jeyh

Are these enough to meet poverty guideline in I-134 ?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Azerbaijan
Timeline

Are these enough to meet poverty guideline in I-134 ?

Please help calculate.

• 9000 $ sponsors income (very low :crying: )
  • 35,000 $ - their total deposit (he and his wife)
  • 145,000 $ - real estate
  • 8,500 $ - Supplemental Security Income of sponsor's spouse.
  • Sponsors intends to provide me housing, board, transportation during 3 years.

are these enough for 3 person - sponsor, his spouse and me.

No, they are not able to liquidate their house because they need that to live in. That makes $17,500 in income and $35,000 in assets (you need 3x the assets to make up the difference). You need $24413 for 3 people.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

No, they are not able to liquidate their house because they need that to live in. That makes $17,500 in income and $35,000 in assets (you need 3x the assets to make up the difference). You need $24413 for 3 people.

thank you, another question

Supplemental Security Income may be also added to total income? Is this correct ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

SSI is a means tested public benefit. It cannot be considered as income for an affidavit of support. Also, SSI has a strict asset limit of $2000 for eligibility. Those SSI benefits may be in jeopardy if Department of State decides to forward a copy of that I-134 to the Social Security Administration.

Both DoS and DHS policy specifically allow for real estate equity to be considered as an asset for an affidavit of support, but neither agency requires the CO or IO to consider it. It used to be common for them to accept real estate as an asset because there was a presumption that the equity could be converted into a line of credit. Ever since the real estate crash they no longer make this assumption, and there is an increasing tendency for them to not consider real estate since equity lines of credit have all but disappeared, and getting any cash out of the house most often would require selling the home, which both DoS and DHS would consider an undue financial hardship.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** One post removed for asking VJ members to be co-sponsors- do not solicit for co-sponsors on this site ****

You need to cast your net wider- ask friends, church family, distant cousins, old work collegues etc.

Alternatively, why can your fiance not sponsor you? If, for example, it is because they are still a student, then it may make sense to delay the K1 a few months/ a year until they graduate and can make sufficient income.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

**** One post removed for asking VJ members to be co-sponsors- do not solicit for co-sponsors on this site ****

You need to cast your net wider- ask friends, church family, distant cousins, old work collegues etc.

In azeri and russian boards, pipl state that i-134 legally binding document and no one will sign it for stranger.

It was very hard to found these kind men, but their income is very low :(

Alternatively, why can your fiance not sponsor you? If, for example, it is because they are still a student, then it may make sense to delay the K1 a few months/ a year until they graduate and can make sufficient income.

I am a DV-2013 winner. I have asked question here because, this part of board more active about i-134.

Timeline

*** Moving from K1 fiance visa to Diversity Visa lottery forum as OP is on that path ****

Since you are DV lottery winner, there are other ways- for example if you can get a job offer, or have some savings to tidy you over. Unlike a K1er, you do not necessarily need the full amount of the I-134/ I-864, the CO at interview has more leeway.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

*** Moving from K1 fiance visa to Diversity Visa lottery forum as OP is on that path ****

Since you are DV lottery winner, there are other ways- for example if you can get a job offer, or have some savings to tidy you over. Unlike a K1er, you do not necessarily need the full amount of the I-134/ I-864, the CO at interview has more leeway.

new rules for Tbilisi

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/georgia/538077/kharabadzem/instr-dv-eng.pdf

new rules for Tirana

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/albania/388734/documents/instr-dv-eng.pdf

Timeline

SSI is a means tested public benefit. It cannot be considered as income for an affidavit of support. Also, SSI has a strict asset limit of $2000 for eligibility. Those SSI benefits may be in jeopardy if Department of State decides to forward a copy of that I-134 to the Social Security Administration.

But his wife is not dependent from his income. am I right ?

Then poverty level for 2 person (he and me) should be taken in calculations ???

Poverty level for 2 person is 15,500.

Pls say your opinion. thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Both DoS and DHS policy specifically allow for real estate equity to be considered as an asset for an affidavit of support, but neither agency requires the CO or IO to consider it. It used to be common for them to accept real estate as an asset because there was a presumption that the equity could be converted into a line of credit. Ever since the real estate crash they no longer make this assumption, and there is an increasing tendency for them to not consider real estate since equity lines of credit have all but disappeared, and getting any cash out of the house most often would require selling the home, which both DoS and DHS would consider an undue financial hardship.

:thumbs:

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

But his wife is not dependent from his income. am I right ?

Then poverty level for 2 person (he and me) should be taken in calculations ???

Poverty level for 2 person is 15,500.

Pls say your opinion. thanks

If they are married then they are automatically counted together. Also it is not the poverty level you are going by but 125% of the poverty line.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

If they are married then they are automatically counted together. Also it is not the poverty level you are going by but 125% of the poverty line.

Yes probably it is ..... but it seems 100%, not 125%

"Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#9

http://georgia.usembassy.gov/poverty-guidelines.html

Edited by jeyh

Timeline

You are technically correct about the 100%, but most US embassies want to see 125% for the K1, because 125% is what you will need for AOS just a few months later.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

You are technically correct about the 100%, but most US embassies want to see 125% for the K1, because 125% is what you will need for AOS just a few months later.

It seems you are also right .. because in Refusal Worksheet of one of the winner is written : required I-134 and 125% is figured there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.