Penny Lane

A woman in ND is giving this out to overweight kids on Halloween.

63 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Maltesers are a confectionery product manufactured by Mars, Incorporated. Maltesers consist of a roughly spherical malt honeycomb centre, surrounded by milk chocolate. They are most popular in Denmark, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Spain, Ireland, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Iceland and Portugal.[citation needed] Maltesers are sold in a variety of packaging, including plastic bags (ranging in size from small 'fun-size' upwards), larger cardboard boxes and tubes, and plastic buckets (ranging in size from medium to very large). They also have medium sized "teasers" in Celebrations boxes. Maltesers are also one of the types of sweet included in Mars's Revels assortment.

In February 2013, Maltesers were sold in Faroe Islands, Austria, Italy, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Macao, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Australia, New Zealand, Slovenia, the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom.

History

Maltesers were created by Forrest Mars, Sr. in 1936, and first sold in 1937. They were originally described as "energy balls" and aimed at slimming women.[1]

The current Maltesers' slogan is "The lighter way to enjoy chocolate" - earlier slogans have included "The chocolates with the less fattening centre", "No ordinary chocolate" and "Nothing pleases like Maltesers". The Australian version also contains the line: "Made in Australia... ...exported to the world." In the 1930s, advertisements claimed that the Maltesers honeycomb centre is seven times less fattening than ordinary chocolate centres; this led marketers to claim it was beneficial for weight loss.[citation needed]

In 2011, the product gained Fairtrade accreditation in the UK and Ireland by sourcing all their cocoa and sugar under Fairtrade Terms.[2]

It appears their candy is a lot healthier than our candy.

:) As you say it appears they are better.

Maltesers are just Whoppers.

How many parents are giving their kids whoppers?

Kids are not getting whoppers for Halloween nor is this a popular candy in the U.S.

Kids are getting kit kat, twix, and everything else that is gummy and mushy.

Portion size, which has dramatically risen among average American households, is one of the main obesity culprits. But nutrient and protein poor processed foods and unnecessary carbs don't trail far behind.

This is true. And with the average child not getting much out door activity, combined with playing the play station all day, it doesn't help. Also physical ed in the U.S. is a joke now as well. Points for just wearing a uniform isn't enough. Get them out of the gym and actually get outside and do something with the kids.

Kids are not getting whoppers for Halloween nor is this a popular candy in the U.S.

It's not? I got Whoppers all the time when I was a kid.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Jeez, one of the reasons kids are fat is cause no one "shames them" into not stuffing themselves like pigs. Good for her for pointing out the obvious.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

This is true. And with the average child not getting much out door activity, combined with playing the play station all day, it doesn't help. Also physical ed in the U.S. is a joke now as well. Points for just wearing a uniform isn't enough. Get them out of the gym and actually get outside and do something with the kids.

I like the suggestion for parents to get outside and participate in outdoor activities with their kids, maybe Americans should switch to European model, less hours at work, long vacation times does not sound bad at all.

Jeez, one of the reasons kids are fat is cause no one "shames them" into not stuffing themselves like pigs. Good for her for pointing out the obvious.

I don't know if you've heard, but there is a better, more constructive way to get someone in shape. It's called parenting. Or better yet, communitcation.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Yeah, good for her for bullying a child. Go, lady, go!

Seriously.

And we all know that kids that are in the trick or treating age range are buying food for themselves and preparing their own meals.

There are far more constructive ways to teach proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. Those ways do not include making a young kid feel like sh*t while they're standing on your porch for Halloween.

Edited by Penny Lane

Timeline

I don't know if you've heard, but there is a better, more constructive way to get someone in shape. It's called parenting. Or better yet, communitcation.

I think we can be fairly sure that obesity among children is a sure sign of parenting fail.

When that happens, society steps in and acts like a compass for good behavior. The quote she used is correct "it takes a whole village to raise a child". As a kid, my behavior was corrected not just by my parents, but by my neighbors as well, who stepped right in when they saw I was engaging in a bad behavior and there was no adult around me.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

You knew there had to be one wacko who thought this woman was doing a good thing.

Seriously.

And we all know that kids that are in the trick or treating age range are buying food for themselves and preparing their own meals.

There are far more constructive ways to teach proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. Those ways do not include making a young kid feel like sh*t while they're standing on your porch for Halloween.

I don't know why, but I knew Peter Pan would show up in this thread.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

No, that is not how it works. This sort of attention is unhealthy and just leads to being more fat or eating disorders.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Seriously.

Those ways ALWAYS start with making the person that needs to change feeling like . Best incentive ever.

event.png

I like the suggestion for parents to get outside and participate in outdoor activities with their kids, maybe Americans should switch to European model, less hours at work, long vacation times does not sound bad at all.

Yes, everyone needs to get off the computer, myself included.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Those ways ALWAYS start with making the person that needs to change feeling like ######. Best incentive ever.

Please don't have kids.