edsperfect

curious about prejudice towards immigrants

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am curious as to whether or not any of you have experienced any pejudice in US as to immigrants. My own experience has been there is very little towards those that come here legally and make a effort to assimilate into the society, learn the language, work, etc. In fact from what I see Americans welcome and readily accept them bt then i may be wrong.

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Everyone thinks my husband is Mexican...and there are stereotypes about Mexican--and people have asked him if he is an illegal. Nice. real nice people :wacko:

Lifting Conditions- Nebraska Service Center

3-22-2007: Sent out I-751

3-24-2007: Received at NSC

3-27-2007: Official USCIS received date

3-30-2007: Both checks cashed and case number received

4-05-2007: NOA1 received in mail with correct case number

4-05-2007: NOA1 case number works online

4-06-2007: Received Biometrics appointment notice

4-17-2007: Biometrics Appointment and TOUCHED :)

5-02-2007: Greencard expires

Dec 2007: Received extention until Dec 2008

5-09-2008: Card production ordered!! FINALLY!!!

Naturalization!!!!

Finally getting around to N-400... Filed under 5 years of PR status

5-11-2010: Sent out N-400 - Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

5-13-2010: Received at Lockbox

5-25-2010: Checks Cashed :)

5-28-2010: NOA received but case number doesn't work

6-04-2010: Case number works online and says RFE sent 6-2-10

6-07-2010: Received letter for biometrics

6-22-2010: Biometrics appointment

7-24-2010: Received interview letter

8-26-2010: Interview-PASSED!!

9-30-2010: Oath Ceremony Indianapolis

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

na.. not anything offensive..

only the typical ignorant sh!t like 'oh.. are you mexican? you look puertorican, you don'l look like a mexican!!' (as if it were wrong to look like one lawl) or they ask my wife if we're married just for the green card and stuff...

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

I am curious as to whether or not any of you have experienced any pejudice in US as to immigrants. My own experience has been there is very little towards those that come here legally and make a effort to assimilate into the society, learn the language, work, etc. In fact from what I see Americans welcome and readily accept them bt then i may be wrong.

JMHO, but from what I can see, it's a lot easier if you're a white immigrant.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I get told I dont 'count as an immigrant because I am white' or because I speak English LOL. I tell em how I had to go thru the same process as any other immigrant....they generally dont believe me but it gives me the opportunity to say 'o, so you dont have a problem with immigrants, you are really just a racist' :)

2 weeks ago I was at my nail salon, and some asshat was in there ranting and raving that his wife was 'ignored' in favour of a white client. If any one goes to nail salons you know about sign in sheets, this day they were particularly busy and they accidently skipped a name on the sheet, and it was his wife. Instead of saying something she left and went home, her husband comes in like a raving lunatic playing the race card (wife was black), and accusing the people in the salong of being racists, that white clients always get in ahead of blacs (funny I have had to wait my turn before and there have been blacks and asians and whites ahead of me, maybe i dont know the secret code or something). then the idiot yells out 'Everybody here better have thier greencard and proof they are here legally because Im coming back here tomorrow with INS.'

At which point I turned to him and said 'I dont have a green card' heh he ignored me tho, but I reallllllllllllllllllllllllly wanted to get into it with him. Here he is going on about racist ####### and he pulls that out...how racist was that? Just because they are asian, they must be immigrants, or have questionable status. I was offended as an immigrant. Jerk.

He was lipping off about how he served the country in the military, and worked for the federal gov't and was going to shut the place down because they were racists lol....the only racism flying around was his.

Being a white immigrant with no accent (hardly an accent lol) its easy to blend in and hear the way people do talk about immigrants and foreigners tho. They arent shy to be mouthy when they think they are in 'safe' company. heh

Edited by evilcanuck

12/25/2001 : Met on telephone thanks to mutual friend

03/02/2001 : Met face to face at a concert in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

07/06/2004 : I-129F Sent

07/19/2004 : I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

10/20/2004 : I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

11/01/2004 : Package Received By NVC

11/04/2004 : Rec'd Instructions (Pkt 3)

07/01/2005 : Completed Instructions (Pkt 3)

09/01/2005 : Rec'd Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

11/07/2005 : Interview!!!

11/20/2005 : Visa Received

12/03/2005 : US Entry, finally home

02/04/2006 : Wedding !!!

02/13/2006 : AOS, AP & EAD filed

02/16/2006 : AOS, EAD & AP rec'd

02/24/2006 : NOA for AP rejected (I ticked wrong box duh0

02/27/2006 : NOA for AOS, EAD

03/13/2006 : Biometrics appt

03/05/2006 : amended AP application rec'd

03/09/2006 : NOA for AP

04/06/2006 : RFE for AOS (co-sponsor affidavit)

04/07/2006 : AP approved

04/13/2006 : AP recieved

05/25/2006 : EAD approved

05/29/2006 : used AP for the first time

06/01/2006 : EAD rec'd

07/04/2006 : AP used again to pick up my son, activated his visa (he was a follow to join)

07/13/2006 : AP touched ??? (possibly because I used it july 4th?)

08/01/2006 : Interview date

08/12/2006 : AOS touched

08/14/2006 : Gerrys biometrics

10/10/2006 : AOS interview for Gerry

10/28/2006, 11/11/2006, 11/18/2006, my AOS touched ; 10/12/2006,12/04/2006 : Gerry's AOS touched

12/07/2006 : AOS APPROVED !!!!!!!

12/16/2006 : GREEN CARDS IN HAND!

09/24/2008 : Apply for Removal of Conditions

09/26/2008 : 1 Yr Conditional Resident Extention

11/01/2008 : Biometrics for both of us

01/??/2009 : 10 Year Green Cards!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have had some problems but only once when I had left my fiance in hospital and got lost driving home. I stopped three times to ask for directions, in one place I was told we don't sell maps and heard the guy turn to his friend as I left and say "stupid foreigners" and at the last place I tried I was told "go back to your own f***in country".

Luckily after two hours of driving down the same road in the dark I saw a ploice car and asked the officer for help. He called his sister on his cell and with her help drew me a map to get me home as simply as possible.

I got home, called the hospital to check on my fiance who had nearly died just a few hours before then cried myself to sleep.

Luckily that's the only time I've ever had a problem.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

I have not faced any discrimination or prejudice so far here in Indianapolis, IN. I am as Asian-looking as they come but speak 100% "American English". I cultivated the accent over our two-year courtship before I migrated here on the K1 because my husband had a difficult time understanding my accent over the phone even though I spoke excellent English (and still do).

I also never try hiding where I am from. I love declaring proudly that I am from Asia. Hubby and I also like telling people that I'm a mail order bride and that he found my ad on the last page of the catalog. :lol: The irony of this joke is richly appreciated by family and friends here who know me fairly well. They all know I am well educated and can hold my own in conversations. My co-workers think it's a riot when I make up funny stories about my upbringing and I leave books about my country on my desk so they can browse whenever they hang around my cube.

Total strangers don't think I am different. I look different (shorter, yellow skin, and too skinny for some) but I've not been snubbed. I've had some come up to me chat about the weather or something else totally random. I think this is also due to the wonderful character of this city. There are all kinds of people and most are tolerant at the very least. A lot of people I have encountered don't even care where I am from.

I have not faced any discrimination or prejudice so far here in Indianapolis, IN. I am as Asian-looking as they come but speak 100% "American English". I cultivated the accent over our two-year courtship before I migrated here on the K1 because my husband had a difficult time understanding my accent over the phone even though I spoke excellent English (and still do).

I also never try hiding where I am from. I love declaring proudly that I am from Asia. Hubby and I also like telling people that I'm a mail order bride and that he found my ad on the last page of the catalog. :lol: The irony of this joke is richly appreciated by family and friends here who know me fairly well. They all know I am well educated and can hold my own in conversations. My co-workers think it's a riot when I make up funny stories about my upbringing and I leave books about my country on my desk so they can browse whenever they hang around my cube.

Total strangers don't think I am different. I look different (shorter, yellow skin, and too skinny for some) but I've not been snubbed. I've had some come up to me chat about the weather or something else totally random. I think this is also due to the wonderful character of this city. There are all kinds of people and most are tolerant at the very least. A lot of people I have encountered don't even care where I am from.

:thumbs: Rock on Indianapolis :thumbs:

Lifting Conditions- Nebraska Service Center

3-22-2007: Sent out I-751

3-24-2007: Received at NSC

3-27-2007: Official USCIS received date

3-30-2007: Both checks cashed and case number received

4-05-2007: NOA1 received in mail with correct case number

4-05-2007: NOA1 case number works online

4-06-2007: Received Biometrics appointment notice

4-17-2007: Biometrics Appointment and TOUCHED :)

5-02-2007: Greencard expires

Dec 2007: Received extention until Dec 2008

5-09-2008: Card production ordered!! FINALLY!!!

Naturalization!!!!

Finally getting around to N-400... Filed under 5 years of PR status

5-11-2010: Sent out N-400 - Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

5-13-2010: Received at Lockbox

5-25-2010: Checks Cashed :)

5-28-2010: NOA received but case number doesn't work

6-04-2010: Case number works online and says RFE sent 6-2-10

6-07-2010: Received letter for biometrics

6-22-2010: Biometrics appointment

7-24-2010: Received interview letter

8-26-2010: Interview-PASSED!!

9-30-2010: Oath Ceremony Indianapolis

2 weeks ago I was at my nail salon, and some asshat was in there ranting and raving that his wife was 'ignored' in favour of a white client. If any one goes to nail salons you know about sign in sheets, this day they were particularly busy and they accidently skipped a name on the sheet, and it was his wife. Instead of saying something she left and went home, her husband comes in like a raving lunatic playing the race card (wife was black), and accusing the people in the salong of being racists, that white clients always get in ahead of blacs

Nothing new here. it's the way of the modern day 'minority'.

Someone used that ###### in front of me a few weeks back. I couldn't resist and said out loud, "What is wrong with you, you stupid ######".

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I get told I dont 'count as an immigrant because I am white' or because I speak English LOL. I tell em how I had to go thru the same process as any other immigrant....they generally dont believe me but it gives me the opportunity to say 'o, so you dont have a problem with immigrants, you are really just a racist' :)

Being a white immigrant with no accent (hardly an accent lol) its easy to blend in and hear the way people do talk about immigrants and foreigners tho. They arent shy to be mouthy when they think they are in 'safe' company. heh

I have noticed the same thing. People don't think of me as an immigrant because "after all, it's Canada" and are quite surprised when I tell them about the immigration process 'even for Canadians". I really like your comment "o, so you don't have a problem with immigrants, you are really just a racist" because it sure does seem to be like that. For a lot of people, if you look like them and sound like them, you're ok - but if you are different then you are probably an illegal immigrant. Geeze!

The one observation I have noticed - which isn't really to do with immigration, per se - is that when I moved down here a lot of whites (not all) who I encountered out and about (shopping malls, stores, etc.) were rather aloof and stand-offish and tended to be somewhat rude (no apologies if they pushed past you or stuff like that). Most Blacks, however, were really friendly, started conversations while standing in line, offered compliments or said 'have a great day' or stuff like that when passing in the parking lot and generally made me feel very welcome. Friends who came down from Michigan noticed exactly the same thing. What does it mean? I don't really know, but as a friendly person myself, it helped me feel more at home here when out and about.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have noticed the same thing. People don't think of me as an immigrant because "after all, it's Canada" and are quite surprised when I tell them about the immigration process 'even for Canadians". I really like your comment "o, so you don't have a problem with immigrants, you are really just a racist" because it sure does seem to be like that. For a lot of people, if you look like them and sound like them, you're ok - but if you are different then you are probably an illegal immigrant. Geeze!

The one observation I have noticed - which isn't really to do with immigration, per se - is that when I moved down here a lot of whites (not all) who I encountered out and about (shopping malls, stores, etc.) were rather aloof and stand-offish and tended to be somewhat rude (no apologies if they pushed past you or stuff like that). Most Blacks, however, were really friendly, started conversations while standing in line, offered compliments or said 'have a great day' or stuff like that when passing in the parking lot and generally made me feel very welcome. Friends who came down from Michigan noticed exactly the same thing. What does it mean? I don't really know, but as a friendly person myself, it helped me feel more at home here when out and about.

LOL you think they are rude there!! Try shopping in NYC sometime. I was stabbed in the ribs by an old lady with an umbrella once so she could get in front of me

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is a good topic.

I wondered about this because my husband is Arab. All of my friends think he looks more American than I do.

I think because of where we are (California) in a very small and non diverse college town that when people find out that my husband is from Morocco they say "oh that's sooo cool".

He was shy about it when he first got here in terms of being embarassed to pay at the grocery store because he was worried people couldn't understand him but now whenever he talks people ask him where he's from.

Much better than I expected although none of my friends or family have ever shown any signs of discrimination so I guess it's what I expected. They respect that he is working and trying to make a good life for us.

Sarah

This is a good topic.

I wondered about this because my husband is Arab. All of my friends think he looks more American than I do.

I think because of where we are (California) in a very small and non diverse college town that when people find out that my husband is from Morocco they say "oh that's sooo cool".

He was shy about it when he first got here in terms of being embarassed to pay at the grocery store because he was worried people couldn't understand him but now whenever he talks people ask him where he's from.

Much better than I expected although none of my friends or family have ever shown any signs of discrimination so I guess it's what I expected. They respect that he is working and trying to make a good life for us.

Sarah

Your husband seriously looks of Greek or Italian decent..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

JMHO, but from what I can see, it's a lot easier if you're a white immigrant.

yeah.. i agree

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

I get the same thing. When I first moved here, a few different neighbours came to say hello, and all of them, every single one, went on and on about how happy they were that "no stinkin' Mexicans bought the house" and continued to curse at "all the immigrants". I reminded them that I am also an immigrant, and they replied "oh, but you don't count, you're from Canada" Gee....thanks :wacko: The bigotry and racism in this town makes me physically sick at times. Neighbours will even over-price their homes when they're trying to sell because they think it'll keep the immigrants away. The house across the street was for sale for over 2 years! They finally broke down and sold it to a black family, because well...they're not as bad as Mexicans. :P:blink:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!