Salamat_sa_Diyos

Got in through Detroit! Had a small bump to overcome...

37 posts in this topic

I am so sorry to hear that.....but Congrats you made it to America!

Let me share my experience with you..... This past May I came home from spending a month in Tunisia with my fiance. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, so my POE was Detroit, then final destination Grand Rapids. When I arrived at Detroit airport and had gone through customs, I was asked to follow the blue line. Two immigration officers stopped me and grilled me for about 15-20 minutes. I was asked over and over the reason of my visit to Tunisia, I repeatedly told them I had gone there to vacation with my fiance. I was asked for my fiance's full name, date of birth and nationality. They emptied both my of my luggage's, searched in my purse, wallet, opened my laptop, etc. One of the officers took my passport ( I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN), the officer made a phone call while looking at my passport. The younger officer questioned me about my relationship with my fiance and asked me if he had paid me to marry him so he could enter the US. Then he asked if I had paid him to marry him and how much? I answered very calmly, he proceeded to ask more personal questions like " do you know what color underwear does your fiance wears?" I felt violated and humiliated, so I reacted and asked him the reason for all the personal questions. He simply said " I am an immigration officer and can ask whatever I want", so he continued to ask questions like, where and how did you meet your fiance, why are you engaged to a foreign man from Algeria, again.. why out of all the countries in the world I chose to got to Tunisia? I became very upset and told him I have had enough, I have done nothing and I feel like I am being miss-treated , I am no TERRORIST, I hold an American passport and I want to go home, I am an American citizen. At that point another officer showed up and said don't worry Ma'am, everything is okay, the officers are just doing their job. You are okay to go now...The one officer approached me and handed back my passport and said you can put your stuff back in your luggage... I said " Thanks'!

This is how I was welcome back home by my own people.... Sad but true.

My fiance is coming home the first week of October and I will NOT have him fly to Detroit, instead I will have him come to Chicago O'Hare. What a horrific experience! I can't imagine how our loved ones will feel if treated the way I was treated by officers like these ones.

File a complaint! I regret not doing it. Never got the name of these two officers.

Welcome to America!

Don't take my word for it but I'm sure I read somewhere USC do not have to answer questions to immigration. They can ask and hold you as long as needed to make any checks and searches though....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

So is there some new time span on visa entries? I have always read and been told that you have 6 months to enter the USA after a visa is issued and 3 months from the entry point to marry.... or maybe it's 6 months from the time you get the visa until you get married. Either way, it's NOT 30-60 days like these posts are saying. Has anyone heard of any updated time table?

So sorry you experienced this.

yes 6 months to enter, or until your medical expires, unless you want to do a new medical. My husband had his medical in June of 2012, interview in July, AP until visa was approved October 1. He was told he had until December to enter unless he wanted to repeat the medical.

CBP rarely hires people for their intelligence.

There are idiot doctors, idiot lawyers, idiot politicians, idiot law enforcement officers, and surprise surprise, idiot CBP officers. Doesn't mean that they are all idiots. Don't generalize. These people keep our borders safe. Do you keep our borders safe?

OP, it sucks that you were treated like that. But you know what, when I travel abroad, I keep my pride down and answer questions respectfully to the immigration officer. Keep doing what you did in the future.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Awww, that's got to be scary.

I suggest complain about it. They obviously didn't know anything. :( poor new immigrants who will come after you!

Edited by ivyanddan

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I arrived on Friday the 13th at the Detroit International Airport. Let me tell you the little bump I had to overcome.

So, I was at the immigration counter and the officer looks at my paper. Asks me a few questions. Looks at the paper and then calls on his walkie talkie: Supervisor needed for K1 at counter 38.

Supervisor: Do you know that he can send you back to the Philippines right now? You were supposed to be here in August.

Me: calm blank look while praying...

Supervisor: Where were you?

Me: I was in Singapore, working.

Supervisor: You were supposed to be here in August.

Me: Well, look. (Pointing to my passport) My visa was issued in July and I have until next week to be here.

Supervisor: No, look (pointing to the I-129F). This (Feb approval stamp) means you can get married. This one (passport) says you gotta get here. Now, you have to get married within 3 months or else you have to go home.

Me: Yes, I'm getting married on the 4th of Oct. Thank you.

Lesson learned: Be calm. Explain your side. And I really don't think that the approved I-129F means your K1 visa is approved.

Sound like they hired that CBP supervisor from "Idiots R Us" ... what a maroon! The validity date for the visa is printed right on it, you can entry any time before that date... jeez!!

OK, I ranted for you... :lol: Glad you were calm, cool and collected. :thumbs:

Welcome to America!

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I'm sorry you had that experience but at least you made it past without them retaining you unneccesarily. I've learned that the trick is to stay calm and keep stating your case with confidence. Those Detroit officers sound intense. They sound like the CBP here in Nassau. They give me a hard time every time I travel. I am convinced that "jerk" and "mean" are part of their job description. Congrats and good luck! I can't wait until I'm at the point where you are!

I'm the Beneficiarydancin5hr.gif

Sept 7th, 2013 = K1 Visa Application Submitted

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Sept 27th 2013= Received NOA1 hard copy

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

March 15th 2014 = ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER CHANGED! FINALLY! dancin5hr.gif

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

June 10th 2014 = PETITION APPROVED!!! Hallelujah! :dance:

August 8th 2014 = Medical. Results: Passed

September 23rd 2014= INTERVIEW: APPROVED! so happy!!!!!!!

September 25-28th 2014 = System Error prevents VISA from being issued. :cry:

September 29th 2014= VISA in hand :dancing:

September30th 2014= Entered the USA :thumbs:
December 22nd 2014=MARRIED :)

March 18th 2015 = Filed AOS

April 3rd 2015 = Received NOA1 hard copies

June 20th 2015 = Received EAD/AP card in mail :)

July 28th 2015 = Received Notice of Potential Interview waiver :mellow:

Feb 29th 2016= FINALLY! RECEIVED MY GREENCARD! :dancing:

January 26th, 2018: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions 

Feb 2nd 2018: Received NOA1

Welcome to US!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.