cleverest

K1 visa- arrived, in OH can we get her a SSN AFTER marriage license/wedding?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm hoping someone will can answer a question:, basically we want to get her SSN card/number AFTER the wedding if at all possible/allowed.

1.) In the STATE of OH, to get a marriage license IS A SSN required for her BEFORE the marriage license or will OH issue a marriage license without one for her? (we want to marry in 15 days, on the 21st) and she has been here for 10 days as of today....she arrived on a K1 Visa) we'd prefer to get it afterwards so we don't have to deal with a name change, plus the office is over 1 hour away, we'd rather do it later if possible! Our wedding is on Sept 21st; too much to do before that and would rather put this off (for now) IF POSSIBLE.

I've had a heck of time calling courts to try to get this info and just wondering if anyone here would be familiar with either the OH state law rule on this, or any federal ruling that takes precedence.

Thank you!

- Brett and Marichu

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am not from Ohio but live next door, in PA, and I have through the course researching of marriage options looked into Ohio (since there is no wait time). I do not believe it is mandatory to have a social security number, your fiancee would just need to have her passport/visa. At least, this is what I have found for Lucas Co. Although, they also want written proof that a couple has completed marriage counseling, not sure if this is the case for all of Ohio though. Best of luck to you both and Congratulations! :D

K1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center (transferred to Texas Service Center)

Consulate : Mumbai, India

I-129F Sent : 2013-01-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-01-29

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) : na

I-129F transferred to TSC: 2013-06-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-07-09

NVC Received : 2013-07-24

NVC Left : 2013-08-05

Consulate Received : 2013-08-19

Packet 3 Received : none

Packet 3 Sent : none

Packet 4 Received : none

Interview Date : 2013-09-23 APPROVED!!! dancin5hr.gif

Visa Received: 2013-10-01

AOS

Filed - 03/08/2014
NOA1 Email -
03/10/2014

Biometrics Appointment - 04/04/2014

Potential Interview Waiver Letter - 06/27/2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I do not believe an SSN is mandatory for anyone that does not already have an SSN in any state. People come get married in the US all the time without having an SSN. Go to the county court and apply for the license. Take her passport which also has her K-1 visa in it with you. I am fairly certain they will let you get it with just that. This page has the contact info for county clerks listed by county. Click your county to find info > http://www.occaohio.com/counties

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Moving Here and My New Life in America- topic not K-1 process related ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm hoping someone will can answer a question:, basically we want to get her SSN card/number AFTER the wedding if at all possible/allowed.

1.) In the STATE of OH, to get a marriage license IS A SSN required for her BEFORE the marriage license or will OH issue a marriage license without one for her? (we want to marry in 15 days, on the 21st) and she has been here for 10 days as of today....she arrived on a K1 Visa) we'd prefer to get it afterwards so we don't have to deal with a name change, plus the office is over 1 hour away, we'd rather do it later if possible! Our wedding is on Sept 21st; too much to do before that and would rather put this off (for now) IF POSSIBLE.

I've had a heck of time calling courts to try to get this info and just wondering if anyone here would be familiar with either the OH state law rule on this, or any federal ruling that takes precedence.

Thank you!

- Brett and Marichu

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3101.05

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It was a "point" in the direction.

It seems Ohio asks for the SSN for the license application.

http://www.franklincountyohio.gov/probate/departments/marriage.cfm#How_do_we_apply

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will find that most, if not all states will say you need your SSN. However, that is a requirement for those that already have an SSN. The majority of people that marry here are US citizens and the requirements listed for getting a license are geared towards the assumption that you are a USC. Let them know you are not a USC or legal resident here on a non-immigrant visa and have no SSN. They will use something else in place of the SSN, usually the passport number. You just need to contact them, or go in person and let them know. You both have to go in person to apply anyway.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 9 years later...
  • Chancy locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.