xplode123

marraige sham? - my wife got visa, came to us and left 1 week after

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i am a citizen.

i married in india to a girl for whom i filed 130 and was given visa/gc about 3 weeks ago.

as soon as she got her visa she came to us (in 3-4 days). she came over, stayed for 1 week exactly and then started telling me about how she is in love with someone else back home

and left me.

i am lost as to what to do. first thing i was thinking of getting in touch with USCIS and filing marriage sham complaint

but not sure whats the procedure.

please help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Did she get her 2 year green card yet. Did it come in the mail to your house. I don't think much can be done but you can still write them so that it can be on her file and when its time to remove the condition off of that card they will know its a fraud. But I am not 100% certain as to what can be done.

Keep it Real

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Report her to all the of people mentioned in the above. Make an info pass appointment at the local office and take a copy of your report to them. File a missing persons report and also file for divorce immediately. By left you is she in the US or did she go home ?

Oh an never ever for any reason meet her alone. She may stage an abuse claim

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

File to remove I864 if you have not. Make info pass appointment and report her to FDNS and file for divorce ASAP, do not be alone with her for 5 min to avoid a abuse claim, change your phone number, the locks to the house and DO NOT speak to her relatives at all, you have been scammed pure and simple, Cancel the I864 ASAP, if you have not filed it, to do ot adjust her status. It will be very hard to try and move on the sooner you do this the sooner you can heal over being used.

Filed: Timeline

This reeks of sham. There is little you can do at this point except reporting to the above mentioned.

If you have been married less than 2 years, she currently has 2 year conditional permanent residence status. This means that in order for her to remove those conditions in 2 years, you'll either have to file jointly, or you have to get a divorce and she can try to remove conditions on her own without you. To do this, she will have to prove to the USCIS that she entered the marriage in good faith and not for immigration purposes. This will be very difficult for her to do with a fraud warning and only one week in the US with her "bona fide" husband.

If she cannot prove to the satisfaction of the USCIS that she entered into the marriage in good faith, she will be in removal proceedings, and, if it is proven she married you only for a green card she will never set foot in the US again.

Edited by jaycali

File to remove I864 if you have not. Make info pass appointment and report her to FDNS and file for divorce ASAP, do not be alone with her for 5 min to avoid a abuse claim, change your phone number, the locks to the house and DO NOT speak to her relatives at all, you have been scammed pure and simple, Cancel the I864 ASAP, if you have not filed it, to do ot adjust her status. It will be very hard to try and move on the sooner you do this the sooner you can heal over being used.

Good grief.

Newbies (shakes head)

It's an I130 dude. There is no option to "file to remove I864"

(shakes head again)

"your honor, he threw my client out, changed the locks, abandoned her on the street, and held her immigration status over her head. Doesn't that sound like mental/emotional abuse to you? Look at this agreement he signed - it was to maintain her at 125% poverty limit...."

It happens. With that said the BEST thing to do is to quickly and quietly get her to her love back home then file a full report with USCIS as soon as the plane leaves the runway. The USC can file for divorce based on abandonment, sit out the waiting period, and end it after she's gone.

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.