Darnell

K-1s STUCK @ NVC for AP Part II

431 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Most K1's go into NVC, get assigned a case number, and go out the door, in a matter of a few days. They do NOT all get stuck in AP.

I have no reason to defend NVC, they held me up for nearly two months. I have posted in both of these threads, Part 1 and 2 since that time, to assist other people who find themselves in that predicament.

I am not attacking your post for no good reason, I am attempting to keep this thread on track. This thread is to keep track of present day wait times, when posters go in, and when they go out, and to try and answer questions and concerns they may have about THIS part of the process that SOME people are subject to. Not to have a moan about other aspects of the Visa Journey.

I do not find your responses very helpful.

My original questions and statements are valid, even if you disagree.

Additional checks taking as long as they take is completely useless information. I can get that kind of info from the NVC.

Why would I post on this thread if I hadn't been told I was in AP?

The CIS reference is to illustrate the opaqueness of this process and my frustration with it.

A little support here would be a lot more useful than trying to decide who is worthy of posting on it.

It looks like many people have been told they're in AP only to find that their case had already been sent off to their embassy from posts in this thread and its predecessor.

It's very difficult to believe anything the NVC tells you on the phone when they give out so much misinformation.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I called NVC this morning and got through (4 call attempts then a 28 minute wait, the lady on the phone said they are buried under snow). I got the case number and she told me it was in AP. From the case number, it appears they entered the case on February 5, so it is only 5 days later. The website status is that the case is "at NVC".

Is it possible to determine if the AP is just regular "we are still processing it" or the extra special, rubber glove AP?

Edited by Pianist27

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello, I spoke with NVC on 1/14/2015 (and was given case #) after receiving NOA2 on 12/17. We have been stuck at NVC since??(how do I know exactly when they received our case)? Does anyone have advice for trying to figure out where our case stands? I have spoken with them 4 times and each time they have said it was in AP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I thought I read in an earlier post that some had their cases sent to their particular embassy without being notified. If that happens, would the Embassy reach out to the Beneficiary automatically?

Timeline

Hello, I spoke with NVC on 1/14/2015 (and was given case #) after receiving NOA2 on 12/17. We have been stuck at NVC since??(how do I know exactly when they received our case)? Does anyone have advice for trying to figure out where our case stands? I have spoken with them 4 times and each time they have said it was in AP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I thought I read in an earlier post that some had their cases sent to their particular embassy without being notified. If that happens, would the Embassy reach out to the Beneficiary automatically?

The case number will tell you when they entered into their system. After the 3 letter code for the embassy, there is a 4 digit code for the year, then a 3 digit code for the Julian date (plus 500). Take those 3 digits, subtract 500, and then look here for the actual day: http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/julian-calendar.pdf

If you ask them on the phone, they will tell you what day they received the petition.

Timeline

The case number will tell you when they entered into their system. After the 3 letter code for the embassy, there is a 4 digit code for the year, then a 3 digit code for the Julian date (plus 500). Take those 3 digits, subtract 500, and then look here for the actual day: http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/julian-calendar.pdf

If you ask them on the phone, they will tell you what day they received the petition.

Pianist27,

Thank you so much for the info!!! So the fact they received my case on Jan. 13th and still haven't sent it on isn't too crazy in your opinion?

Kevin

It happens, AP. The best way to find out when it had been sent on is to call them. We were not notified once AP ended. The only way we found out was by asking.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

It happens, AP. The best way to find out when it had been sent on is to call them. We were not notified once AP ended. The only way we found out was by asking.

Once you get the case number, you can check the status online: https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=o/iS8zDpeAKjMWCuebHqOw==

Usual caveats about that being a government run website apply of course.

It's been a while, we did not have that ability. Good to see though!

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

cdneh,

I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! Our case looks like it was sent to Nairobi yesterday as the website says Ready and that we can schedule our interview now!!!! My kids and fiance prayed yesterday that this would be expedited!!! God answers prayers!!!

I called NVC this morning and got through (4 call attempts then a 28 minute wait, the lady on the phone said they are buried under snow). I got the case number and she told me it was in AP. From the case number, it appears they entered the case on February 5, so it is only 5 days later. The website status is that the case is "at NVC".

Is it possible to determine if the AP is just regular "we are still processing it" or the extra special, rubber glove AP?

That would certainly be helpful! !!

All the research I've done thus far only shows that 'time will tell...'

It sucks warty ### but not much we can do to change the system, at least in the short run.

On a more positive note, the NVC is backlogged due to historical foul weather. They are telling people they're in AP rather than that. I think it's because the processors don't communicate with the phone/email reps and they've been ordered to only say "in AP" as an agency CYA statement.

So keep watching CEAC and use some numbers before and after yours to see how things are moving. Mine was stuck in AP for about a week, it appeared. But I don't believe it. It was due to the weather. I don't think it was even touched during that time. Good luck.

Edited by mechai

Timeline

Using the formula for case numbers, after I input some random samples, I can find cases from earlier January which are "ready" meaning that they can go to the embassy. My initial search turned up nothing until I realized that K1s are rare. It's a pity that the visa type isn't apparent from the case number, or someone could harvest the website's data and get better numbers for the processing time page.

Edited by Pianist27

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

After a 42 minute wait on hold I spoke with someone, was able to get our Case #, Invoice ID # and Beneficiary ID #. Using the formula provided above our case was entered into the system on Monday, February 23, 2015. USCIS sent our petition on February 2, 2015, so a nice full 3 weeks. Hopefully soon our's will be on it's way to the Embassy in Algeirs. So close but still so far to go.

Melinda (Malak) & Hemza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.