Xavier_1989

Green Card Marriage, few questions for you!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Frist of all I would like to introduce myself on the forum, my name is Andrea aka Xavier_1989 and i'm Italian, moved in Texas for study reasons with a M-1 visa and just married with a beautiful texan girl 3 weeks ago.

Now, after the honeymoon I started working on the all papers for the GC (I don't really want to pay an attoney!).

And now I have some questions for you about some of the forms, I belive the most of them are filed right, but I don't want to slow down the process just because of burocratic errors!

->Let's get started with the I-485 AOS:

Kind of confused on the part 2: the choice of the application type. Anyone can give me any suggestion on which one is the best one about my case?

Second, about the fees to pay: should I divide the fee relative to the form ($985) and the biometrics ($85) in two checks?

-> I-130 Petition for Alien (I don't feel so ALIEN!) Relative

In part 22 i have to state where I will apply for AOA... Any suggestion?

The closest USCIS office to me is DALLAS, but when I went there they told me to send the whole pakage of forms to Chicago.

So should I send everything togheter to Chicago and put it in line 22??

On the documents proving the condivision of economic resources I attached the bank account Application of the joint account I have with my wife. (is a paper where she is indicated still with the maiden name). Do you think is better to add the last statement for the account and maybe update the owner information with the married name?

-> Form I-765

Totally unsure on line 16. At the USCIS they told me to leave it blank, is that possible?? Or as it seems to me the category C-9 is the one for me?

-> Form I-864 Crazy affidavit.

My wife doesn't have enough income to sign as only petitioner, so her father offered to become a joint sponsor.

I belive is right for her to cross in part 1 that she is the petitioner and in her father's that he is the joint sponsor (right?)

She also has being working for just 2 years and she has just 2 year tax returns, do you think that will be a problem?

And again, for the use of assets, we need to prove our total for the bank accounts with a statement attached or it should be fine without?

And last one...can I send everything in the same pack in Chichago (please confirm that is Chicago and not somwere else) or do I have to separate forms and everything?

Thanks for the help in advance, I've been reading the instructions, but the appointment at USCIS and the answer I got kind of screwed up everything that I knew or learnt.

1. I-485 part 2 is A.

2. I-130 place is Chicago. Doesn't matter, that or the local office. It's an outdated question.

3. Her name, married or maiden, doesn't matter.

4. I-765, C9.

5. The wife must be primary sponsor, the father the joint sponsor. They each fill out I-864. If you qualify without assets then no need to put assets. Only put assets if you are using them to qualify.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You write one check for AOS. Total is $1,070. EAD and AP (I-765 and I-131) fees are waived when you file with AOS.

Plus $420 for the I-130.

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Nice...thank you for the answers...i think that explains quite a bit what I needed!

I still have few questions:

Does really matter if I filed the forms with a PC and every item is in CAPITAL letters? (reading on the internet i've seen that apparently matters)

Can you confirm me that everything goes in the same place and in the same package? (Chicago?)

Once again thanks for the help!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I filled the form on the computer... I didn't want to chance someone not being able to read my printing. I've also heard they use a scanner to scan the forms and information into the computer. I don't remember reading that it had to be filed out on a computer, though. If you have that capability I would do it. In terms of all capital letters? Nope I didn't do that and it was just fine.

Yes, everything goes to the same address. I-130 and I-485 packet must go in the same envelope! I separated each packet with a paperclip. I also had a cover letter on each packet outlining what the packet contained. I would recommend doing a cover letter if you can.

There are two Chicago Lockbox addresses, depending on whether you use USPS or a commercial courier for the delivery (like FedEx). Those address are found on page 5 of Form I-130 Instructions under Filing Form I-130 with Form I-485:

Edited by woods15

04/01/2013 (day 0) - AOS packet sent via FedEx (I-130, I-485, I-765)
04/02/2013 (day 1) - Delivered to USCIS Chicago
04/10/2013 (day 9) - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation email. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail!
04/15/2013 (day 14) - Received NOA in mail, Biometrics appointment for 5/7/2013.
04/17/2013 (day 16) - Attempted walk in for biometrics = denied

05/07/2013 (day 36) - Biometrics appointment completed in Baltimore, MD

05/15/2013 (day 44) - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview! No changes for EAD or I-131.

05/23/2013 (day 52) - NOA for interview date and time received in mail

05/25/2013 (day 54) - NOA that our interview has been cancelled. No updates for EAD.

06/05/2013 (day 65) - Online EAD update to " Card Production"

06/06/2013 (day 66) - Online update that interview has been re-scheduled for 7/10 smile.pngsmile.png

06/07/2013 (day 67) - NOA in mail for scheduled interview 7/10

06/11/2013 (day 71) - EAD card is in the mail! (online status update)

06/12/2013 (day 72) - EAD USPS tracking number (online update)

06/13/2013 (day 73) - EAD card in hand!!

06/14/2013 (day 74) - AR-11 filed online for change of address

06/19/2013 (day 79) - Change of address aknowledged in online case status

06/20/2013 (day 80) - SSN in hand

06/24/2013 (day 84) - NOA for change of address

06/26/2013 (day 86) - Interview --> cancelled by USCIS

06/29/2013 (day 89) - NOA, Interview cancelled AGAIN!

07/10/2013 (day 100) - Interview --> cancelled by USCIS

08/14/2013 (day135) - Letter for interview schedule 9/4/2013!!

09/04/2013 9 (day 155) - Interview! Approved on the spot!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

09/12/2013 (day 164) - Green card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.