Karee

Most 401k plans are a scam

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think anyone that is saving, or planning to save for retirement should watch this. It opened my eyes to alot of things. I made some drastic changes to my retirement account after watching this and doing research on what funds my "financial adviser" had me invested in. Quick example, she had me invested in FRETX which is an equity mutual fund. Come to find out that I'd have to pay over $2000 in fees for $10,000 invested over 10 years regardless of the performance of the fund. Also, that fund underperformed the S&P 500 by ALOT. An S&P index fund with $10,000 invested over 10 years would cost $217 in fees.

Basically congress is in the pockets of Wall Street. It's about 50 minutes long, but it's worth it to see how the majority of financial firms in this country are not here to help you, but rather suck every last penny out of you.

Apparently I still need to go back to internet school, because I can't seem to embed it here. Maybe someone else can figure it out. Here's the link:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retirement-gamble/

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i have an account that 'allows' me to invest in whatever I want, and fees are collected only when I buy something.

I like it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Basically congress is in the pockets of Wall Street. It's about 50 minutes long, but it's worth it to see how the majority of financial firms in this country are not here to help you, but rather suck every last penny out of you.

You had to watch a 50 minute video to come to that conclusion? :blink:

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Timeline

You had to watch a 50 minute video to come to that conclusion? :blink:

They way they do it is what shocked me.

Filed: Timeline

I pay a small custodial fee every year to watch my investments do nothing but go down since late 2008, then finally recover to pre 2008 levels last fall, and actually show about a 5% return over the last six months. So exciting!

I think anyone that is saving, or planning to save for retirement should watch this. It opened my eyes to alot of things. I made some drastic changes to my retirement account after watching this and doing research on what funds my "financial adviser" had me invested in. Quick example, she had me invested in FRETX which is an equity mutual fund. Come to find out that I'd have to pay over $2000 in fees for $10,000 invested over 10 years regardless of the performance of the fund. Also, that fund underperformed the S&P 500 by ALOT. An S&P index fund with $10,000 invested over 10 years would cost $217 in fees.

Apparently I still need to go back to internet school, because I can't seem to embed it here. Maybe someone else can figure it out. Here's the link:

Dude you just figured that out?

Those huge wall street bonuses and salaries do not come from their hard work. They are skimmed off the top of our IRA, 401K, and investment accounts with money saved from OUR hard work.

i don't get it.

Timeline

Dude you just figured that out?

Those huge wall street bonuses and salaries do not come from their hard work. They are skimmed off the top of our IRA, 401K, and investment accounts with money saved from OUR hard work.

Well I "just figured out" since I am just now planning for the future. Thankfully, with yanking all my funds, I made $30. So no damage in my case. Just posting to maybe help someone else that hasn't figured it out.

Edited by Karee

The have upgraded the software here. Most things are cut and paste now

As for 401Ks you are right . I bet advisers fund had a 1b-1 fee that was heft also . That is another name for kickback to the advisory fee for putting you in their rip off mutual fund.

Just for kicks tell your plan administrator this story and tell them how much money you lost. Then ask who the fiduciary is. if they have any sense they will get real nervous.

Ask them to put some low cost funds like Vanguard in the plan.

Edited by The Nature Boy

Timeline

The have upgraded the software here. Most things are cut and paste now

As for 401Ks you are right . I bet advisers fund had a 1b-1 fee that was heft also . That is another name for kickback to the advisory fee for putting you in their rip off mutual fund.

Just for kicks tell your plan administrator this story and tell them how much money you lost. Then ask who the fiduciary is. if they have any sense they will get real nervous.

Ask them to put some low cost funds like Vanguard in the plan.

She's already liquidated everything to cash. I actually came out $31 ahead after it was all over. I think the fee you're referring to is an 12b-1 fee. Yeah that was all in there.

She asked me why I was closing the account. I said:

#1 The three funds you have me in underperform vs. the S&P 500 by huge margins. (I ran the numbers for the 3 training years and the 5 trailing years. It was laughable how bad these 3 funds were compared to the S&P 500.)

#2 For $1,000 invested, just the mangement fees (not the 12b-1 stuff you mentioned) come out to $210 over 10 years. That's 21% of the amount invested going to fees. It's a joke. She had no answer and just said, "sorry to see you go"

I've alread opened a Merril Edge account that links directly with my BoA bank account since they are basically the same company. VFINX is an S&P 500 index fund, and guess what? The fees for $10k invested over 10 years come out $217, not $2100. And like I said in point #1 the S&P outperforms these funds by far anyway. Hell on that PBS episode it said that 95% of the mutual funds out there can't keep pace with the S&P 500. When I move my money into VFINX the trading fee is like $9.

This is all something I went out and did on my own, and not part of a company 401k. I'm not waiting around until I'm 59 1/2 or whatever it is to retire.

At least in Thailand when some chick was scamming me for money, I usually got laid out of the deal.

She's already liquidated everything to cash. I actually came out $31 ahead after it was all over. I think the fee you're referring to is an 12b-1 fee. Yeah that was all in there.

#1 The three funds you have me in underperform vs. the S&P 500 by huge margins. (I ran the numbers for the 3 training years and the 5 trailing years. It was laughable how bad these 3 funds were compared to the S&P 500.)

#2 For $1,000 invested, just the mangement fees (not the 12b-1 stuff you mentioned) come out to $210 over 10 years. That's 21% of the amount invested going to fees. It's a joke. She had no answer and just said, "sorry to see you go"

I've alread opened a Merril Edge account that links directly with my BoA bank account since they are basically the same company. VFINX is an S&P 500 index fund, and guess what? The fees for $10k invested over 10 years come out $217, not $2100. And like I said in point #1 the S&P outperforms these funds by far anyway. Hell on that PBS episode it said that 95% of the mutual funds out there can't keep pace with the S&P 500. When I move my money into VFINX the trading fee is like $9.

This is all something I went out and did on my own, and not part of a company 401k. I'm not waiting around until I'm 59 1/2 or whatever it is to retire.

At least in Thailand when some chick was scamming me for money, I usually got laid out of the deal.

Laid as opposed to f--ked? LOL

i don't get it.

VFINX is a good low cost fund. I think it just mirrors the S and P 500

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I pay a small custodial fee every year to watch my investments do nothing but go down since late 2008, then finally recover to pre 2008 levels last fall, and actually show about a 5% return over the last six months. So exciting!

You should thank your lucky stars that the FED thanks to it's asset buying program, has effectively made investing on the stock market a risk free proposition. Go American capitalism!

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Timeline

You should thank your lucky stars that the FED thanks to it's asset buying program, has effectively made investing on the stock market a risk free proposition. Go American capitalism!

rofl.gif Yeah, right. Go suck on somebody else's tailpipe.