Ms. Curious

Returning Resident Visa Denied, Have to Re-Apply for IR-1 Visa

18 posts in this topic

Any advice, suggestions, comments are appreciated for our situation.

My wife and I left the US for a short visit to Singapore. We expected to return in 3 months. However, we found out that my wife was pregnant during our time abroad. We had been trying to have children for a while so we were overjoyed with the good news. We extended our itinerary to 6 months. However, after many doctors informing us that my wife should not travel, we decided to have the baby in Singapore.

My wife has had a green card for over 10 years. Due to the pregnancy and delivery, her time outside of the US lapsed for more than a year. The main reasons were:

- doctor's advice to avoid long distance travel

- daughter's US passport and registration of birth abroad was only approved after the 1 year deadline for my wife to return

- wife needing time to recover after an emergency C-section surgery

- baby had severe jaundice

We applied for the returning resident visa SB-1. We provided 2 doctor's letters, many emails from our landlord showing our monthly utility bills, many emails from family and friends back in the US waiting for us, car insurance bills, car loan bills, etc.

Even though, we showed proof that it was beyond our circumstances, social & economic ties and medical letters, our application was still denied.

So now we have to re-apply for my wife's IR-1 visa and this could take a long time (from what I am reading here on VJ).

Our concerns:

- our whole life is back in the US. We never planned to be away for so long. Our furniture, our lease, our property are all pending.

- vaccinations, possible side effects for our daughter who is still nursing (100%)

- difficulty in finding a job while overseas

Questions:

1. Is it beneficial to ask our congress representative to intervene and reverse the SB-1 application decision?

2. The US embassy in Singapore does not offer DCF. Any other way to expedite?

3. Do I need a US - based job?

4. Can I work for a foreign employer to show means of support?

5. Can I work for a US company but based overseas?

Timeline:

• March 2012 - Flight to Singapore for 3 months (planned)
  • May 2012 - Discovered we are expecting first child
  • June 2012 - Extended return date to September 2012
  • August 2012 - Doctors advised us to avoid long distance travel
  • February 7, 2013 - Baby's arrival
  • February 26, 2013 - Applied for US passport & registration of birth abroad
  • March 9, 2013 - 1 year lapse of stay out of US
  • April 1, 2013 - Final doctor's visit for baby's jaundice blood test & observation
  • April 26, 2013 - Application for SB-1 visa
  • June 6, 2013 - Letter received from US embassy denying SB-1 application

We feel so lost and stranded.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1. No

2. No, but by preparing all your documents and things ahead of time you can make it go as fast as possible; it should take less than a year.

3. No- you can get a co-sponsor or file base don assets.

4. Only if that job will continue in the USA once you move back, ie you will get an intra-company transfer.

5. Yes, if they transfer you back when you move back to the USA, ie intra-company transfer

In terms of your baby and the concern about vaccine: is your child not a US citizen? If you are, there is a very strong chance the baby is too, and so is entitled to a US passport- no visa needed, no vaccinations needed.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hello Penguin,

Thank you for your answers.

Sorry we didn't clarify about the vaccination, what we were concerned about is the vaccinations for my wife and how that can affect our nursing baby. Can we get a waiver for my wife's vaccinations based on our baby's needs?

Hello Penguin,

Thank you for your answers.

Sorry we didn't clarify about the vaccination, what we were concerned about is the vaccinations for my wife and how that can affect our nursing baby. Can we get a waiver for my wife's vaccinations based on our baby's needs?

No. They won't give vaccines that would harm the baby. If your wife was a GC holder before she should be good on vaccines anyway.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

No. They won't give vaccines that would harm the baby. If your wife was a GC holder before she should be good on vaccines anyway.

Hello Harpa, that's great news. My wife first got her GC in 2000 but we don't have records of her previous vaccinations.

They can do blood tests to find out what her immunity is. She likely would have had some already because of the pregnancy (such as rubella.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1. No

2. No, but by preparing all your documents and things ahead of time you can make it go as fast as possible; it should take less than a year.

3. No- you can get a co-sponsor or file base don assets.

4. Only if that job will continue in the USA once you move back, ie you will get an intra-company transfer.

5. Yes, if they transfer you back when you move back to the USA, ie intra-company transfer

In terms of your baby and the concern about vaccine: is your child not a US citizen? If you are, there is a very strong chance the baby is too, and so is entitled to a US passport- no visa needed, no vaccinations needed.

Hello Penguin,

If I am a self-employed business owner, can I show that I am collecting consulting fees as part of my income?

Also, can I ask a friend in the US to mail our 1-130 application packet from the US on our behalf?

The US Embassy website in Singapore says we should mail our application to the Chicago lockbox.

However, form I-130 states that if we reside in California, we should mail our packet to Phoenix.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Timeline

If you are self employed, they will go by line 22 on your tax return.

Sure, a US friend can mail- remember some items will require original signatures from you though.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

If you are self employed, they will go by line 22 on your tax return.

Sure, a US friend can mail- remember some items will require original signatures from you though.

Thanks for the prompt response.

My 2012 tax returns were filed as self-employed.

However, my status is different now.

On the I-864 form, I have state my current employment status, correct?

Timeline

yes, current status, as it is current and ongoing income that counts.

mod penguin.jpg

For the initial I-130 petition it requires the entire passport to be photocopied for the USC petitioner. Or you can use anything else like a birth certificate or naturalization certificate to show the USC is a USC.

The NVC requires only the bio data page of the beneficiary's passport with the IV package.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

For the initial I-130 petition it requires the entire passport to be photocopied for the USC petitioner. Or you can use anything else like a birth certificate or naturalization certificate to show the USC is a USC.

The NVC requires only the bio data page of the beneficiary's passport with the IV package.

yikes.. I guess they blew by that requirement.. I only copied my bio data page and the two stamps from my trips to Fiji .. whew

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.