Demmy

SSN REQUIRED TO BE ENROLLED INTO DEERS!

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi everyone. I've been in the US for five days now, we got married two days after i got here, my now husband is busy with training and he may be receiving new orders soon so he planned for us to get married as soon as possible. Yesterday he took our marriage certificate and my personal documents to the DEERS office so that i can be enrolled but they requested him to provide my SSN before i could be enrolled. Did any of you experience this? Any comments, advise will be appreciated. Thanks!

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

Hi everyone. I've been in the US for five days now, we got married two days after i got here, my now husband is busy with training and he may be receiving new orders soon so he planned for us to get married as soon as possible. Yesterday he took our marriage certificate and my personal documents to the DEERS office so that i can be enrolled but they requested him to provide my SSN before i could be enrolled. Did any of you experience this? Any comments, advise will be appreciated. Thanks!

Not true - my wife and step daughter were enrolled in DEERS before they got their social security number. They used the alien number "A" number in lieu of the social security number. They told us that when my wife and step daughter got their social security number, to come back and have the data changed.

Heck, my wife was referred to a neurosurgeon by TRICARE before having her social security number.

Timeline

Not true - my wife and step daughter were enrolled in DEERS before they got their social security number. They used the alien number "A" number in lieu of the social security number. They told us that when my wife and step daughter got their social security number, to come back and have the data changed.

Heck, my wife was referred to a neurosurgeon by TRICARE before having her social security number.

Thank you, but i do not understand why the lady at the office was so adamant about it. My hubby will try and get some assistance from his first sergeant. We'll see how it goes.

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

:thumbs:

agree.. i was enrolled in DEERS without SSN. It was even cool that we went to a supercarrier to have it processed... so amazing :wow:

Timeline

I have an email out for info from a friend of mine that does this type of work. When I hear back from him I will pass along the information.

That would be great, please do. I will wait to hear from you. Thanks again

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

Thank you, but i do not understand why the lady at the office was so adamant about it. My hubby will try and get some assistance from his first sergeant. We'll see how it goes.

Many of the folks that process CaC cards will go an entire career without ever seeing a military spouse without a social security number. It is not normal for them and if they are not familiar with all the regs they assume you can't do it. At our base they see it a lot, and the guy just said, "oh I use the alien number in lieu of the SSAN".

Of course we were lazy and when they got their social security number it took us about six months to get around to having it changed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That would be great, please do. I will wait to hear from you. Thanks again

Here is what he had to say:

The documentation needed is essentially the same regardless citizenship.

You will need the Marriage Lic., Foreign Birth Cert. (with English translation in applicable), Social Security Card (if she doesn’t have one a Temporary ID Number (TIN) can be generated at the DEERS office), & Photo ID (Driver’s Lic., Resident ID, Passport, etc.).

Timeline

Here is what he had to say:

The documentation needed is essentially the same regardless citizenship.

You will need the Marriage Lic., Foreign Birth Cert. (with English translation in applicable), Social Security Card (if she doesn’t have one a Temporary ID Number (TIN) can be generated at the DEERS office), & Photo ID (Driver’s Lic., Resident ID, Passport, etc.).

This is helpful. Thank you Greg n Veronica.

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Not true. The first time my husband tried to do that, they refused him on grounds I was not present. The said they need to see the foreign passport and me in person as I have to be present. We went again once I arrived in the US, i got my military dependent ID and on deers, am also on tricare etc.

Timeline

Hi guys, it finally went through. It seems the lady who was at the office did not have a clue about the procedure. My husband enrolled me into DEERS on Thursday and on Friday i showed up with him to get my military ID, after that i went to the TRICARE office, registered and even scheduled an appointment to see the doctor on Monday. To top it up, they didn't even use the A#.

Thanks for your comments and advise :thumbs:

Edited by Demmy

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am SO beyond glad I found this! ok so Ive been married to an active duty marine for almost 2 years now. when i first moved in with him we went down to go and get me an I.d. but i was told i NEEDED a ssn... the officer was beyond rude about the topic I honestly felt humiliated about it. so we left and just kinda gave up about it. I am in the process of applying for a green card but dont have the money for the applications at the moment., I am now 7 months pregnant and havent been able to get correct prenatal check ups for my baby and really need more info on what exactly i need to get into DEERS to get insurance for my pregnancy need help please!!!!!! I have an ITIN but they said they couldnt accept that and that I needed two types of identifications but I only have my Mexico I.D. which is translated in English.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is absolutely false. Deers is something that my department administrates and we have seen this several time. We have a few sailors here with foriegn wives awaiting change of status and we were able to enrol them in DEERS. Just make your case and be stern, you shouldn't have to go without healthcare just because some Yeoman doesn't know how to read a manual. Sorry but I get real frustrated when I hear about proffesionals not knowing their job. Good luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

That is absolutely false. Deers is something that my department administrates and we have seen this several time. We have a few sailors here with foriegn wives awaiting change of status and we were able to enrol them in DEERS. Just make your case and be stern, you shouldn't have to go without healthcare just because some Yeoman doesn't know how to read a manual. Sorry but I get real frustrated when I hear about proffesionals not knowing their job. Good luck

When I went to renew my military dependent ID, the staff there told me I can't do it since I dont have a SSN. And they said once you're married, the gov gives you 9 months to get the SSN, which we couldn't due to the immigration process (backlogged, taking way too long) so until today, I still don't have a greencard or a SSN. On top of that, they said they need a letter from SSN office saying why I dont have a SSN at the time being. I'm still on Tricare and all that but if something happens, then I won't be able to get it covered ie broke my leg etc. The lady my husband talked to refused to help, said it wsa standard procedure. My husband made her call her regional supervisor and talked to the guy, who said the same thing, so right now, we don't even know if that's even true (whatever she told us about not getting coverage without SSN).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.