johnnyv

Difference in time from proposal to filing k1

11 posts in this topic

I plan on proposing to my girlfriend (not saying when because she's on this forum too!) but the time from when we propose to the time we file will be separated by a few months. We're waiting to file, so if 10 months is the time it generally gets approved, she'll just be finishing school. So we'd like to finish school and get the approval around the same time.

My question is regarding crossing the border. Because there is a few months lapse, is it wise to say fiancee or continue as boyfriend/girlfriend until we've filed? I don't know if it would cause confusing or denial by saying fiancee but no K-1 filed yet. Any insight?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

If you plan on moving in 10 months, I would start the paperwork today. The process generally takes 10 months or more!

That and you can drag out the NVC and embassy stage and then wait usually up to 6 months after receiving a visa to enter. :thumbs:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree file, the time difference will not matter. But file now, otherwise you will be driving yourself crazy when you want to file only to have to sit and wait while your application goes no where.

PROPOSE First. Then file.

Filed: Other Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

PROPOSE First. Then file.

After first thinking about my orginial answer I would say I was wrong. Doesn't both parties have to sign the application? so that would have Propose first then file. Propose online, mail paperwork back and forth and start the paperwork process. Getting in line for the visa is the important thing in my mind since you will be waiting so long anyway. Just read some of the other comments how they are going crazy waiting for the visa. You will understand where I am coming from

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After first thinking about my orginial answer I would say I was wrong. Doesn't both parties have to sign the application? so that would have Propose first then file. Propose online, mail paperwork back and forth and start the paperwork process. Getting in line for the visa is the important thing in my mind since you will be waiting so long anyway. Just read some of the other comments how they are going crazy waiting for the visa. You will understand where I am coming from

Petition.

And a formal proposal is not necessary for the I129F to be sent off.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I'm sorry, I don't think I made myself completely clear.

Currently she is enrolled in a teachers program for college, which isn't to be finished until June 2014. I know the process will take roughly 10 months and we planned on filing around September of this year, to hopefully be approved about the time she's going to finish school.

I planned on proposing to her in May when she comes down. But I was concerned if that I propose in May, and we file in September, she'll be visiting within that time frame. At that point is it bad to say we're engaged but haven't filed the K-1? Will that make them deny her entry? Does this make sense?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

One of the things you will need when filing the I-129F is a signed letter from her stating her intent to marry you. So it's hard to see how you could petition first and then propose later on a practical level, even if a proposal is not requirement per se.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If your girlfriend visits this cite frequently you might as well propose now before she reads it in the post. You gave up enough detail for her to figure it out. Good luck and congratulations. Propose now and file right away

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Many Canadiens have this issue, and have written about how to overcome it (this border crossing from the North)

so, find their threads, read a bit (I really mean - read a lot)

Good Luck to her !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.