bloveb

Marital Status, Citizenship and Taxes

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Thread split, please post your questions in a thread of its own as sometime they can get lost when a post is much older and not the same.~~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For your marital status on your N-400 you should file as married as for the tax forms just change your status with your HR or accounting office as married so it is reflective as of this year. You should be okay. Filing taxes is the most important thing. You can always correct it if the IO has any questions during your interview.

Our Naturalization Journey (Detailed timeline in About Me section)

01/14/2013 Mailed N-400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
01/18/2013 N-400 fees check cashed
01/18/2013 NOA Received (Biometrics appointment)
02/04/2013 Early Biometrics (Original date 02/14/2013)
02/07/2013 Status changed to in line for interview
02/13/2013 Received 2nd NOA (Interview scheduled)
02/15/2013 Received yellow letter from USCIS to bring DL
03/18/2013 N-400 Interview

03/20/2013 Status changed to in que for Oath ceremony
03/29/2013 Status changed to Oath ceremony scheduled and letter sent

04/01/2013 Received Oath Letter
04/09/2013 Oath Ceremony (N-400 completed in 2 months 3 weeks and 5 days)

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My Wife is not in USA, I have filed for her and she will be here soon, My question is How do i go with the Marital Status in Citizenship form if i have filed for my tax as single? Help Please

Is your N400 application based on the 3 or 5 year rule? If it is based on the 3 year rule then you should have filed your taxes as married and filing jointly or have some compelling justification for filing separately. Filing taxes jointly, along with other evidence, helps establish the legitimacy of your marriage.

The bottom line: BE HONEST! Why did you file as single if you were married? Is it because your wife was away? Do you think that makes you single? I am just trying to understand the big picture because you havent explained that much.

What seems logical to me is to say in your N400 form that you are married and prepare some valid justification for filing taxes as single!

If you can't change your mind, are you sure you still have one?

03/07/2013 N-400(Marriage based)mailed to Dallas,TX office
03/14/2013 Check cashed
03/13/2013 NOA
04/05/2013 Biometrics(done)
04/09/2013 In line for the interview

05/29/2013 Interview

06/14/2013 Oath letter

08/07/2013 Oath ceremony (5 months since application)

08/07/2013 A US citizen!

December 2013 U.S. Passport and new Social Security card in hand!

My Facebook page for teaching English: https://www.facebook.com/EnglishForMoroccansNow/

Filed: Timeline

Is your N400 application based on the 3 or 5 year rule? If it is based on the 3 year rule then you should have filed your taxes as married and filing jointly or have some compelling justification for filing separately. Filing taxes jointly, along with other evidence, helps establish the legitimacy of your marriage.

He didn't say he did "married filing separately". He said "single". It doesn't matter if he's applying for naturalization or not, or what rule he is applying under, if he is married and files as "single", that is tax fraud.

The bottom line: BE HONEST! Why did you file as single if you were married? Is it because your wife was away? Do you think that makes you single? I am just trying to understand the big picture because you havent explained that much.

What seems logical to me is to say in your N400 form that you are married and prepare some valid justification for filing taxes as single!

There is no justification for filing as single. It is wrong. If he did this he needs to go back and amend it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

One thing for sure, by filing single, you sure paid a lot more taxes than filing married. Well provided your income was above the poverty level.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bhutan
Timeline

I Filed as single because my wife is not in US yet. She is Away and Never been here, i petitioned for her and its in Process. Do i have to apply as married if she is not here and never worked here. Im trying appy for N-400 in 5 years basis. Hope it makes more clear of what i wanted to know.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I Filed as single because my wife is not in US yet. She is Away and Never been here, i petitioned for her and its in Process. Do i have to apply as married if she is not here and never worked here. Im trying appy for N-400 in 5 years basis. Hope it makes more clear of what i wanted to know.

You need to amend your taxes from 'single' to 'married filing separately' beginning with the year in which yo got married, e.g. if you got married in 2011 you need to amend the taxes for 2011 (filed in 2012) and 2012 (filed this year).

In your naturalization application you must enter your correct status, which is 'married'.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

You need to amend your taxes from 'single' to 'married filing separately' beginning with the year in which yo got married, e.g. if you got married in 2011 you need to amend the taxes for 2011 (filed in 2012) and 2012 (filed this year).

In your naturalization application you must enter your correct status, which is 'married'.

Good luck!

Thanks, How do i do that ? Call IRS?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've been filing our taxes as married-filing-jointly these last 3 tax seasons, but I got an ITIN for my wife via IRS Form W-7.

You can pursue that, file a paper file to the IRS with an AMENDED TAX RETURN anytime you are ready.

Once you file the amended return, showing the 'married-filing-jointly' status, it negates what you did before.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

why? Study the IRS website, instead !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can do it yourself. Below is a link to the IRS site where you can download your 1040X and instructions.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1040X,-Amended-U.S.-Individual-Income-Tax-Return

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I've been filing our taxes as married-filing-jointly these last 3 tax seasons, but I got an ITIN for my wife via IRS Form W-7.

You can pursue that, file a paper file to the IRS with an AMENDED TAX RETURN anytime you are ready.

Once you file the amended return, showing the 'married-filing-jointly' status, it negates what you did before.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Yeah, I was supposed to get that ITIN but... :crying: :crying: also the Tax person where i did last year said it not necessary to file as Married if she is not in the US, that's why i did as Single, I didn't Realized that it Affects in my Naturalization... :crying:

Thanks all for your help Though...............

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

First off, I would definitely find another Tax person.! .. Married is married, it is just filing separate or jointly. If you are not single, you don't file... But as others have guided you, no worries, super easy to amend and get back right!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

First off, I would definitely find another Tax person.! .. Married is married, it is just filing separate or jointly. If you are not single, you don't file... But as others have guided you, no worries, super easy to amend and get back right!

Do i have to wait for the amendment before i apply for N-400 or i can apply and take that Letter to Interview?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.