buttermaker

EXPERIENCE Renouncing Ukrainian Citizenship

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Does anyone have actual experience renouncing Ukrainian citizenship after becoming a U.S. citizen? I have read many threads about the topic but no one has stated they have actually gone through this process.

- Who did you contact?

- What forms and documents are required to complete the process?

- How much does it cost (if anything)?

- Did a legal firm in the U.S. or in Ukraine to help you with this?

- How long does it take?

- Did you complete the process before or after becoming a U.S. citizen?

- Were you able to complete the process within the U.S.?

- Have you traveled to Ukraine since?

Thank you!

It seems people are more concerned with their own views on this matter, than answering your question.

Drawing a parallel on how one would go about renouncing US citizenship abroad, I would bet that you should start by contacting the Ukrainian embassy in DC and asking for their guidance as to forms, costs and where you would need to send in your paperwork. I am sure they deal with such requests on a daily basis.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It seems people are more concerned with their own views on this matter, than answering your question.

Drawing a parallel on how one would go about renouncing US citizenship abroad, I would bet that you should start by contacting the Ukrainian embassy in DC and asking for their guidance as to forms, costs and where you would need to send in your paperwork. I am sure they deal with such requests on a daily basis.

Good luck!

You are wrong and probably should leave Ukrainian specific answers to people with experience in Ukraine. In any case you did nothing but guess. For the same reason I do not come and give specific advice in the specific forum of the country where your wife is from. I am ignorant of that information. If you see me posting advice about MENA countries in the MENA forum, remind of that, OK?

The OP is asking a question that many with Ukrainian spouses have asked. If one is unable to understand the law of Ukraine regarding dual citizemship then one is normal. Because it is anything but clear. Ukraine is a not a country of laws as is the USA. The drinking age is 21. rofl.gif Any kiosk will sell alcohol to children. Children. Like 12 year olds. If the police do anything about them drinking alcohol in public it will be to shake them down for a bribe. THAT's Ukraine.

The OP asked a question often asked because he is unaware that it is not necessary to turn in one's Ukrainian passport and that any imagined fines or penalties are that...imagined. Will she ever be shaken down for a bribe? Who isn't? You can avoid the entire hassel by paying $40 at the POE for "VIP service" and no one ever checks or asks anything. You will be solicited for this while in line to go through customs. I never have but I have never had a problem either. It does eliminate waiting in line.

The answers the OP has received, except yours, are based on knowledge and experience of members with spouses from Ukraine, Naturalized citizens of the USA from Ukraine. In other words...knowledgeable people.

Retaining Ukrainian citizenship has some advantages, for instance visa free travel to Russia and other FSU countries. It would also allow a Ukrainian citizen to resume a life in Ukraine without hassel or surrendering US citizenship in the future, if they so chose in the event of a divorce or death of the US spouse. It is something to keep...not throw away.

The issue has been discussed ad infinitum here and there are many archives the OP can review. In the end the consensus has been "Keep the Ukraine passport and shut your mouth"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You go to the Embassy of Ukraine in Washinton DC and you renounce your citizenship to the Consul General. You simply say or write in Ukrainian "I renounce my Ukrainian Citizenship". It is no different than a US Citizen Renouncing abroad.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

while it's all well and wonderful that some members feel it's not important for the op to renounce ukranian citizenship and have made that information quite available in this thread, it's not answering the op's question.
going forward, if you don't know the answer to the op's question, please refrain from posting as i'm sure the op has a valid reason for asking the question.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

while it's all well and wonderful that some members feel it's not important for the op to renounce ukranian citizenship and have made that information quite available in this thread, it's not answering the op's question.

going forward, if you don't know the answer to the op's question, please refrain from posting as i'm sure the op has a valid reason for asking the question.

Answers also come from indirectness of the question, the ones that you might not have thought of until someone said something. So yes we should answer his direct question without a doubt, but we should also give more food for thought. As Gary said there are very legitimate and good reasons for keeping the citizenship that maybe the OP hadn't though of. Maybe he has though, it's his choice to pick and choose what he accepts or doesn't accept. By not trying to hit all the bases we do a disservice to people we try to help.

As to not derail the OPs topic too much I would say you have your own reasons for wanting to look into this and if you want an exact answer to your question I would contact the Embassy. Here is the link to their contacts page: http://usa.mfa.gov.ua/en/embassy/contacts I'm sure they can inform you exactly how to do it.

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** One post removed for TOS violations and acceptable parts of post returned below. This is the last mod warning to ANYONE in this thread- thread bans and further admin action will follow ****

In fact I did not guess, so much as I used logic applied to the constraints.

The poster resides in the US. Logic would follow he would need to contact the appropriate diplomatic representation of that country in the US in order to renounce his citizenship.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I believe that, technically, you are supposed to lose Ukrainian citizenship when you voluntarily acquire a foreign citizenship as an adult (Law on Citizenship of Ukraine Article 19, part 1), although it appears that it is widely not enforced and/or people believe that the law is unclear (http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/dual-identities-45040.html).

However, even assuming that it is enforced, it would just mean that you automatically lose it by action of law. You would still not have to "renounce" it. Many countries do enforce such a rule and this is exactly what they do. Once you automatically lose the citizenship, you are simply supposed to not use the passport, and not claim to be a citizen. You don't need to inform their government of anything, until the next time you want to go to that country, and then you go to their consulate and appy for a visa (at which point they might require you to bring your former passport of that country).

Edited by newacct

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My passport also says I was born in Ukraine (not even in UkSSR, just plain Ukraine). I went back and forth 3 times within the past year, staying there about a week each time. Nobody ever asked me anything (entered in Kiev and in Dnepropetrovsk). I'm going back in a week for my fiancee's interview and I'm not worried in the least.

Just came in to Ukraine again with my US passport. When the officer saw my previous 3 pairs of entry/exit stamps within the year, he did a double take. This is the first time I have ever seen a Ukraine immigration officer show any emotion at all. He then shrugged, put another stamp in and told me have a nice day. This is also the first time I have ever heard a Ukraine immigration officer speak.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just came in to Ukraine again with my US passport. When the officer saw my previous 3 pairs of entry/exit stamps within the year, he did a double take. This is the first time I have ever seen a Ukraine immigration officer show any emotion at all. He then shrugged, put another stamp in and told me have a nice day. This is also the first time I have ever heard a Ukraine immigration officer speak.

rofl.gif

Edited by Tanya and Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.