Fetaria

The child I left behind

189 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone out there have a child still living in the country they moved from? My children's father and I, through mediation, decided to let the young ones have a say in where they lived.. along with what we thought best for the moment. Our 9 yr daughter moved here with me, our 11yr old son stayed with his dad. We have had to deal with a great deal of scrutiny already over the decision to separate them, so I do not need any more of that. What I am looking for however is if anyone else has or is dealing with this type of separation. Some days I do ok, some days I do not so ok. My son and I are very close and we talk often. I try to keep things positive and bring up the next time we will be together and how wonderful it will be. The other night he tells me how much he misses me and wishes I could be there to tuck him in like I use to, how nothing comforts him like I can. When I hear these things is breaks my heart into pieces. The decision to move and make this life change was not an easy one, I stayed in an unhappy marriage for many years "for the kids sake". I think at times I could easily sway him into saying out loud that he would like to move here with us but I don't want to go there. I am trying to keep things positive for him. What happens then however is that my husband gets the messy breakdown when I cannot stay positive any longer. He has huge amounts of stress through work and school and the last thing he needs is to be worrying about me and my mental state. So then atop the guilt over not being with my child on a daily basis I have guilt over being unhappy at times with a most beautiful life I have been given by my husband. Something I am leary of as well is when my son comes to visit this summer, I want to be careful not to overcompensate and make the children here (my daughter and two step children) feel as if they have been shoved aside yet at the same time I need my son to feel as if he is just as much a part of the family as they are and I want to make up for lost time with him. Not sure what I am looking for here, it is not judgement as I say, or sympathy for that matter. Just similar stories if they are out there and what others may of been through in regards to such a situation.

K1 AOS

01/17/06.....Sent AOS package out

01/31/06.....NOA

03/15/06.....Biometrics Appointment

04/10/06.....Interview letter received

05/24/06.....Interview

AOS APPROVED

06/05/06Greencard received... with an error

I-90 Timeline

06/08/06..... Sent out I-90 to have green card error fixed

09/29/06.....Correct Green Card

K2 AOS/AP

01/17/06.....Sent out AOS/AP

01/31/06.....NOA for AOS and AP

03/07/06.....AP approved

03/16/06.....Biometrics Appointment

05/24/06.....Interview

AOS APPROVED

06/05/06Greencard received

03/13/09 10 year green card received :o)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I haven't experienced this, just wanted to extend my sympathies. It sounds like such a tough and heart wrenching situation.

Best Wishes

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

:( I KNow how you feel.........................My EX wanted my son to stay in the UK with him, The thought of moving here to a new place,new school etc was a bit daunting for my son too, so he wanted to stay!!.he has just had his Birthday he is now 10, it is very very hard, we talk almost every day, some times he is busy, ya know playing outside with his friends & stuff, but we chat online with webcams, when i see him on cam my heart just melts.....I will be going back to England soon for my CR1 interview & am SOOOOO excited as i will be seeing my gorgeous little man :luv:

It is my hope that when he has visited a few times (he has fear of flying) and also thinks it takes too long to get to America :P ...when he has been & when he gets a little older he will choose to come here to live with me!!...

I also left behind my other son, who is 22 and almost a grown up :P .......I miss him a great deal too.............but we talk, all of us talk, my older son has a morgage a girlfriend, cats.......and he is happy, so that makes me happy, BUT i cant wait to see them both again, and that day is going to be realy realy soon :blush:

So your not alone is what i'm saying, I know exactly how you feel :luv:

Amanda

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Timeline

Hi,

I am going to send you a PM.

Danette

Oct 2005 visa received

Dec 24, 2005 Married in Vegas

Jan 29, 2006 sent AOS

April 19, 2006 AP approved...finally

Aug 30, 2006 AOS interview....approved

Sept 06...Received Green card

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

HUGS (F)

It must be hard for you.

I have one son here with me who is now 17, and my 21 year old son is at home. I get sad not being able to see him everyday like we did. He is 21 now and a young man, but I still miss him. I cant imagine for those of you that had to leave a smaller child. That would be a heart breaker for sure.

All you can do is get thru each day. Keep talking to them. I call my oldest son all the time.

I had the guilt feeling of seperating my sons too, as they are very close. I miss them wrestling and me having to tell them to settle down before one of them got hurt........lol. Miss seeing them walking down the lane together going for a walk . Just miss them being brothers and doing stuff together :(

Its hard no matter how old your child is that is left behind

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

I am sorry you have to go thro this. I have been in a similar situation at one point in my life. 11 years ago I lost custody of my children when I went thro my divorce, they were only small children and it broke all our hearts. I certainly remember those days when the pain seems overbearing and nobody can make it better for you. They finally came back to live with me when they got old enough to make that decision...but I can never get those missed years back.

They are all grown up now and I know I will be leaving them in a couple of years to move to the States...I will still miss them as much but I know they have their own lives to lead.

I guess I focused on other things in my life to get me thro'....ran some pubs...put myself thro Uni etc. I can't say it ever gets better but you do get more 'used' to it. I had another child later who was a great comfort and blessing to me, delight in the children around you (I am sure you do anyway)......but importantly be kind to yourself, you gave your children the choice and that was an amazing thing to do, he may well feel he made the wrong choice and I guess it is so hard for him wanting you and his dad.

Maybe you should talk to the other children before your sons visit and apologize in advance if you appear to 'over compensate' while if is there and explain how much you have missed him and he you.

All the best to you and I hope your spirits lift.

(F)(F)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There are quite a few of us here in similar situations to yours. I left my kids behind 2 years ago,..I have twin girls. The seperation at times can be gut wretching, to the point of questioning your rights to your own happiness over your children. My children came to live with me only a month ago, and the adjustment has been difficult, again to the point of questioning if I did the right thing by now taking them away from the only lifestyle they have ever known. I was always getting my kids, I just had to deal with the seperation for two years.

I know Raphael also is seperated from her daughter at the moment.

Feel free to contact me if you need to chat.

I feel for you, I really do...

Jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Timeline

Yep, there's a few of us on here but we don't mention it much becuz its bad enough having to leave them behind, but worse when you come into a Forum thats supposed to be here to support you and your Chastised for it. :( I usually don't post much on here about it cuz I end up in tears. ( which I am now)

Its gutwrenching to say the least. Luckily my daughter comes to visit, plus we go online on webcam all the time. You miss the small things tho, like hearing her little giggle. reading to her at bedtime, teasing her about the little biy who has a school crush on her. brushing her hair, drawing a bath for her, shopping for school clothes etc... I even miss hearing the kids programs she used to watch on TV. its funny cuz I used to complain that her TV was too loud. Now I would give anything to say have to say that.

My daughter lived with me all her life. She didn't want to live with her dad. her dad had agreed to let her move, but 2 weeks before our Interview he decided against it and withdrew the permission letter. I had been separated from my new hubby for over 2 yrs.( not even a visit) and after finally getting this Visa I was able to be with him. Whereas When others were delighted to get their Visas, mine was bittersweet knowing I would be leaving my sweet daughter behind. I often started to second guess my decision to move. My parents were my saving grace. They are very religious. They told me that things happen for a reason and if I wasn't meant to move to the states I wouldn't have gotten this Visa. That this is only a temporary separation from my daughter. In fact I still have joint custody and she will be moving here to me in 2 yrs when she turns 12. This is written up in our new custody agreement and it cannot be changed.

My daughter is coming March 12th for a visit ( spring break) she will also come for the complete Summer vacation as well.

All I can do is count the days and hope I get thru this temporary albeit devastating situation.

As for people judging those of us who had to leave children behind... as the saying goes... "Until you've walked a mile in my shoes...."

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I know it isn't quite the same but I have 5 younger sibs, two of my brothers are in there 20's but the 3 younger ones are all under the age of 15... I was kind of like a second mom to the younger ones ... I miss them like crazy... :( I hopefully will be able to see them in April.... :)

The night before I left, I was saying goodbye to them and I broke down and cried when I was saying goodbye to my little sister who was 9 at the time :crying:

I miss baking cookies with my 13 year old brother and I miss my 15 year old brother calling me "Monya"... (he called me that when he first starting talking and he still calls me that)....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I feel for all of you so much and I hope that you get to be reunited as soon as possible, be it for a weekend, long vacation or forever.

(F)

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

This thread is so good, I didnt realise so many more of you had been seperated from your kids like me, its something we just dont talk about.

but now i can say it out LOUD....."I miss my little man so much " :(

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

This thread is so good, I didnt realise so many more of you had been seperated from your kids like me, its something we just dont talk about.

but now i can say it out LOUD....."I miss my little man so much " :(

I didn't realize you left alone Amanda.....*hugs* to ya! Society does't take well to women who live without their kids..for whatever reason....I guess that's why there is a kind of 'silence' about it.....who wants to be criticized when there is already alot of pain.... :yes:

Timeline

The response here and the e mails to me in such a short time have been overwhelming and wonderful. I admit I was leary about posting this but my heart has been so heavy over this and it just helps knowing I am not the only parent going through this. As I responded to a good friend I met here on VJ, when I made the final decision in all this I really was looking at the big picture and what was best in the long run. I want my children to always follow their hearts and know nothing is impossible if they want it badly enough. If my daughter ( or son for that matter ) stayed in an unhealthy relationship for any reason I would be disapointed and so I made the choice to set an example and not have them in ten years from now ask me why I wasted even more years of my life pretending to be happy when most likely causing more damage than good. One thing is for sure, this whole life change has made me appreciate my time with family so very much. The details matter, I cherish every single moment. If only we had a crystal ball when making these decisons.. which is why as I said we must follow our hearts and believe in the choices we make. My heart goes out to each of you and please dont be afraid to share this type of thing.. I came searching for some comfort and found it because you spoke up.

K1 AOS

01/17/06.....Sent AOS package out

01/31/06.....NOA

03/15/06.....Biometrics Appointment

05/24/06.....Interview

AOS APPROVED

06/05/06Greencard received... with an error

I-90 Timeline

06/08/06..... Sent out I-90 to have green card error fixed

09/29/06.....Correct Green Card

K2 AOS/AP

01/17/06.....Sent out AOS/AP

01/31/06.....NOA for AOS and AP

03/07/06.....AP approved

03/16/06.....Biometrics Appointment

05/24/06.....Interview

AOS APPROVED

06/05/06Greencard received

03/13/09 10 year green card received :o)

Those of you going through this process with children, particularly those who must leave a child behind, are incredibly strong, and I wish you all the best. (F)

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hello to all of you

I don't post here very often but I came across this post and had to reply. I also left my older daughter who was 21 when I left UK in 2003 and I have shared each and every emotion you have all written about. I too am crying because I miss my lovely girl and friend so much, not ever realising just how long we would have to be apart. The pain hurts so very much some days that I feel lost but nowhere near as lost as she does some days. I have a wonderful life here with my husband. I even have my now 21 year old son here and 3 step children but I still don't have my beautiful daughter and it hurts so much. I know that one day she will join me here in the US but I also know that it will take many years for that day to arrive. I feel for those of you that have younger children as I can't even imagine how you must feeling but I send you warmest wishes and speedy reunions with your child. (F)

Maggie (L)

name='Fetaria' date='Mar 2 2006, 11:13 AM' post='54758']

Anyone out there have a child still living in the country they moved from?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.