RobBell

Name change after marriage

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So since we will be getting married soon we have a small dilemma with the name change. If she takes my last name it would sound a bit weird to have a Chinese first name and a European/American last name. I'm sure she could use her English first name with my last name but then it would seem like she's loosing her entire identity.

I'm just wondering if any other American/Chinese couples could share what they decided with this issue.

Also if she keeps her Chinese name what are the problems/issues to consider?

Thanks!

Journey so far:

09/14/2012: Sent I-129F Packet

09/21/2012: NOA1 Received

04/22/2013: NOA2 Notice of approval
05/08/2013 NVC Received

06/01/2013 Packet 3 Received

06/04/2013 Packet 3 Sent

06/10/2013 Packet 4 email received

06/27/2013 First Scheduled interview-cancelled (didn't get notarized paperwork in time)

08/12/2013 K-1 interview passed!

08/28/2013 Lili Arrives in the U.S.!!!

10/04/2013 Marriage!!!

03/26/2014 AOS Approved!

04/02/2014 Received GC

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and think of what could go right!

What is so weird about having a Chinese first and "American" last name? Now if her name was going to be David D David, or Jon J Jon, or somehting that would be weird....lol

2008 Met on FB through mutual friends (platonic)
05/2012 Decided to "give it a try" after some mutual flirtations
07/2012 Met in person
08/06/2013 Proposed
21/06/2013 Married
10/09/2013 Sent I-130/I-485
19/09/2013 Cheques Cashed
23/09/2013 Hard copy NOA1
21/10/2013 Biometrics Appt Lawrence MA

21/10/2013 RFE for I-864 only, send tax transcripts and a bunch of other redundant info due to missing tax forms..ugh...

29/10/2013 Send in all required RFE Documents (hold up waiting for IRS transcripts)

31/10/2013 Online status changed to RFE response review

12/12/2013 Status changed to Testing and Interview and EAD sent out 10th, AP approved the 5th FINALLY!!!!!

14/12/2013 EAD/AP Combo received in mail smile.png

18/12/2013 Online Interview date of January 23/2014, instructions sent in mail.

23/01/2014 APPROVED...Green Card being sent in mail, no stamp in passport

29/01/2014 Received Welcome Letter

30/01/2014 Green Card Received babayyyyy!!

01/02/2014 Returned Green Card...Mistake on dates

Filed: Timeline

My wife and I had the same discussion...she is Vietnamese so I hope this helps. The custom in Vietnam is for the wife to keep her family name. She would gladly use my last name in Vietnam despite the fact it's not that easy for someone there to pronounce.

She will ultimately take my last name, but not until she gets to the US. We made this decision for practical reasons...changing her name before she obtains the visa could have an adverse impact on the process (surely it would be more difficult because we'd have to change passports, etc). We thought it best to wait until she got here before we dealt with what, for us anyways, wasn't a critical issue.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My wife kept her name but like a lot of Chinese she has an English nickname and she uses that in social situations and at work. For any banking or official correspondence, etc. she uses her legal name which matches her passport. I always try to guess how she will introduce herself when she meets someone. She has used a number of combinations and on more than one occasion she has used all four at once; English nickname, Chinese given name, Chinese family name followed by my family name. I think her business card is her English nickname and Chinese family name. If she went by her English nick name and my family name it would be a very boring name and like your soon to be wife she didn't want to lose her identity.

Chinese women (in China) as you know, wouldn't take the husband's family name so it wasn't difficult decision for her and I don't have a preference as long as she's happy.

The only problem I see with using her Chinese given name is that she will have to listen to people butcher the pronunciation.

Edited by Operator

Timeline

I've had this same discussion with my fiancee. She goes by an English nickname, and I'm afraid that taking my family name would be completely disconnection from her Chinese identity. But ultimately it's her decision, and I'll call her whatever she would like to be called. Have you considered hyphenating? That's a reasonable compromise (and in our case, I like how our names sound when hyphenated)

2013.1.7- I-129f mailed to Texas Lockbox (with correct fee this time--> Delivered 2013.1.8 (priority date)

2013.5.29- RFE mailed--> 2013.6.3 RFE arrives --> 2013.7.3 Forms mailed back to CIS via DHL--> 2013.7.5 CSC confirms receipt of evidence

2013.7.26- I129f approved! --> 2013.8.16- NVC confirms receipt of petition

2013.8.30- P3 arrives at fiancee's home --> 2013.9.8 P3 documents mailed to GUZ

2013.9.20- P4 email arrives

2013.10.25- Medical exam; 2013.10.28- Interview--> APPROVED!

2014.2.20- POE!; 2014.2.21- reunited in my hometown :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife uses her family name, and not mine.

Makes ID very easy - just think about changing her hukuo book, china id card, china passport, etc - what a PITA !

----

Sure, at some social occasions - she gets introduced as Mrs. Darnell - but that's just for the gweilos....

Dead easy to not change the name, and use her family name, instead of yours, on all legal docs in the USA.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks to everyone!

I think that she will keep her name legally, as Darnell mentioned it will save a lot of frustration with the legal documents. That doesn't stop us from introducing ourselves how we would like. Really there's very few incidences in every day life where the legal name is required.

Journey so far:

09/14/2012: Sent I-129F Packet

09/21/2012: NOA1 Received

04/22/2013: NOA2 Notice of approval
05/08/2013 NVC Received

06/01/2013 Packet 3 Received

06/04/2013 Packet 3 Sent

06/10/2013 Packet 4 email received

06/27/2013 First Scheduled interview-cancelled (didn't get notarized paperwork in time)

08/12/2013 K-1 interview passed!

08/28/2013 Lili Arrives in the U.S.!!!

10/04/2013 Marriage!!!

03/26/2014 AOS Approved!

04/02/2014 Received GC

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and think of what could go right!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife uses her first name, her last as a middle, and my last. It was her choice. NO issues across the board, as well as international travel.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife's Chinese name remains her legal name. She has an English first name she uses almost exclusively in the US as her first name is difficult for English speakers who have not been exposed to Chinese pronunciation. She will use her last name, my last name or them combined depending on the situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.