Bill and Tanya

Why would a Russian be denied K1 visa at interview?

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I really think you are both right. On the narrow issue of where, specifically, the meeting occurs, who cares? But on the larger issue of whether you have met each other's family and friends as well, and can document all that with photos, etc., it will go far in helping to establish you have a bona-fide relationship when you need to prove that later on. From what I have seen personally though, I don't believe that most people who actually do have that bona-fide relationship will have any significant problem in demonstrating that to the officials involved. Most of this advice is probably only needed by those trying to prove something that is not as real as it should be. So I guess I am pretty close to your position on this but I can see the point SMR was making.

All evidence is good and people in this process need to go out of their way to be assured they are generating evidence. I went back to Pasha's school several times to make sure they put BOTH our names on all correspondence and to make sure we were BOTH listed as "parents" and "responsible parties" They kept dropping my name from the mailed items and when I checked...sure enough they had dropped my name for other records. Why? Get this...Alla's last name was so long that it caused them to have to use a couple extra keystrokes to get her name and my name both on all the records. The "default" program would cut off my name because hers was too long. :lol: For a US citizen...who cares? For someone that is going to use school and medical records as proof of relationship (very powerful proof because a scammer is not going to turn over the welfare of her children) then you have to have both names on there.

I am not against overkill. I am against causing a member angst over information that is not correct. Meeting your future is important evidence, meeting her family is important evidence (family may not be in the same city or country as fiancee) but where you meet is of no matter whatsoever.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I brought it in a carry on bag. Good thing because Air France was right on their game and sent my luggage somewhere else. Air France/CDG layover virtually assures lost luggage. Carry it on, hold it in your hand. :lol:

In our case it was WAY overkill but who cares? I only recently discarded all that stuff...after citizenship

Oh yes! They will be with me in the plane not in my checked luggage. Learned my lesson there the hard way, after 5 days of the same clothes and 7 hours in customs and 125.oo getting my suitcase back. Only to find they stole every gift I had for her out of it! It's funny now but not at the time I was rather pissed to be honest.. :lol:

event.png

Timeline

I brought it in a carry on bag. Good thing because Air France was right on their game and sent my luggage somewhere else. Air France/CDG layover virtually assures lost luggage. Carry it on, hold it in your hand. :lol:

In our case it was WAY overkill but who cares? I only recently discarded all that stuff...after citizenship

I will definitely second the Air France/CDG layover as being a good way to lose your luggage, and I've heard it from others as well.

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So it's possible to be denied over only meeting once?

That is not being said. It is possible to be denied for not having a legitimate relationship. Number of visits does not prove anything to that concern.

We only met once and were approved.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

So we have a lot of pictures emails, bills letters we are the same age I make enough more than 125% can someone just have a bad day and deny just because of it? I'm always a little nervous when someone's sole judgement has such a impact on my life

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So we have a lot of pictures emails, bills letters we are the same age I make enough more than 125% can someone just have a bad day and deny just because of it? I'm always a little nervous when someone's sole judgement has such a impact on my life

Anything's possible but if all your evidence, when put together, can convince a total stranger, that you obviously have a legitimate relationship, then you are good to go. Moscow is not a hard Embassy.

Again, it's the content that is most important, not the quantity. If you guys act and speak like a couple that is truly bent on living together and becoming married and staying that way, then you're fine.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I can't attend the interview because I've spent all my vacation time and then some visiting her (41 days total in just the last year). I assume that won't be an issue? There just wasn't any way to get work to allow me to take off the time even if I had the vacation which I don't.

Timeline

I have something similar to yours. We met once, in her city, I met her parents many times (with pictures of course) and I had been plannign a 2nd trip, but my father got sick, and eventually died this year in April.

So, I sent the death certificate, obituary (which has my name in it) and a letter explaing why we could not meet a 2nd time, and that i was saving my last week of vacation for when Svetlana came, so that we could spend a nice 10 days together here, getting her used to my house, the area i live in, etc..

We dont have a TON of pictueres together, like 20 or so, but they are of us together, and with her parents, and Have 1000s of pages of chats and letters.

As far as I can tell, all of my evidence is fine, and income is fine, and such, but I have this feeling, it depends on the mood of the interviewer.

Timeline

I always wonder how you can make a decision to marry after one meeting (Skype Shcmype :-) ). Casting no aspersions. Puts a lot of pressure on that 90 day period. If money is the problem with visiting how are you (the general "you" not anyone specific) going to afford to support someone with a child or children who won't be able to contribute financially to the family for some time. Just some thoughts. Good luck to all...

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

I am pretty sure that was not directed at me, as I never mentioned money as the problem for not visiting a 2nd time (and it was not, as I am comfortable in that regards)

For me, one visit was the proverbial 'icing on the cake' that I was sure. the 5-6 hours on SKype every single day, looking at houses thru Skype together, cooking together thru skype (God Bless Skype...lol). cooking the same meals together as we ingredients allowed, it was THOSE times that made me sure. When I started planning my garden in the backyard, she asked which vegetables grew in East Tennessee, and shared pictures of her parents garden (which I only saw in the late fall in person).

There is no 'time limit' on when you fall in love. It happens when it happens, right?

My reason fornot seeing ehr again, was 100% because my father. His sickness lasting so long, and his eventual death very recently, by the time the dust cleared on the funeral and tying up the loose ends, our NOA2 was in.

This woman changed my life in so many ways, aand did it from 12000 miles away. Cant wait to see what miracles she can do when she is in the same house every day.

Timeline

I am pretty sure that was not directed at me, as I never mentioned money as the problem for not visiting a 2nd time (and it was not, as I am comfortable in that regards)

For me, one visit was the proverbial 'icing on the cake' that I was sure. the 5-6 hours on SKype every single day, looking at houses thru Skype together, cooking together thru skype (God Bless Skype...lol). cooking the same meals together as we ingredients allowed, it was THOSE times that made me sure. When I started planning my garden in the backyard, she asked which vegetables grew in East Tennessee, and shared pictures of her parents garden (which I only saw in the late fall in person).

There is no 'time limit' on when you fall in love. It happens when it happens, right?

My reason fornot seeing ehr again, was 100% because my father. His sickness lasting so long, and his eventual death very recently, by the time the dust cleared on the funeral and tying up the loose ends, our NOA2 was in.

This woman changed my life in so many ways, aand did it from 12000 miles away. Cant wait to see what miracles she can do when she is in the same house every day.

No, not directed at anyone specific. Just thinking out loud. Like I said in my post....I wish everyone the best of luck.good.gif

Edited by Tanya and Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

I always wonder how you can make a decision to marry after one meeting (Skype Shcmype :-) ). Casting no aspersions. Puts a lot of pressure on that 90 day period. If money is the problem with visiting how are you (the general "you" not anyone specific) going to afford to support someone with a child or children who won't be able to contribute financially to the family for some time. Just some thoughts. Good luck to all...

I have always wondered the same thing. To me, it's crazy. In the 22 months from meeting to getting engaged, I visited my wife (then gf) in her country at least 10-12 times, for 3-5 days each. Grant it, it's only a 4-5 hour flight from NY to Costa Rica, not like trekking from midwest US to Eastern Europe. And even after all those trips and spending all that time together, I was not 100% sure that it was going to work out. There's so many cultural differences, so I just can't comprehend how people are willing to marry their skype gf/bf.

But if that's not scary enough, what about the people who are ready to marry without EVER meeting in person? Skype may be great and all, but there are too many people who are too good a scammers out there to rely only on a video chat. There are questions from time to time from people who have never met but are asking how they could bring their bf/gf over? And the only reason that they do eventually meet in person is to satisfy the CIS requirement.

And it seems that the common denominator for many (not all) who meet only once is money issues. Many of them seem like they are young (late teens, early 20's). Maybe it's their first real relationship and they fall head over heels and all. But being yound, they don't have the finances to travel to Europe or Asia to meet the person they want to marry. So again, agreeing with you, how will they support a wife (and possibly step kid(s)) when they can't afford to fly to their country to meet...

In the end, to each his own....

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline

I have always wondered the same thing. To me, it's crazy. In the 22 months from meeting to getting engaged, I visited my wife (then gf) in her country at least 10-12 times, for 3-5 days each. Grant it, it's only a 4-5 hour flight from NY to Costa Rica, not like trekking from midwest US to Eastern Europe. And even after all those trips and spending all that time together, I was not 100% sure that it was going to work out. There's so many cultural differences, so I just can't comprehend how people are willing to marry their skype gf/bf.

But if that's not scary enough, what about the people who are ready to marry without EVER meeting in person? Skype may be great and all, but there are too many people who are too good a scammers out there to rely only on a video chat. There are questions from time to time from people who have never met but are asking how they could bring their bf/gf over? And the only reason that they do eventually meet in person is to satisfy the CIS requirement.

And it seems that the common denominator for many (not all) who meet only once is money issues. Many of them seem like they are young (late teens, early 20's). Maybe it's their first real relationship and they fall head over heels and all. But being yound, they don't have the finances to travel to Europe or Asia to meet the person they want to marry. So again, agreeing with you, how will they support a wife (and possibly step kid(s)) when they can't afford to fly to their country to meet...

In the end, to each his own....

Sure, going to Central America compared to a 30 or more hour flight (each way), and that is if EVERYTHING goes perfectly (my trip was a nightmare, and I lost two full days due to Lufthansa on strike and the DNC convention re routing everything) So my 10 day trip turned into a 7 day trip very quick, since I also had to leave a little earlier because of the whole mess, is NOT a good comparison.

how can anyone even get the visa without ever meeting in person? I thought the requirement was ONE meeting, so why would you even go thru the process without ever meeting. since it is one of the FEW requirements.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.