memberk1

How long should I know my fiance before applying for k1 visa?

28 posts in this topic

Hello VJ members,

1. How long do I need to have known my fiance for and 2. How much time do I need to spend with her when I visit in order to get approved for a k1 visa? I met her online in March 2013 and I plan to visit her for 21 days this summer in the Philippines, which looks like the maximum amount of days Immigration will give me to visit. I will be staying with her and her family. We have been chatting online every day and talking on the phone for the past 2 months. We love each other and God willing we would like to get married and start a family together.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some solid feedback on this. -Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi im from Philippines too. Me and my fiancee have similar situation with you. We met online on September, we meet up on person end of October for one week in Philippines. Then we applied for K-1 visa late December and we dont seem to have any problem at all. We are just waiting for our NOA2 to come. But since then while waiting for the NOA2, we never stopped talking everyday, he have visited me again last Febuary then again he will come this June with is son. So we have more proof of meeting up in person when we get to the part where US Manila Embassy will handle our case!! So goodluck to you both!!!

Filed: Timeline

Hello VJ members,

1. How long do I need to have known my fiance for and 2. How much time do I need to spend with her when I visit in order to get approved for a k1 visa? I met her online in March 2013 and I plan to visit her for 21 days this summer in the Philippines, which looks like the maximum amount of days Immigration will give me to visit. I will be staying with her and her family. We have been chatting online every day and talking on the phone for the past 2 months. We love each other and God willing we would like to get married and start a family together.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some solid feedback on this. -Thank you

It is completely country dependent and relevant to social norms. For the Philippines, a few months of internet chat and a week in Manila was enough for us, despite being a high fraud country. For other countries, that is not enough. The main requirement is that you two have met in person in the last two years, and have maintained a continuing relationship. There is no real formula - what may work for one, may not be enough for another,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Hello VJ members,

1. How long do I need to have known my fiance for

2. How much time do I need to spend with her when I visit in order to get approved for a k1 visa?

Hello fiance2013,

There is no requirement on your length of stay or the length of your relationship when applying for a K-1 visa. The only requirement of that sorts is that you guys met in the past two years (prior to filing the visa).

You should document your trip to the Philippines very well. Keep the boarding passes. Take pictures with her and her family. Keep bills from restaurants, tickets for museums and stuff like that. If possible, spend a couple of nights at a hotel and get a receipt that shows both of your names on it (I do not know if this is culturally acceptable, my father did not let us spend the night in the same room under his roof while we were dating biggrin.png).

I hope your trip turns out the way you want it.

P.S. Notice that you will need the following items for your applications and try to get them while you are there with her:

9. G-325A filled out by the foreign fiance(e) signed and dated (see example).

10. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign fiance(e). Write the full name of the foreign fiance(e) on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert foreign fiance(e) name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

The guide to K-1 visa can be found here, take a look at it before your trip.

Edited by Ivy.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Isn't the requirement just to have met in person at least once?

Yeah i think so. I have known a couple of people that have only met once and never had any problems. In my case, we both just cant take the long distance that good that we have to see each other as much as we can until the visa comes!!! Its agonizing but its worth the wait..

I plan to visit her for 21 days this summer in the Philippines, which looks like the maximum amount of days Immigration will give me to visit.

You can stay for 21 days without a visa. Beyond 21 days, you can apply for an extension at the Bureau of Immigration.

Hello fiance2013,

There is no requirement on your length of stay or the length of your relationship when applying for a K-1 visa. The only requirement of that sorts is that you guys met in the past two years (prior to filing the visa).

You should document your trip to the Philippines very well. Keep the boarding passes. Take pictures with her and her family. Keep bills from restaurants, tickets for museums and stuff like that. If possible, spend a couple of nights at a hotel and get a receipt that shows both of your names on it (I do not know if this is culturally acceptable, my father did not let us spend the night in the same room under his roof while we were dating biggrin.png).

I hope your trip turns out the way you want it.

P.S. Notice that you will need the following items for your applications and try to get them while you are there with her:

The guide to K-1 visa can be found here, take a look at it before your trip.

Thanks Ivy,

the only reason I asked was because some sites like ehow and filipinafiancevisa list those questions as reasons for a k1 visa application to be denied. -Thankssmile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just my two cents.

The K-1 Process is very stressful. At least it has been for us. I Have known my girlfriend two years. In that time we have been physically together 5 months. That foundation has helped us get through the tough times. Looking back, if I had started this process after knowing her only a couple months and spending a few days together, I'm sure we would not have completed the journey. I'm glad we took the time to get to know each other well, and spend time with her family before starting the K-1.

Edited by slowlyman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It is completely country dependent and relevant to social norms. For the Philippines, a few months of internet chat and a week in Manila was enough for us, despite being a high fraud country. For other countries, that is not enough. The main requirement is that you two have met in person in the last two years, and have maintained a continuing relationship. There is no real formula - what may work for one, may not be enough for another,

This answer is dead-nuts accurate. Some elaboration could be helpful for new folks. The requirements for the petition (the initial USCIS phase) are that you have met once in person within the last 2 years, are eligible to marry, and intend to marry within 90 days of entry into the U.S. if the visa is granted.

The consular phase wildly varies, which is what the experienced member alludes to above. In general, "time spent together in person" means a great deal to the consul, who determines the bona fide nature of the relationship (the strength of the "continuing relationship" that the quoted member mentions). Most times, it also scores big points if the U.S. petitioner is on the consular premises when the beneficiary is interviewed.

If you haven't filed the I-129F petition yet, I suggest that you complete your 21-day visit first, and then file.

Some further elaboration, including a snapshot of the entire K-1 journey, can be read about here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

As long as you can establish a bona fide relationship and satisfy the interviewing officer that your relationship is valid, the visa is likely to be approved, provided there are no ineligibility issues.

I had been freaking out a lot about my own fiancee's interview, and we had lived together for ten months, and been together for several months in Mongolia before that. It was approved really easily, and I regret stressing out so much.

I have spent a lot of time reading about stories of denials. They seem to happen a lot for no real reason in places like India, Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean, where the relationships are labelled as fraud/only for immigration purposes. Luckily, as for the Philippines, the only times I see denials are when there are weird issues. To explain what I mean by weird issues, I'll give a couple examples.

The divorced petitioner/beneficiary was still married when the relationship started, and had a quick divorce. It was suspicious.

The beneficiary had previously had an I-129F filed on her behalf by a different American. It was suspicious that she was just visa-fishing.

I think if there are no issues like that, it's likely you'll be approved without issue, even with just one visit, but it always depends on which officer you get at the interview, and how well you were able to document and prove your relationship.

Edited by duraaraa

What would Xenu do?

I have known my fiance for 2 years, this is our 3rd year. I visited him and we stayed together for 6 months and we are probably going to file our I-129F next month.

I got engaged in Feb 2013.

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

I don't think you will have to many issues but why don't you get to know this girl a little more before you decide to get married and spend the rest of your lives together. How well do you really know her after only 2 months?

This.

You think you've argued through Skype or on the phone? You have no idea what that'll be like until you're together, face to face. It's completely different, no more just hanging up or closing the laptop. There's no where to go.

Edited by fantonledzepp

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.