Jhalil&Mandy

Question about living conditions that are required.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi, first I'd like to thank you for this website I've been reading it for information and it's going to be an incredibly good resource for when my fiancee and I start the paper works.

Short back story:

My fiancee and I met online about 7 years ago, we have been together for 6 years since and I have visited many times and she has visited me (In fact I have just returned back to Holland after another sad goodbye less than 48 hours ago sad.png). We have everything from pictures together to vacations booked to videos of us at events together and plane ticket stubs. I propposed to her on Christmas day of 2009. And it's been a long and patient wait since. We have decided that we both want to have our schooling done to an extent. I got a degree in Holland in IT (I do plan on going to College in the U.S but that's a different story) and she's almost done with her BA. She has a job in the field she's studying for already and we have made a tremendous amount of progres in the past 6 years.

Now we feel that it is way overdue to start the process however there's something that's sort of in the way..

You see, my fiancee and I are in a position to start the paperworks but there's one thing that we are uncertain of.
Both my Fiancee and I are both relatively young (23 and 22) but she has a steady job and her income (She's the one living in the U.S) is above the 125% required for the poverty line. However, she is living in a house with her mother. Her mother is not responsible for her and does not receive any fiancial benefits from her residing there.
Our question that we could not find an answer to is, how will this affect our situation?

Is she required to have her own place? Will her mother (and also her younger half-brother that lives with his mother) be included in the poverty guideline? What I mean with that is will she have to be making the 125% for a total of 4 people instead of 2?

We are ready to start the paperwork, we WANT to start the paperwork but we want to have it down to the final details of exactly what we need to do and what the circumstances need to be. I would be incredibly grateful if I could find an answer to my question.

Thank you in advance!

February 15th - sent package to Dallas. Took a long time to get to Dallas because of weather conditions and delays.

March 3rd - NOA1.

March 5th - Received alien registration number.

August 21st- NOA2.
September 8th - NVC received package and assigned case #
September 11th - Embassy received package.
September 16th - Received Packet 3.
September 17th - Sent packet 3 back.
September 23rd - Received packet 4.
October 14th - Medical.
October 21st - Interview. - Interview approved, visa granted!

November 1st - Moving to the U.S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

as long as you have met in the last 2 yrs, and her income is over the 125 % for the people she is responsible for.it doent matter if she lives in parents house . it would be 2, congratulation and have a quick journey. if i am wrong, i hope some corrects me

Timeline

Thank you for a fast answer! I believe you are right but since this is really the final step for us, is there anyone that can confirm vbtbmrt's answer?

Thanks again for the quick responce! :D

February 15th - sent package to Dallas. Took a long time to get to Dallas because of weather conditions and delays.

March 3rd - NOA1.

August 21st- NOA2.
October 14th - Medical.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

as long as you have met in the last 2 yrs, and her income is over the 125 % for the people she is responsible for.it doent matter if she lives in parents house . it would be 2, congratulation and have a quick journey. if i am wrong, i hope some corrects me

This is correct.

Yes, that's right. Since her mother has no responsibilites towards her (and you) living there, you will be considered a household of 2.

If she has at least 125% income for a 2-person household there's no problem whatsoever.

event.png

Timeline

Thank you all so much for the answers! We will be filing the paper work soon once we read everything over 20-30 times :D

March 3rd - NOA1.

August 21st- NOA2.
October 14th - Medical.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Household size is not determined by who lives with who. Your fiancee does not claim them on her taxes, so they are not her dependents. For dependents on the I-134 #8, she should put None. See the example form > http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.