Shante

Jamaican fiance denied!!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I was assuming my fiancé would be granted a tourist visa.. Since he's already been to the us to attend college. ( he's Jamaican) He was denied today because his ties weren't strong enough to his country. Hes been at his job for ten years. . has two children and returned after college. My question now is should I marry him in Jamaica and apply for the spousal visa? I heard the fiancé visa is a long process. I'm new to this all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The spousal visa will take about a year to go through. Have a look at the break down for the visas. http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The fiance visa "typically" takes less time however these days ya never kno!! Lol both the visa & spousal visa's are being adjudicated at about the same rate.. But if the service centers get back on task then the K-1 fiancee visa will take less processing time. The benefit to a spousal visa as opposed to a fiancee visa is with a spousal visa when the benificiary enters the US u will not need to adjust status like u do need to with a fiancee visa. U have 1 last step to take if u get married then file..

"One LESS step" not last..

Edited by yorubaqueen13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm currently in the process of finishing up the last stages of the fiance visa and from my experience I would say to go ahead and get married due to the fact that the steps for the marriage process is a shorter route. When doing a fiance visa you have to do the process for the petition and if he is approved and comes here, you still have to get married and start the second phase of getting him is greencard, so I reccomend marriage. If I could do it all over I would have just gotten married. The fiance visa is a waste of time and money. I had to wait 8 months just to see if the application was approved and now he has to do an interview to see if they will approve him to come to the states... If things doesn't work out, we will have lost out on a lot of money because we paid $340 for the application fee, he has to pay for medical, $240 for the visa fee, and so much more... Good Luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I was assuming my fiancé would be granted a tourist visa.. Since he's already been to the us to attend college. ( he's Jamaican) He was denied today because his ties weren't strong enough to his country. Hes been at his job for ten years. . has two children and returned after college. My question now is should I marry him in Jamaica and apply for the spousal visa? I heard the fiancé visa is a long process. I'm new to this all.

I am sorry to hear he cannot visit, however the strong ties to his country are the same ties he is giving up by coming here as your fiance, so it makes sense to me how they could deny him.

Take a look at both options and what is most important to you. As mentioned, lately there has not been much of a difference in processing time between your two options. Could it change? Maybe... could it not? Maybe. So check out if it is more important for him to have a green card up front and be able to work, get his social security card, drivers license (depending on state) and not worry about immigration until the ROC... or is it more important to have the wedding in the states... what is your best option monetarily, etc.

Best of luck on your journey either way! goofy.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- OP is weighing visa paths. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

They always deny for tourist visa, it has no reflection on any past visas.

The fiance visa takes at least 8-10 months for the entire process, and then you have another process of AOS with a wait time of 8-12 months, depending upon where you live.

The spousal visa takes at least 10-12 months, but you will be completely finished with the entire visa process for 2 years.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I too am going through the fiance process. If I knew it was just as long to go through the marriage, I would have chosen marriage. Just on the basis that once he is here (with the fiance visa) he will have to wait until his EAD is approved to find work. Which right now is processing at about 4 months. With the marriage visa, he would have been able to work once he entered.

But then again, we had only met a few months before filing so I think proving bonafide relationship could have been more difficult through the marriage visa process. Especially since Jamaica is classified as high fraud. I guess each situation is different. Only you can decide. Either route has its pro's and con's. I can tell you from obervation, after USCIS approves a petition, the process seems to move rather quickly for a fiance visa rather than marriage. Best of luck with your decision and journey.

Edited by BeanCamp

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My now wife..

Did not want to do want to get married then be seperated..

So she chose k1. I was om either way.. but I kind of agreed with her

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.