at the same time, you have the control to let is roll off like water off a ducks back.

good.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Wow, just wow.

Some people - cant even say hello and they cry racism.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Timeline

He's a victim because a gate agent wasn't cheery to him?

Really?

Next time someone is rude to me in store I'm going to chock it up to being Northern European in origin, yah know because we are a minority around here.

There is real racism and pretending that a maybe not so friendly gate agent is an example of it demeans people who really are victims.

And I'll sue everybody who didnt give me a job, because they looked at me funny during the interview, and I could feel they were just discriminating me.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Timeline

Sorry that you had to experience that.

She had to experience WHAT? A nurse saying her child's hair is unruly? Really? THAT is a bad experience in the US? Your first world problems never cease to amaze me.

event.png

Timeline

Who is "they,?"

The OP for starters. I am somewhat speechless, and that's not an easy task.

event.png

The OP for starters. I am somewhat speechless, and that's not an easy task.

By "they" you mean people of color who always have to deal with racism. Your statement is unfair if you do not have to wear these shoes everyday knowing that you cannot scrub your brown or blackness off to improve how people treat you. You don't know how it is to be smart, intelligent, clean, presentable, speak with common sense but still frowned upon because of the one thing you can't change.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.