elle13

What happens after POE?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I've just entered the US with my CR1 visa and have the endorsement on my passport which serves as a temporary visa. Have also paid the new IV fee of $165. So what happens now? Do I need to initiate anything to get my green card and SSN or will they just arrive in the mail?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've done lots of research on everything pre-POE but am actually not sure what happens after. I do know I need to initiate an ROC application 6 months before the 2 year period expires.

Interview date: May 2, 2013
POE: May 2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

You do not need to do anything further for your green card, it will come in the mail. My husband's took about a month.

The social security card should come soon if you checked the option to have one assigned in your visa application. If you did and you do not see it in a few weeks or if you did not choose this option you will need to go to the social security office to get your card.

Welcome to the US! :)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Great! Thanks for the reply. Yes I did check in the form to ask for a SSN to be assigned to me.

What was ur POE??? Dont wait for SSN to arrive, people wait for SSN to arrive but nuthin arrives. Better go at ur nearest SSN office and apply for SSN next day. Coz w/o SSN u cant do anythg in US. Its simple, just fill the form online, take printout and ur Passport and ur Birth Cert.

Regarding ur GC, it will arrive in mail in a month or so.

I also recently Immigrated here, my POE was Newark, EWR. I applied for SSN after 2 days and got it within a week. So i suggest u to apply for SSN as soon as possible.

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

November 14 2013 I-130 Sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 15 2013 I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox Facility

November 18 2013 Email from USCIS about Petition Acceptance (PD Nov 15 2013)

November 19 2013 I 797 NOA 1 received by mail

March 24 2015 Received E Mail and Text Notification about Case transfer to another USCIS Office

March 28 2015 Received Hard copy of Transfer Notice from USCIS

March 31 2015 Case Approved by USCIS

April 1 2015 Received Email and Text message for Case Approval

April 4 2015 Received Hard Copy of NOA2 from USCIS

NVC STAGE

April 16 2015 Case received at NVC

April 24 2015 Case Number and IIN received on Call

April 27 2015 Paid AOS Fees and Submitted DS-261

April 29 2015 Welcome Letter from NVC in Email

May 05 2015 DS-261 reviewed over phone

May 06 2015 AOS & Civil Documents sent to NVC

May 07 2015 Documents received at NVC

May 08 2015 Email from NVC to pay IV Fees

June 08 2015 IV PAID

June 10 2015 Submitted DS-260

July 13 2015 Case Completed

July 29 2015 Finally....Got Interview Date

Sep 18 2015 Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Actually the SSN office said they get a lot of them returned because people do not add their spouses name at the post office so often times the post office will not deliver. This might be where you want to stop first.

This is what happened to us.

Timeline

Is there a website where I can track the production and delivery of my green card? Presumably this is dealt with by USCIS and not DOS or NVC.

Timeline

Also, (sorry!) will my green card arrive in my married name or my maiden name? My passport is in my maiden name, and my DS-230 had my maiden name also (to match my passport). I would prefer my green card to contain my married name. Is there a way I can ask USCIS to ensure my green card has my married name?

Timeline

You should get a letter with a case number telling you the port of entry forwarded your file and they are processing for your green card. Once you have the case number you can track it online. Ours came 2 days before the green card did though. Go figure wacko.png

As for the last name, it will have the name on their that was used for the visa request. If you did not use your married name, I am not sure if you can still change it or not without the new fee. You can always call and ask, unless someone here knows for sure. I do not.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

your GC will arrive in the same name you have on your visa. You initiate ROC 90 days (that's three months) before expiration of conditional GC. You can change name on SSN, state ID etc after your initial documents are sorted out here

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

• 3 months later...

Wait at least 2 weeks for the SSN to arrive on it's on in the mail. It normally takes a week or two for the POE package to make it back to the USCIS.

Your green card should arrive in the mail 1-3 months after your POE date. You can check it using the ELIS site.

Hi, Elle! How many days did you have to wait after entering US before you received your GC? I arrived here on a CR-1 Visa last August 15, 2013 and I still haven't received mine. Thanks

What does your ELIS account say?

It takes 1-3 months for the green card to arrive. Don't worry about it too much because your endorsed visa in your passport acts as a temporary green card for a year.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I got mine working a month but I do agree, it varies greatly. Don't stress to much about it as it's early days yet. I didn't have problems finding a job without the green card as employers are more concerned about your SSN. That's what they used to run background and authorization checks on me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.