TAB2TAB

Avoid unnecessary RFEs! (same sex marriage I-129F petitions)

136 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi fellow VJ'ers -

It may be worth updating the VJ website regarding two specific requirements for same sex marriage I-129F petitions to help prevent others from encountering the RFE that we just received today.

We filed our I-129F on June 28, 2013, just two days after DOMA's Supreme Court smackdown. Shortly after this, we read on websites like Immigration Equality that same sex couples should include verbiage in their "Intent to Marry" letters declaring the US state in which they plan to marry, specifically a state that allows legal same sex marriage.

Since we had already sent off our petition without it, we were hoping that including the intended marriage state was merely a "friendly suggestion" to help reduce the likelihood of generating an RFE. Unfortunately, we've learned today that omitting this info *will* generate an RFE.

However, in addition to asking us to "identify the state in which we intend to marry", the RFE also asked us for something we had not read anywhere else: to provide a "copy of the relevant state's marriage laws permitting people of the same gender to legally marry."

Since we are getting married in Maryland, we included a copy of Maryland's House Bill (438) that legalized same-sex marriage, as well as a USA Today /AP press article that identified that legal same sex marriage had begun. We contacted Immigration Equality who suggested providing both the legal documentation as well as a public article from an established news source.

Hopefully, this will help any of you who are starting out your journey, and I hope that VJ will update the FAQ's to point out this important requirement distinction for same sex couples.

Best of luck to all!

Rob and Adrian

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I cannot believe this!!!! I had actually sent you a private message asking you what was requested on the RFE.... wow.... I am speechless... I have read other same-sex approvals and they did not mention any of this.... they might have included it as part of the package... I mean, seriously? You can tell some adjudicators will need further training in regards to DOMA... according to USCIS´s website, it states:

I am a U.S. citizen who is engaged to be married to a foreign national of the same sex. Can I file a fiancé or fiancée petition for him or her?
Yes. You may file a Form I-129F. As long as all other immigration requirements are met, a same-sex engagement may allow your fiancé to enter the United States for marriage.

Thanks for the heads up!!!! I guess I might get an RFE ugh.... I read about some people who included the state in which they where going to get married but I did not.... oh boy! well, at least if I get an RFE, it means it is closer to an approval :)

I-129F Mailed: 8/23/13

Received at lockbox in Texas: 8/26/13

Text/Email Received: 8/29/13

Case at: TSC

NOA1 Received: 9/3/2013

Alien number changed: 9/18/2013

No RFE!

Petition Approved: 11/25/2013

Petition sent to the NVC: 12/12/13

Obtained case number: 12/19/2013

Petition sent to the consulate: 12/23/2013

Interview: 01/10/2014

Timeline

kmiami, just saw your private message as well! Not sure if the "word" is out yet, and if same-sex couples that are filing now are declaring their intended state of marriage, but I just wanted to be sure people know that not including it can absolutely generate an unnecessary RFE... plus the fact that our RFE asked us to include "the relevant state's marriage laws"... !!

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some variance from petition to petition in how the USCIS adjudicates them - particularly since same sex marriage is such a new addition to the process. Hopefully, USCIS will get the process standardized soon. In the meantime, I'm hoping people will see this and avoid unnecessary delays in their petitions!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

In our letters of intent to marry I did state we would marry in a state permissible by law. I was not specific. I am still waiting to hear back, no rfe no noa2 yet. We'll see what happens.

K-1 Timeline

K-1 Interview Result: APPROVED!

Married on 03/12/2014

AOS Timeline

Mailed I-485, I-131, I-765: 04/14/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 delivered by USPS: 04/15/2014

Check cashed by USCIS: 04/19/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 NOA: 04/20/2014

I-485 RFE: 05/12/2014

I-485 RFE Received: 5/21/2014

I-131 and I-765 Approved: 06/28/2014

EAD/AP Combo Card Mailed: 07/07/2014

POTENTIAL INTERVIEW WAIVER LETTER DATED 07/29/2014

Card/Document Production: 04/07/2015

Welcome Notice Sent: 04/07/2015

AOS APPROVAL PREDICTION DATE: April 22, 2015 brought to you by good ol' Mountain Dew!

APPROVED!!!! 04/07/2015

Timeline

Thanks for your feedback Espared! It might be helpful for petitioners to post what information they put in their "Intent to Marry" letters (whether or not they reference marrying in a 'marriage equality state' or not) and the end result - RFE and the specifics, or no RFE. Hopefully, VJ can start to collect this info and come up with a definitive recommendation for same sex couples. To my knowledge, this is the only aspect of the same-sex fiance petition that differs from the "traditional" opposite-sex petition...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your RFE, but good info for same-sex couples to know. This was talked about quite a few times after DOMA was repealed. First cousins had needed to state they would marry where it was legal for them to do so and it was suggested that same-sex couples also specify the state in which they would marry where SSM is currently legal. I know everyone filing does not see all the posts about it, and it would be helpful to have the information in the guide or FAQ for everyone to find easier.

You can post in the Site Discussion forum and ask the site's admin about making an update to add this info on VJ > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/14-site-related-discussion-updates-ideas-etc/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Sorry to hear about your RFE! I hope it's all sorted out quickly for you. It's pretty great that you guys are sharing your experience. It will help so many couples on VJ in the future. :)

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Hello every one,

we are same sex couple too and yesterday on the 30/09 we received RFE, USCIS said they mailed RFE to us so we dont know yet what they are asking us for until we get the mail.

but we did not include in our intent to marry in which state we are going to get married :(

i cant wait to see the hard copy of the RFE notice

does any one know if we are going to get our NOA2 shortly after USCIS receives the required documents form us?

thanks much

K1

16 August 2013 - I-129F sent to TSC

19 August 2013 - packet received

21 Augist 2013 - NOA1 received

16 September 2013 - Alien registration number changed

30 September 2013 - RFE

25 October 2013 - RFE reply

31 October 2013 - NOA2 received

22 November 2013 - packet shipped to NVC

29 November 2013 - NVC received

3 December 2013 - Packet left NVC

11 December 2013 - Physical packet received by Consulate
26 December 2013 - Interview APPROVED
31 December 2013 -Entry to US
------
AOS
27 February 2014 - Packet sent by FeDex
4 March 2014 - NOA1
28 March 2014 - Biometrics Captured
7 April 2015 - Approved, Card received
------
ROC I-751
21 February 2017 - I-751 Package mailed by USPS
24 February 2017 - Package Delivered
3 March 2017        - Money Order Cashed
6 March 2017       - NOA1 Received in mail dated 27 February
17 March 2017     - Biometrics appointment letter received, appont. 31 March
27 March 2018     - RFE
26 May  2018       - Approval
29 May 2018        - Card arrived in Mail
------
N-400
12 March 2019     - Filed Online
12 March 2019     - NOA1
5 April 2019         - Biometrics Appointment 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for the info! Looks like my partner and I will be keeping a keen lookout in the mail for an RFE.

Journey so far:

08/31/2013: Sent I-129F Packet

08/19/2013: NOA1 Received

09/08/2013: Alien Registration Number Changed

10/15/2013: USCIS reported change of address

10/15/2013: NOA2 Received

10/21/2013: NVC Received Packet

11/05/2013: Packet 3 Received

12/12/2013: Status Updated. Awaiting Packet 4 & interview date

12/14/2013: Packet 4 Received

12/24/2013: Interview -- APPROVED!

01/02/2014: Visa printed and arrived in mail.

FLIGHT BOOKED FOR 04/15/2014 <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I received my NAO2 8/22 california service center. My app is now at NVC soon to be in Vancouver where over the next few weeks we will schedule the interview. I used the sample "intent" letter from this web site and I haven't encountered any snags or RFE's. From my researching it is a common question they ask in the interview, same sex or hetero but very odd they did an RFE for that. Good luck, hope it goes more smoothly for you from here out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello every one,

we are same sex couple too and yesterday on the 30/09 we received RFE, USCIS said they mailed RFE to us so we dont know yet what they are asking us for until we get the mail.

but we did not include in our intent to marry in which state we are going to get married sad.png

i cant wait to see the hard copy of the RFE notice

does any one know if we are going to get our NOA2 shortly after USCIS receives the required documents form us?

thanks much

I have seen that the approval usually takes about 2 weeks after they receive your response to the RFE..... but for some people it has been less and for others it has been a little bit more.... do you know if there´s anything else that you think the RFE is for other than what TAB mentioned? maybe it is something else to do with other forms.... good luck and keep us posted... I am following your timeline and added you as a friend so we can keep in touch....

Edited by kmiami15

I-129F Mailed: 8/23/13

Received at lockbox in Texas: 8/26/13

Text/Email Received: 8/29/13

Case at: TSC

NOA1 Received: 9/3/2013

Alien number changed: 9/18/2013

No RFE!

Petition Approved: 11/25/2013

Petition sent to the NVC: 12/12/13

Obtained case number: 12/19/2013

Petition sent to the consulate: 12/23/2013

Interview: 01/10/2014

Timeline

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

IvanAlex, keep us posted on what your RFE is. I agree with kmiami that from what I've seen, most people get their NOA2s a few weeks after replying to their RFE (assuming no other issues). You will probably be getting your paper copy of your RFE shortly, as ours was sent out Sept 25 and we received it in the mail on Sept 30.

Susan53011, sounds like the USCIS is currently a bit inconsistent about whether or not to issue an RFE if same sex couples don't declare their marriage state. I'm not really surprised since they are processing these same sex petitions for the first time ever. Hopefully they'll come to a consensus soon, and (even more hopefully) they'll decide not to issue these RFEs at all. Seems like any couples that make it this far into the process are not going to make the mistake of trying to get married in a state where it is (currently) illegal! I guess for now, it is better to be safe than sorry, and petitioners should include this info.

Flowershoes, hopefully you won't get an RFE at all like Susan53011 above. Good luck!

I'm sending off our response today (Oct 1) and I'll update this post once we hear back from USCIS.

Thanks all!

Edited by TAB2TAB

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi fellow VJ'ers -

It may be worth updating the VJ website regarding two specific requirements for same sex marriage I-129F petitions to help prevent others from encountering the RFE that we just received today.

We filed our I-129F on June 28, 2013, just two days after DOMA's Supreme Court smackdown. Shortly after this, we read on websites like Immigration Equality that same sex couples should include verbiage in their "Intent to Marry" letters declaring the US state in which they plan to marry, specifically a state that allows legal same sex marriage.

Since we had already sent off our petition without it, we were hoping that including the intended marriage state was merely a "friendly suggestion" to help reduce the likelihood of generating an RFE. Unfortunately, we've learned today that omitting this info *will* generate an RFE.

However, in addition to asking us to "identify the state in which we intend to marry", the RFE also asked us for something we had not read anywhere else: to provide a "copy of the relevant state's marriage laws permitting people of the same gender to legally marry."

Since we are getting married in Maryland, we included a copy of Maryland's House Bill (438) that legalized same-sex marriage, as well as a USA Today /AP press article that identified that legal same sex marriage had begun. We contacted Immigration Equality who suggested providing both the legal documentation as well as a public article from an established news source.

Hopefully, this will help any of you who are starting out your journey, and I hope that VJ will update the FAQ's to point out this important requirement distinction for same sex couples.

Best of luck to all!

Rob and Adrian

Just got RFE guys, I'm a bit disappointed but oh well.

K-1 Timeline

K-1 Interview Result: APPROVED!

Married on 03/12/2014

AOS Timeline

Mailed I-485, I-131, I-765: 04/14/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 delivered by USPS: 04/15/2014

Check cashed by USCIS: 04/19/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 NOA: 04/20/2014

I-485 RFE: 05/12/2014

I-485 RFE Received: 5/21/2014

I-131 and I-765 Approved: 06/28/2014

EAD/AP Combo Card Mailed: 07/07/2014

POTENTIAL INTERVIEW WAIVER LETTER DATED 07/29/2014

Card/Document Production: 04/07/2015

Welcome Notice Sent: 04/07/2015

AOS APPROVAL PREDICTION DATE: April 22, 2015 brought to you by good ol' Mountain Dew!

APPROVED!!!! 04/07/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

IvanAlex, keep us posted on what your RFE is. I agree with kmiami that from what I've seen, most people get their NOA2s a few weeks after replying to their RFE (assuming no other issues). You will probably be getting your paper copy of your RFE shortly, as ours was sent out Sept 25 and we received it in the mail on Sept 30.

Susan53011, sounds like the USCIS is currently a bit inconsistent about whether or not to issue an RFE if same sex couples don't declare their marriage state. I'm not really surprised since they are processing these same sex petitions for the first time ever. Hopefully they'll come to a consensus soon, and (even more hopefully) they'll decide not to issue these RFEs at all. Seems like any couples that make it this far into the process are not going to make the mistake of trying to get married in a state where it is (currently) illegal! I guess for now, it is better to be safe than sorry, and petitioners should include this info.

Flowershoes, hopefully you won't get an RFE at all like Susan53011 above. Good luck!

I'm sending off our response today (Oct 1) and I'll update this post once we hear back from USCIS.

Thanks all!

maybe it depends on the agent who receives the file, i could have got a liberal and you a conservative. But the RFE seems a little discriminatory if they dont send RFE to hetero couples asking the same question. I mean, I realize its not illegal for them but seems so unfair to delay processing over that. What can we do though, this is a new process for them too like you said. Hopefully we will set the trail for those who come behind us and the service centers work out the kinks by then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.