Cztz

Warrants?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, this is my first post and I am in the beginning steps of assembling and petitioning for a K-1 Visa for my fiance.

My fiance is a Canadian citizen and she has a warrant for her arrest. As far as I know it was issued when she failed to appear for a follow up hearing. From what she has told me, she was arrested when she was 15 for trespassing and possession of break-in tools. She showed up for her initial hearing but failed to show up to the next scheduled one so a warrant was issued. I wanted to find out if this will effect our chances of getting a visa and how to proceed from here. She contacted a legal aid service in Canada and they advised her to turn herself in in order to take care of the warrants.

Would something she did when she was 15 effect our chances of being approved for a visa? How would you guys reccomend we proceed from here? Does anyone else have any similar experiences? I did my best to search for a similar topic but I was unable to find a case quite like ours.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She will probably not be allowed into the US with outstanding warrents. She does need to get this taken care of first. Especially before you marry. What happens if there is more to it and she got a long prison term? Things might turn out that she only pay a fine, who knows?

Timeline

We plan on taking care of the warrants but my question was would the original charges prevent her from being eligible for a K-1 visa? The original charges are from 7 years ago and she was 15 years old when she committed them. Alot has changed since then and would the system in place give her a second chance?

It depends on whether the crime is considered a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT) or not:

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartF-Chapter5.html#S-A-1

9 FAM 40.21(a) N7.1 Provisions of INA 212(a)(2)(A)(ii)
(CT:VISA-1318; 09-24-2009)
As amended, a conviction or admission of the commission of a crime of moral turpitude will not serve as the basis of ineligibility under INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i), if the following conditions have been met:
(1) The applicant has been convicted of or has admitted to the commission of only one crime;
(2) The maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted or for which the alien legally admitted to did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted and the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of six months; or
(3) The crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age and the crime was committed (and the alien was released from confinement if applicable) more than 5 years before the date of the visa application. (See 9 FAM 40.21(a) N8, below.)

http://www.state.gov...ation/86942.pdf

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Would be possible, if she receives the visa, that she will be detained when she enters. Depends if the warrants are active, were placed into NCIS (or whatever that computerized system is called), and if they check it when she is admitted. Just be prepared for this.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

In applying for a US Visa we should be aware of the limitations. Clearly they have problems with criminal issues. Not showing up for a scheduled court appearance seems to me to be a negation of your legal responsibilty. OK maybe I am old fashioned but ....one must deal with the ramifications of their actions. Its not like she said she didn't do anything.

Why try to make a hard route harder? Or impossible?

I have heard over and over about VJers and the things that happened many moons ago.. All comes to haunt us. It's sad really. I wish you guys the best and that that the time and also (being a minor) will play in your favour.

Apr 11/13...married in Las Vegas
Apr 18/13...filed 1-130
Apr 22/13...received notification Noa1

Nov 26/13...218 days transferred from NBC to CSC

Dec 30/13..Notification of approval NOA2

Jan 9/14....Received by NVC

Feb 10/14...Obtained Case#, IIN,BIN#'s

Feb 10/14...sent OPTIN email..received

Feb 15/14...Confirmation for DS261

Feb 20/14...AOS shows PAID

Feb 20/14...Received Document Cover sheet (bar coded)

Feb 28/14.. received OPTIN approval

Feb 28/14...emailed OAS package

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

Apr 14/14 Case Complete NVC

Apr 17/14 Received instructions for appt

Apr 21/14 Case sent electronically to Montreal.

May 30/14 appt in Montreal

May 30/14 APPROVED!!! YIPPEE

June 4/14 Passport with Visa in Hand! (quick eh)
Aug 20/14 POE Detroit Bridge

Aug 26/14 received SSN (card)

May 23/16 Filed 1-751 (California)

Nov 26/16 751 Approved 10 yr card on way.

N400

Dec 27/17   Mailed application

Dec 29/18   Priority Date

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Feb 9/19    N400 Interview in Las Vegas- Approved!!

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

Mar 8/19   I'm a citizen!!

Timeline

Just to clarify I didn't say we were going to try to circumvent the warrants or anything. In fact before we even begin the application process we're going to make sure she goes down to the police station and turns herself in with a friend who has cash to bail her out. This has been something that has been looming over her head for years and I agree that it should be taken care of. I was just curious if these warrants were going to be something that was going to end up keeping us apart. In my above post I was just asking if I had read the law right in that since she was under 18 her mistakes won't be held against her.

I did not mean to give you guys the impression that we were going to try to do something underhanded like have her try to just sneak on over with warrants. I'm sure everyone that has gone through this process knows how nerve wracking it can be going over all of the requirements and wondering "will this make us ineligible?"

Thank you all for the peace of mind and I wish everyone luck in their respective visa endeavours, this is truly a great website.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to clarify I didn't say we were going to try to circumvent the warrants or anything. In fact before we even begin the application process we're going to make sure she goes down to the police station and turns herself in with a friend who has cash to bail her out. This has been something that has been looming over her head for years and I agree that it should be taken care of. I was just curious if these warrants were going to be something that was going to end up keeping us apart. In my above post I was just asking if I had read the law right in that since she was under 18 her mistakes won't be held against her.

I did not mean to give you guys the impression that we were going to try to do something underhanded like have her try to just sneak on over with warrants. I'm sure everyone that has gone through this process knows how nerve wracking it can be going over all of the requirements and wondering "will this make us ineligible?"

Thank you all for the peace of mind and I wish everyone luck in their respective visa endeavours, this is truly a great website.

Obviously, make sure each arrest is correctly documented on the forms, does she have the court records that will be necessary?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I think she shoud get all over this and get it expunged or sealed. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come, with lifes problems.

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think she shoud get all over this and get it expunged or sealed. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come, with lifes problems.

Sorry BigDog.. I'll go with Canadian_wife.. USCIS does not expunge or seal records.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.