jetset55

Need to break it off, but how?

90 posts in this topic

It took so long because we first applied for a K3 visa based on a marriage in Mexico which was rejected because her divorce from a previous marriage was not finalized. But the marriage is still there, albeit probably invalid, and she has used that to threaten me as well.

If that divorce was never finalized then the K1 won't work, either - as I understand it, you both must have been free to marry at the time the petition was filed. She wasn't. Now you've got 2 good reasons why the visa wouldn't have worked out anyway, the waiver mentioned earlier and the same thing that killed the K3 will kill the K1. I think, anyway - can anyone tell me if I'm right about that?

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Bolivia
Timeline
It took so long because we first applied for a K3 visa based on a marriage in Mexico which was rejected because her divorce from a previous marriage was not finalized. But the marriage is still there, albeit probably invalid, and she has used that to threaten me as well.

If that divorce was never finalized then the K1 won't work, either - as I understand it, you both must have been free to marry at the time the petition was filed. She wasn't. Now you've got 2 good reasons why the visa wouldn't have worked out anyway, the waiver mentioned earlier and the same thing that killed the K3 will kill the K1. I think, anyway - can anyone tell me if I'm right about that?

Well, the government did not consider the Mexican marriage valid for the aforementioned reason, and therefore MUST consider the K1 visa as a a valid application because they themselves rejected the K3 visa.

But in itself the marriage isn't much good because she does not have legal migratory status in Mexico and was still married when we married.

Beyond that I have no assets in Mexico, etc. etc.. I think this part is OK.

Just looking for a way to end it where I can still make it look like it wasn't my fault. But if there is none, I'll belly up and get it done. No harm in that, she'll get over it. I just feel bad for her. Even if she is a psychopath, she was very excited about the visa. She is like a little, spoiled kid, that's the best way to describe it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Why make it complicated; looking for an easy way out?

Just say that after further consideration, "we" don't work as a couple. Goodbye.

If relationships didn't end badly, they would not end. The truth is always best.

that would work - but i'd still suggest he move - preferably to another state - right after he does that.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Well, the government did not consider the Mexican marriage valid for the aforementioned reason, and therefore MUST consider the K1 visa as a a valid application because they themselves rejected the K3 visa.

But in itself the marriage isn't much good because she does not have legal migratory status in Mexico and was still married when we married.

Beyond that I have no assets in Mexico, etc. etc.. I think this part is OK.

Just looking for a way to end it where I can still make it look like it wasn't my fault. But if there is none, I'll belly up and get it done. No harm in that, she'll get over it. I just feel bad for her. Even if she is a psychopath, she was very excited about the visa. She is like a little, spoiled kid, that's the best way to describe it.

as i understand it, she is still considered legally married, which is why your marriage in mexico was ruled invalid for a k-3. she is also therefore unable to be a k-1 as she's not divorced.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

With many tears I called the embassy Thursday and made my intention known to abandon the petition for the K1 visa.

I followed up with a fax on the same day. They were closed today and my significant other is very worried after not hearing from me since Wednesday evening.

I should have tried to get a receipt for her police record and send the affidavit of support but I have done neither.

The relationship is slowly slipping away, and I weep when I think of all the good times we have had together.

I composed a beautiful good-bye e-mail, but no longer have the heart to send it.

It is for the best, and for both of our futures, but I have never been very good at good-byes.

I really did love her, although she was a bit crazy. It was simply a mistake to join lives with someone who had a different vision and mentality.

And now I (and she) must pay the price for making "the two become one" only to later "put them asunder".

I need to get some sleep, anyone have any encouraging words to make this easier?

JetSet55

With many tears I called the embassy Thursday and made my intention known to abandon the petition for the K1 visa.

I followed up with a fax on the same day. They were closed today and my significant other is very worried after not hearing from me since Wednesday evening.

I should have tried to get a receipt for her police record and send the affidavit of support but I have done neither.

The relationship is slowly slipping away, and I weep when I think of all the good times we have had together.

I composed a beautiful good-bye e-mail, but no longer have the heart to send it.

It is for the best, and for both of our futures, but I have never been very good at good-byes.

I really did love her, although she was a bit crazy. It was simply a mistake to join lives with someone who had a different vision and mentality.

And now I (and she) must pay the price for making "the two become one" only to later "put them asunder".

I need to get some sleep, anyone have any encouraging words to make this easier?

JetSet55

some encouraging words would be for you to remember what you said. That she is controlling and violent. Remember there are plenty of fish out in the sea.

Good luck and im sorry your going through this.

21FUNNY.gif

Timeline

Well, I told her and now she is hysterical and depressed.

She loves me, she can't live without me, how could I do this to her, if she only could have the visa everything would be different...even her family joined in to lambaste me by e-mail. It's just one big party. :S

I feel like just going ahead with the visa and alleviating her pain, but then what? Another 2 years of staying in the same place and not moving ahead?

Then I am married to her in the US and what would she do to me then?

Is it worth the risk?

She sounds desperate, almost suicidal. It's bad.

Anyways...

She loves me, she can't live without me, how could I do this to her, if she only could have the visa everything would be different...even her family joined in to lambaste me by e-mail. It's just one big party. :S

I feel like just going ahead with the visa and alleviating her pain, but then what? Another 2 years of staying in the same place and not moving ahead?

Is it worth the risk?

Anyways...

You have a good heart to be so concerned about her, but only she is responsible for her words and actions. You can not save her from herself. I can't tell you what to do about this relationship, but to me it sounds like you would like to break apart and move on with your life. If thats true then take care of yourself and your needs. You wouldn;t be doing her any good anyway if you sacrifice yourself to give her something she wants.

Good luck. (F)

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

remember how she treated you and how that made you feel when you were together before.....despite what she says now....she will not change.

You deserve....as we all do...someone who lifts us up.....not brings us down.

married Dec '03 in US

Feb 04...... I 130 filed......................approved August 04

March 04... I 129F filed....................approved October 04

August 04...I 130 for children filed....approved September 04

Interview: Jan 19 2005 in Sydney

~~~~K3/K4 Visas granted~~~~~

Leave for New Hampshire 27 January 05

We are Home!!!!! :o)

AOS timeline....round 1

2/16/05 I-765 mailed to Chicago

5/24/05 EAD approved

7/11/05 Started work!!

AOS....round 2 (to finally finish things off)

10/25/06 NOA1 for AOS/EAD

11/16/06 Transferred to CSC

11/17/06 Biometrics appt

11/27/06 Touched "Case now pending at CSC"

1/12/07 EAD "touched"

1/16/07 EAD "touched"

1/17/07 EAD approved "Card production Ordered"

1/20/07 I 485 "touched"

1/22/07 EAD card received

6/13/07 Transferred back to Missouri....grrrrrrr

7/23/07 Interview date! FINALLY!

7/23/07 AOS APPROVED!!! :o) 10 yr Greencard I 551 stamp in passport.

7/28/07 Welcome letter received

7/28/07 Card production ordered.

8/1/07 Approval notice senT

8/3/07 Greencards received in mail!

~~~WE ARE DONE~~~

Timeline

There's no easy way out of this type of situation. Trust me, I've been there. I do say hang in there 'cus you probably made the right decision given what you've told us. You'll hurt, she'll hurt, but you'll move on. I'd stick to that.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

July 17 2006 Sent I-129F to TSC

July 19 2006 packet received by TSC

July 27 2006 case received at CSC

July 28 2006 touched (to process/send NOA1)

Aug 01 2006 check cashed

Aug 05 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Oct 03 2006 Touched (RFE sent)

Oct 10 2006 RFE received and responded to

Oct 17 2006 Touched (CSC reply to RFE response)

Nov 06 2006 NOA2

Nov 21 2006 NVC sent to Manila

Blah

Blur

Drone

March 27 2007 Interview

April 02 2007 Visa delivered

April 05 2007 Happiness delivered

April 06 2007 First day of the rest of our lives

"There they go! I must hurry and catch them, for I am their leader."

remember how she treated you and how that made you feel when you were together before.....despite what she says now....she will not change.

Add to that what she could do to you after you file for AOS and sign the legally binding sponsor form... and then you two get into a fight and she runs off saying you battered her, and she gets to stay in the US that way...

It's not a decision that any of us could make for you. We don't know her like you do. We don't know the situation like you do. Only you, in the end, will know in your gut what's really right to do. But just think about her living in your house under a legally binding sponsorship form after AOS, with ways to be able to stay in your country forever where you don't have the comfort of the border seperating you two should she go beserk again. Does that thought make it worth this hardship while you break up?

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Timeline

Is it worth the risk?

Anyways...

You have a good heart to be so concerned about her, but only she is responsible for her words and actions. You can not save her from herself. I can't tell you what to do about this relationship, but to me it sounds like you would like to break apart and move on with your life. If thats true then take care of yourself and your needs. You wouldn;t be doing her any good anyway if you sacrifice yourself to give her something she wants.

Good luck. (F)

There's no easy way out of this type of situation. Trust me, I've been there. I do say hang in there 'cus you probably made the right decision given what you've told us. You'll hurt, she'll hurt, but you'll move on. I'd stick to that.

For people who don't even know me, you have been a tremendous help.

I want to write to her, console her, tell her everything will be OK, just like I always did...until the next blow up.

It was always a repeating cycle. She would become hysterical over something that I had done or not done, then it was the battle of the wills, then the battle of the minds, then who could yell the loudest, things that are not part of me--manipulation and violence. Never had that happen to me before.

But when she got her pacifier "papi loves you", then she would turn into the most beautiful and tender person, sucking away at it.

A little Jeykll and Hyde. But it's the Hyde part I remember in moments like this. I am a fool, but I remember how tender and caring she was (at times) and how much this must hurt her.

Like I say, even her family wrote me to remind me of how cowardly I am, more of the same.

Thanks for your help. I'm sticking to my guns and we'll see what happens. We have no future together, I am sure of that, I just hate to see my little baby hurting so badly. I know how awful this must be for her. I've been there and it ain't pretty. But I guess I survived, and she created this with her pattern of manipulation and threats to get what she wanted.

It was the only way...

Thanks again y'all, just pouring out my heart on a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks...Jetset55

Timeline

I was in a relationship that was the same. Well, not the psycho part but so much arguing and fighting that I wonder how it lasted so long, and it was simply 'cus I was afraid to break it off. I'd do it and come back, time after time, again and again, and the last time it was tough, but I kept in mind that even with good moments, we weren't happy all together. It was tougher on him who kept calling me at 3 am and so on and who hated me afterwards but time passed and now we've both moved on. You'll do the same.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.