meserveyj

Will under MEDICAID affect the Removal Of Condition

12 posts in this topic

Im under the conditional of stay, 2 years greencard, currently pregnant, cant get health insurance that will cover my current condition, Im planning to apply for a MEDICAID, my question is, do you think it will affect on my ROC application? thank you!

Filed: Timeline

I don't think it will affect it. The ROC is only to check whether your marriage is bona fide. Other things do not matter.

Plus, the immigrant is not under any obligation to not apply for any benefits or whatever at all. (Whether they give you the benefits is another matter.) It's the sponsor who did the Affidavit of Support who may be asked to pay back the costs if the immigrant gets benefits.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

that's what I was thinking. You need to be a citizen for medicaid

No she doesn't. You need to have been an LPR for 5 years to be eligible.

Im under the conditional of stay, 2 years greencard, currently pregnant, cant get health insurance that will cover my current condition, Im planning to apply for a MEDICAID, my question is, do you think it will affect on my ROC application? thank you!

You are not eligible for regular medicaid. You MAY be eligible for emergency medicaid to assist with costs of the labour, but it does not include pre-natal care and no it doesn't affect your status.

There may be state progras that you can use for pre-natal care but some/many you will not be eligible for because you have not been an LPR long enough. If they are means-tested your sponsor may receive a bill eventually.

You are not eligible for regular medicaid. You MAY be eligible for emergency medicaid to assist with costs of the labour, but it does not include pre-natal care and no it doesn't affect your status.

In my state (California), *any* California resident who is pregnant and meets the income requirements can get Pregnancy-only Medi-Cal (what they call Medicaid in California), and they do not look at (in fact, are not allowed to ask about) your immigration status for this type of Medicaid. It covers pre-natal care.

Edited by newacct

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

The state of Illinois also offers the state funded "Moms and Babies" program. This program offers pregnant Illinois residents prenatal care as well as delivery and associated services and 6 weeks post partum care for the new mommy regardless of immigration status.

All Illinois children are similarly covered under the state funded "All Kids" program.

Costs for these programs are based on an income based sliding scale which is free to the insured on the low end.

The purpose for the programs is to provide healthcare to those who are otherwise uninsurable.

When we arrived in the US we discovered that no insurer will write a policy on a person in the country fewer than 6 months, they will not write a policy on an expecting mommy and they will not insure a step-child except when the natural parent is insured.

We attempted to go self pay and were referred to these programs.

th_Untitled-3.jpg?t=1294114030

03/2008--Met while working together in Mongolia
06/21/10--Married in Ulaanbaatar on the Summer solstice
USCIS
09/06/10--I-130 package mailed to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
12/14/10--NOA2 hardcopy rec'd, Dec 09 notice date<APPROVED>86 Days
NVC
12/22/10-NVC / IIN Number issued, AOS bill paid
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
January4............IV bill paid, discovered error by preparer
USCIS ROUND 2
01/04/11-- I-130 package for stepson sent express with expedite plea
01/11/11---Congressional expedite plea lodged with USCIS
01/20/11--- Notice date, APPROVED 14 days
NVC ROUND 2
01/26/11--- NVC/IIN Numbers issued, DS-3032 Emailed
02/07/11--- AOS/IV packages fedexed to NVC
02/24/11--- Both Cases Completed at NVC
CONSULAR
04/27/11--- Interview passed
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

heart.gif NEW YEAR'S EVE 2011, WE WELCOME OUR BABY GIRL TO THE FAMILYheart.gif

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

Timeline

In my state (California), *any* California resident who is pregnant and meets the income requirements can get Pregnancy-only Medi-Cal (what they call Medicaid in California), and they do not look at (in fact, are not allowed to ask about) your immigration status for this type of Medicaid. It covers pre-natal care.

Which makes it a means tested benefit: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#19

Like I said "There may be state programs that you can use for pre-natal care but some/many you will not be eligible for because you have not been an LPR long enough. If they are means-tested your sponsor may receive a bill eventually." (edited for typo)

See here: http://healthconsumer.org/Medi-CalOverview2008Ch14.pdf page 11:

If the sponsored immigrant receives a federal means-tested public benefit, such as Medi-Cal,Health Families, Food Stamps, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Aid to Need Families (TANF), the sponsor may be held responsible for repayment of the benefit within 45 days of a request for repayment by the benefit-granting agency. The state has up to ten years from the date on which the immigrant last received Medi-Cal or Healthy Families benefits to bring an action for repayment against the sponsor.

As to asking about status, see page 12 where they talk about verification of status on SAVE and how medicaid agencies are "required" to verify... so again.

Yes the OP can apply but their sponsor may be asked to repay.

Timeline

Which makes it a means tested benefit: http://travel.state....fo_3183.html#19

Important here is the word federal in connection with means tested. If a state offers a means tested benefit for which it receives no federal funding then that is a non issue with respect to the I-864.

USCIS
NVC
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
USCIS ROUND 2
NVC ROUND 2
CONSULAR
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

Timeline

Which makes it a means tested benefit: http://travel.state....fo_3183.html#19

Important here is the word federal in connection with means tested. If a state offers a means tested benefit for which it receives no federal funding then that is a non issue with respect to the I-864.

Which is why I said: "There may be state programs that you can use for pre-natal care but some/many you will not be eligible for because you have not been an LPR long enough. If they are means-tested your sponsor may receive a bill eventually."

The OP may have a hard time knowing "for sure" whether her sponsor will eventually receive a bill or not. As the OP can't afford anything right now it might be a choice they need to make... the baby's health is important and the money can be sorted out another time.

Timeline

That is correct. Even though there are means tested programs which are not federally funded, most of them are and one must be cautious to avoid them.

In any event and to address the OP, accepting federally funded means tested benefits ie. Medicaid will not jeapordize ROC but could prove a huge financial burden down the road. Tread lightly.

USCIS
NVC
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
USCIS ROUND 2
NVC ROUND 2
CONSULAR
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

Which makes it a means tested benefit: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#19

Like I said "There may be state programs that you can use for pre-natal care but some/many you will not be eligible for because you have not been an LPR long enough. If they are means-tested your sponsor may receive a bill eventually." (edited for typo)

See here: http://healthconsumer.org/Medi-CalOverview2008Ch14.pdf page 11:

As to asking about status, see page 12 where they talk about verification of status on SAVE and how medicaid agencies are "required" to verify... so again.

Yes the OP can apply but their sponsor may be asked to repay.

Right. I am not disagreeing that the sponsor can be asked to pay. (I mentioned that in my first reply.) I simply said (in my first reply) that the OP can apply and it will not affect the OP in any way; and (in my second reply) I disagreed with the statement that she is not eligible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.