adamjan

Filling up AOS forms, HELLLLPPPP!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone! So me and my fiance got married in court a few weeks ago and got our marriage certificate the other day!!! Yay!

So taking the advise of some people, I waited to get the SSN until after I get married so that I won't have to go back twice to change my name from birth name to married name.

When I applied for SSN, I showed them my I-94 and marriage certificate and of course, my names didn't match! The I-94 had my birth name, and marriage certificate had my married name. I will still get my SS card, but it will still have my birth name on it to match my I-94. So question number 1: Did I miss a step? Was there a place where I should've registered my marriage so that they can change my name to the married one? If so, where? And how?

So now, I am filling up the forms for AOS (We asked for helped from the guy we hired to help out with the K1 application, but now he is asking for $400 more. So I'm doing it myself!!), and I am confused as to what name I should put. Will it be my birth name since that's what matches with the I-94? Or is it the married name, because of course, we have to be married to be able to apply for AOS.

Need all the help I can get! Thank you soooo much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You will want to use your married name on all the documents you send in for the AOS as that is how your name will come will come back to you on your I-131 and I-765 if you applied for them along with the I-485 form.

I did the opposite as you. I took my fiance to the SS office and got her SS card in her name as it was on her I-94 and then after we were married and we had our marriage license we went back and had the name on her SS card changed into her married name.

Hi everyone! So me and my fiance got married in court a few weeks ago and got our marriage certificate the other day!!! Yay!

So taking the advise of some people, I waited to get the SSN until after I get married so that I won't have to go back twice to change my name from birth name to married name.

When I applied for SSN, I showed them my I-94 and marriage certificate and of course, my names didn't match! The I-94 had my birth name, and marriage certificate had my married name. I will still get my SS card, but it will still have my birth name on it to match my I-94. So question number 1: Did I miss a step? Was there a place where I should've registered my marriage so that they can change my name to the married one? If so, where? And how?

So now, I am filling up the forms for AOS (We asked for helped from the guy we hired to help out with the K1 application, but now he is asking for $400 more. So I'm doing it myself!!), and I am confused as to what name I should put. Will it be my birth name since that's what matches with the I-94? Or is it the married name, because of course, we have to be married to be able to apply for AOS.

Need all the help I can get! Thank you soooo much!

The majority of people in the upper forums do not suggest going after you are married because it can be more difficult. If you would say where you got this advice it would be much obliged.

No matter what your SSN says, you can apply for AOS in your married name. USCIS will accept your marriage cert as proof of name change. The SSA doesn't "own" your name and the US doesn't have a registry of marriages. When you get your GC then go back and change the name on the SS card at the same time you update them with your new LPR status.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

You will want to use your married name on all the documents you send in for the AOS as that is how your name will come will come back to you on your I-131 and I-765 if you applied for them along with the I-485 form.

I did the opposite as you. I took my fiance to the SS office and got her SS card in her name as it was on her I-94 and then after we were married and we had our marriage license we went back and had the name on her SS card changed into her married name.

Ok thanks for answering my question!

About the SS card, I'm still confused! I don't know why I have a problem when the only difference is you came back twice and I went once. The name on her I-94 never changed right? And I brought my marriage license too to prove that I changed my name. So now I'm still at a loss about that. What else do I need to do to prove to them that I have a different name now, aside from the marriage certificate which I already showed them?

The majority of people in the upper forums do not suggest going after you are married because it can be more difficult. If you would say where you got this advice it would be much obliged.

No matter what your SSN says, you can apply for AOS in your married name. USCIS will accept your marriage cert as proof of name change. The SSA doesn't "own" your name and the US doesn't have a registry of marriages. When you get your GC then go back and change the name on the SS card at the same time you update them with your new LPR status.

Oh really? I just got that advise from random people here in VJ. They said to go after getting married to save a trip to SS Office, so that's what I did.

Thank you though for clarifying. I will do just that, put my married name on AOS forms, and then just change my name after I get GC. Thanks again! I appreciate your help! : )

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

About the SS card, I'm still confused! I don't know why I have a problem when the only difference is you came back twice and I went once. The name on her I-94 never changed right? And I brought my marriage license too to prove that I changed my name. So now I'm still at a loss about that. What else do I need to do to prove to them that I have a different name now, aside from the marriage certificate which I already showed them?

I can't explain what happened in the other poster's case, but in our case, my husband got an SSN with a K-1, then legally changed his name while AOS was in progress. The Social Security office wouldn't give him a new card based on his name change decree; they said he will need to show an EAD or green card in his new name before he can get a new card. So I second Harpa Timsah's recommendation that you wait to get a GC and then go back for a new SS card. In the meantime you can use the SSN, and if there is a circumstance where you need to show the actual card, just show the marriage certificate too--shouldn't be a problem. They only issue for my husband has been getting a driver's license with his new name, since in our state the MVA system is somehow tied to the Social Security system.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.