Carie_Azan

getting a SS# or ITIN

20 posts in this topic

So, I have had the worst time trying to get my new husband a SS#, or ITIN finally gave that up after going to 4 different offices and being turned away because he is "not eligible" our problem is we cannot add him to the bank account with out this SS or ITIN number. the only issue with getting the ITIN, is he is not at all comfortable with sending his Passport and birth cert away.

Can someone tell me if they will automatically send us a SS Card/Number when we apply for AOS, or how that works.

thanks a million!

C

When you get your advance parole/Employment Authorisation Card you can then apply for an SSN. I managed to get a bank account with TD bank without having an SSN they had a different form that I had to fill in but I can't remember what it was called, I had really only gone in to find out how to open one when i got my SSN, but i walked out with a working debit card.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to SSN Sub Forum~

~Inquirer and topic is past K-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

When you get your advance parole/Employment Authorisation Card you can then apply for an SSN. I managed to get a bank account with TD bank without having an SSN they had a different form that I had to fill in but I can't remember what it was called, I had really only gone in to find out how to open one when i got my SSN, but i walked out with a working debit card.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

So, I have had the worst time trying to get my new husband a SS#, or ITIN finally gave that up after going to 4 different offices and being turned away because he is "not eligible" our problem is we cannot add him to the bank account with out this SS or ITIN number. the only issue with getting the ITIN, is he is not at all comfortable with sending his Passport and birth cert away.

Can someone tell me if they will automatically send us a SS Card/Number when we apply for AOS, or how that works.

thanks a million!

C

It takes about 10 business days AFTER entry (POE) for the information to show up in the computer at SSA. According to your timeline it is just now approaching 10 days.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

It takes about 10 business days AFTER entry (POE) for the information to show up in the computer at SSA. According to your timeline it is just now approaching 10 days.

They clearly said he will not be eligable until his AOS is complete.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

wait wait.

the POE date was 2013-08-23

I say go again on 9 September, give over a SS-5 application, and ask the clerk to perform a SAVE database lookup.

IMO, it's too early, when you went in to apply, all of the clerks could not find him in the SAVE database system.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

They clearly said he will not be eligable until his AOS is complete.

Hi ! They are clearly full of #######.

But don't let that bother you , too much. Just know that SSA clerks are some of more poorly trained government workers in the USA.

When you go in again, ask for a supervisor, and follow stuff at post #1 over at

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

thanks a million!

C

There are two things you need to take from this experience. 1) SSA employees are very poorly trained, and 2) bank employees are also porrly trained. What is someone from outside the US to do should they want to open a bank account? They clearly do not have a SSN. Does the bank only offer accounts to USC or LPR? You would not believe the amount of wrong information I received from my bank and different employees when dealing with my Mother's estate. Evgeryone thinks you have to go thru probate and need documentation from the courts which is a load of BS.

Typically, it is recommended that you wait about 2 weeks after POE so your information can be entered into the SAVE database. You complete the SS-5 form, get the I-94 from from the on-line system, take your passport with the K-1 visa and take a second form of proof of age or ID (i.e. birth certificate) and go to the SSA office and ask for a SSN. As a K-1 visa holder you are allowed to apply for a SSN while the I-94 is valid (they will not procees the SSN within 2 weeks of the I-94 expiring). If the employee gives you a rash of sh!t about not being eligible, ask for a supervisor. If the suypervisor gives you the same song and dance, ask for his/her supervisor or have them call the main SSA office to verify that the information they are telling you is correct. If you still have problems note all the names of the people you spoke to, the date, time and write the main SSA office a nice e-mail describing your situation. You should get an e-mail relpy you can take back to your locat office to educate the employees.

Good luck and do not take "NO" for an answer,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

There are two things you need to take from this experience. 1) SSA employees are very poorly trained, and 2) bank employees are also porrly trained. What is someone from outside the US to do should they want to open a bank account? They clearly do not have a SSN. Does the bank only offer accounts to USC or LPR? You would not believe the amount of wrong information I received from my bank and different employees when dealing with my Mother's estate. Evgeryone thinks you have to go thru probate and need documentation from the courts which is a load of BS.

Typically, it is recommended that you wait about 2 weeks after POE so your information can be entered into the SAVE database. You complete the SS-5 form, get the I-94 from from the on-line system, take your passport with the K-1 visa and take a second form of proof of age or ID (i.e. birth certificate) and go to the SSA office and ask for a SSN. As a K-1 visa holder you are allowed to apply for a SSN while the I-94 is valid (they will not procees the SSN within 2 weeks of the I-94 expiring). If the employee gives you a rash of sh!t about not being eligible, ask for a supervisor. If the suypervisor gives you the same song and dance, ask for his/her supervisor or have them call the main SSA office to verify that the information they are telling you is correct. If you still have problems note all the names of the people you spoke to, the date, time and write the main SSA office a nice e-mail describing your situation. You should get an e-mail relpy you can take back to your locat office to educate the employees.

Good luck and do not take "NO" for an answer,

Dave

I am sorry...What is the I-94? lol, dont judge me :)

I am sorry...What is the I-94? lol, dont judge me smile.png

The I-94 was a paper stamped with your visa catagory and had an expiration date which indicated your authorized period of stay within the US. This year they went to an electronic version of the I-94. This form is completed for all non-immigrant--which the K-1 visa is classified as. It is also known as the Arrival/Departure form. You will need a copy of when you file for AOS (adjustment of status) so you need to go here and print out a copy or two for your records. The SSA will need to see this if you are applying as a K-1 visa holder. If you wait too long, you will need the EAD (Employment Authorization Document) or the GC (Green Card) in order to apply for the SSC.

Dave

The I-94 was a paper stamped with your visa catagory and had an expiration date which indicated your authorized period of stay within the US. This year they went to an electronic version of the I-94. This form is completed for all non-immigrant--which the K-1 visa is classified as. It is also known as the Arrival/Departure form. You will need a copy of when you file for AOS (adjustment of status) so you need to go here and print out a copy or two for your records. The SSA will need to see this if you are applying as a K-1 visa holder. If you wait too long, you will need the EAD (Employment Authorization Document) or the GC (Green Card) in order to apply for the SSC.

Dave

Thank you!! Got it printed and a few copies made...will go NEXT friday to battle with these morons again. BTW, was this something he should have received at POE? just curious, regardless, I have it printed.

Sad thing is, I talked to 2 supers - ONE being the BRANCH MANAGER!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I don't know why you would want an ITIN at this point but I do want to point out that if you did there is no need to send your original documents (passport) to the IRS in the mail. You can take them to a local IRS taxpayer assistance service center where they will verify the documents on the spot and return them to you. There are 3 such offices in Maryland: Baltimore, Landover, and Wheaton. Of course at the same time you would file your W-7, which is the application for the ITIN, and your tax return. So if your 2012 tax return is already filed correctly, then generally you can not apply for the ITIN until you are ready to file your next tax return, which would be next year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.